Main Menu

1368 - Seeing Red.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 24 November, 2003, 05:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simian

i liked this prog. it was good.

DREDD
Siku artwork: OK, its a little unclear in some action scenes, but i think thats deliberate - showing a sense of confusion and conveying frenetic action (which the story is full of). This has been the most kinetic dredd story i can remember, thanks to the writer[backslash]artist pairing, so yah boo sucks if you don't like Dredd's chin/eagle/klegg/etc.

DEAD MEN WALKING
Much improved in this episode. Jude becomes a much more interesting character (from dull 'Strong Female Character' to slightly less dull secret agent to CHAINSAW WIELDING ZOMBIE WITH A GRUDGE! nice.)
Dialogue is still a bit vollocks though. Women saying 'Bitch' in a macho fashion (see also sigourney weaver) really makes me cringe. from embarassment, not fear.

CABBAGELISTICS
Dom Reardon, will you marry me? No, really.

SYNNAMON
Growing on me by the week. I'd prefer it to be a little camper. Just a touch more of that sixties flippant silliness. And maybe spread a little thinner. Sometimes events seem so condensed that its like drinking pure concentrate orange squash. But E-numbers can be fun :)
Finally i'd like to say that i like her bottom. Yay to Laurence Campbell and his bottom drawing abilities! i'm sorry for my totally unfounded criticism of one of your pages on the 2000ad Review forum, i've since revised my opinion and felt very silly. doh!

Durham Red
errrr. dunno. its. um. don't know. Some nice art. Don't really like the wierd style of 'lets spend ages painting Red and her lovely face and lovely breasts and lovely barely concealed naughty bits, aaaaand ah bollocks i'll scribble the rest in'.
And for one disconcerting moment she looked just like Geri Halliwell. eek!
But the start was really nice, and ooh look its Johnny, i haven't seen him since that amusing taxman caper, i wonder when the Osmongs and the Stix brothers will come back oh they're dead etc etc.

Mr C

Only just got my Pog this lunchtime so:

Dredd- The Dredd alien foe hoe down continues. The art is really getting to me with this, apparently there are Klegs somewhere on the last page, but I just see these gray globs that say Kegg-Hai. I don't know, it just feels like there wasn't too much effort put inot his.

DMW: At last! I was starting to get worried that Jude wouldn't fing the Alien thing that makesthe zombies. I started off feeling pretty unimpressed by this, but Boo's art has really grown on me and I've come to enjoy it as a nice piece of B-movie hokum.

caballistics: Wooo! Gordon keeps the plot lines coming thick and fast. So many questions raised by just one episode and I can't wait to see what happens next. Great stuff!

Space Chick and the Robo-Zombies: Still not really enjoying this at all. Feels too derivative.

Durham Red- Bit of a dissapointing cliff-hanger, still can't really empathise with Durham. Is she meant to be a heroine or just some tart with big guns? Oh, nice use of an omnitron with the memory recorder being able to tell the ship how to make the SD weaponry.

Oddboy

Only got the prog yesterday (Thursday! C'mon postie! Pull yer socks up!).
My comments, with out reading all of the above:

Cover - a bit *too* closeup, can't really tell what the various metally bits are.

Forthcoming Attractions - Elson does another "wacky-aliens" strip...this guy is getting type cast in a baaaad way. Still, hopefully it'll be better then Atavar/Avatar (I can't remember & don't care enough to look it up).

Dredd - appalling! Just terrible...story & art. Although it's hard to tell if the story would be better with a good artist or if the art would be better if it wasn't having to portray creatures/characters that are beyond Siku. Either way; PLEASE end this now.

Dead Men Walking - enjoying this plenty, a good fun jolly romp of a tale. Interesting the way the dead are given the 'option' to come back to life - I liked that.

Caballistics, Inc. - YAY! need I say more?

Synnamon - YAWN! need I say more? yeah I might as well.  Sorry, but I've just got *bored* with this. I preferred Bison, at least that was entertaining! And now she's a cyber-zombie. Care.

Durham Red - Yeah this was good. Looking forward to the (concluding?) book (you mean it's only 2 books? They've passed up the chance to make it a Trilogy? Rant avoided, nice one Abnett).

Letters page - what? No letters page? It can't be because no one's sent in any letters, because I have. Print it Thargy-baby! Give me postcards.

So what new thrills are in line for next week?
Or will there be double-length episodes for the existing stories?

Oddboy.
Better set your phaser to stun.

GordonR

There's a reviie of this week's prog on Silver Bullets today.

Link: http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/106996548899632.htm" target="_blank">right here:

Krustabi

Relative newbie's opinion

Dredd: Don't really like John Smith, expected MUCH more gore. Art is murky

DMW: This is now really good, the strip has definately grown on me.

Cabals:MIND-FUCKINGLY BRILLIANT

Synnamon:Meeehh. Is Ascheta now evil of his own accord or has he been "possessed" by Kassad?

Durham Red: Lame

At the start of this offensive(My third) I hated everything (Cabals doesn't count). This has been upgraded to "O.K". I cannae wait to see what happens in Cabals. in the next story.

Jared Katooie

And much praise heaped on Gordon! ;)

Jimbo San

Hmmm. A bit of a mixed bag this week.

Cover - Okay. I like Boo cook's artwork, but I am still puzzled as to what is going on here.

Dredd - Having not read the early stories where these aliens appear, this stories is leaving me cold at the minute.

Dead Men Jogging - Wo. Didn't see that coming. Jude as a zombie? Cool idea. Hope more is made of it.

Caballistics - Brilliant, once again. Mr Rennie, take a bow.

Suga and Spice - I actually like it quite a lot. looking forward to seeing how the ending goes.

Durham Red - Having not seen any of the previous SD strips, and therefore only knowing her from the Mark Harrison era onward, I have never been that attached to her. Has she always acted like a hooker, or did that just start when they thawed her out?
Anyway, more subliminal messages in the artwork. Last week it was "Muff", and this week it is "Snatch". What is Mark Harrison trying to tell us? :oP

Queen Firey-Bou

Dredd; smiths writting irritating & klunky, siku irritating, yukky colours.

Kabbalismiks; Dom & Gordie-pie deserve extra bourbons again.

DMW; have been enjoying, but it gets better & groovier. get the Vitch !

Durham-grey; Don't mind this, i want to know more about the son, what happens next ? what happens before? i'm annoyed when writers leap forward hugely in time for no good reason, i think it's lazy & causes more continuity trouble than its worth, OUr red's done this twice. hmmmm. worse thing is that g-string, its the most un-sexy stupid thing known to mankind.

spammynaomon; again, theres real nice bits to the Art then real keechh, the story is utterly failing to engage, i just don't care , even a gymnastic robo zombie in an alice band just makes me yawn.

Bony Fella

"Have Judges ever referred to each other as "helmets" before? I would have thought I'd remember"

I was browing through some old progs and GNs this morning, and I found a page from the Top Dogs story from the 1991 annual (with Johnny Alpha etc) where Dredd says 'Get some helmets there fast' or similar. Also reprinted in the Top Dog GN Thats the only one I can think of right now... Yes, I know this is delayed, but when I read helmets it made me think of this thread, so thought I'd mention it.... I'll be quiet now.