Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 December, 2018, 10:03:45 PM

Up to Ep 3 of The Haunting of Hill House and finding it as dull as ditchwater so far. However, I'll give it a couple more episodes just in case there's something cool lurking under the surface.

Don't do it! It gets worse not better, I stuck with it on a recommendation, and the resolution is crap, the how and especially the why behind the house isn't resolved, and the family stuff is pure Whovian  'love will save us'

A complete was of a great set too...
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

Yeah, last episode was dismal. It kinda hooked me with the floaty walking stick guy but then ended up letting me down. Still fancy watching it again sometime just to make sure but my hopes have crumbled somewhat.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Thanks for the heads-up there chaps, I had almost persuaded the missus that HHH would be next on our list.  Think you've saved us the bother.

The Legendary Shark

To be fair, I liked the structure of it and some folk do seem to love it. Don't let my subjective opinion sway you too much. It is dull, though...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Think Trouty liked it too, but if you and the Huffster give it the fins-down that's enough reasonable-doubt for me to move on to some dodgy foreign crime thriller instead...

Tiplodocus

I really liked the resolution for the family. Sure it left a couple of questions unanswered but for me, it tied up nicely. [spoiler]Plus there's still always the chance they never got out and are all trapped in a fantasy in the red room.[/spoiler]
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

See? no fecking answers, handwavey timeywimey stuff. There are so many plot holes, tropes,  missed opportunities, things thrown in and then not addressed/explained or even spoken about, its infuriating to a pedant.

On the other hand a great friend of mine loves it and waxes lyrical and the family stuff...

DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Proudhuff on 05 December, 2018, 03:28:35 PM
See? no fecking answers, handwavey timeywimey stuff. There are so many plot holes, tropes,  missed opportunities, things thrown in and then not addressed/explained or even spoken about, its infuriating to a pedant.

On the other hand a great friend of mine loves it and waxes lyrical and the family stuff...

But it's a ghost story! A solid science based explaination would totally miss the point. Much like explaining jokes kills them. Explaining ghosts with anything other than "And the butler was trapped crying for help all along and people still hear his cries to this day" would kill it

Proudhuff

The Butler did it!  :o now I understand...

DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Why is it always the butler, but somehow it's never Lupus?

Now y'all have me intrigued again with yer reasoned arguments and flourishes of sophistry. We're finishing up Better Call Saul* tonight, so m-a-y-b-e....

*Now firmly my favourite Netflix thing ever, better by some margin than Breaking Bad.  I'm enthralled by the depth to which I have cared about each and every character, with no obvious division between those whose fates I already know and the new ones.  Even hideous pricks like Howard have their hooks deep in me. Astounding work.

Tiplodocus

I liked the fact they were aware that it was never lupus even to the extent that House hid his drugs in a book on lupus.

Dandontdare

Okay, I've just started one of those 30 day trials with Amazon Prime (to get free delivery on some Christmas shopping!) - any top tips for stuff I should binge through before it expires?

Tiplodocus

Marellous Miss Maisel is great and not much else like it on tv.

Theblazeuk

Agents of Shield goes from trash in its early first season to gold and continues to deliver decent levels of comic booky thrillpower from thereon.

Smith