Main Menu

The Boys TV series - Karl Urban cast as Butcher

Started by Steve Green, 06 April, 2018, 09:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgefloyd

We (son and I) thought the penultimate episode was a bit too rushed, like they had a lot to get through, and the last episode was total genius.  Fingers crossed for Season 3.  I never get these things right, but my guesses are:

- Noir's big reveal turns out to be like it was in the comic
- That [spoiler]peanut allergy thing[/spoiler] will be important in S3
- More head-exploding scenes are on their way (feel I'm on solid ground with this one)

judgefloyd

More prediction-guesses while I'm in the mood:

- Billy Joel cameo?
- brief appearance by Stormfront looking terrible? (more likely than Billy Joel)
- Kimiko continues her 'ugly duckling' thing and looks ridiculously good
- possible appearance of that pdofile version of the X-Men from the comics?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: judgefloyd on 14 October, 2020, 02:56:56 AM

You're still living in Japan, I'm guessing  ;)  But I agree whole-heartedly.  I was never sure whether the comics version of her was a child or an adult (hopefully the latter for Frenchie's sake).  Can't remember if she had a real name in the comics either; everyone on the show does now.

I'm not sure if the Noir reveal can be the same as in the comic, unless Homelander [spoiler]is going to spend the next season or two apparently doing all those awful, Crossed-type things he seems to do in the comic. [/spoiler]  Which he may well do, I suppose, judging by his very unpleasant rooftop solo scene in which he proves he is indeed [spoiler]a first-class wanker.[/spoiler]

It's a great show and I can't wait for more.  Well done to all involved.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richard

TV Black Noir isn't white, so he can't have the same plotline he had in the comic. I hope the writers give him something to do though.

moogie101

Quote from: Richard on 16 October, 2020, 04:40:51 PM
TV Black Noir isn't white, so he can't have the same plotline he had in the comic. I hope the writers give him something to do though.

I thought what we little we saw of him looked burned rather than reflecting the character's race.

Rately

I'd assumed that he was scarred, or was having a severe allergic reaction.

Whatever way it is played, it will obviously be a plot point, and still think for maximum shock value, though at this stage there has been so much shock, they will go for the reveal from the original books.

Season overall was very good. I'm still interested in the next season, and though i'm not a fan of gore, i think that the writing and some of the very sharp, pointed messages the show is trying to convey and get across will have me sat watching this next season.

From way the season was left, are we now literally at Issue 1? The status Quo seems to be set for them to now be working for the Government, and perhaps time they were "upgraded."

judgefloyd

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 October, 2020, 03:31:46 PM

You're still living in Japan, I'm guessing  ;)  But I agree whole-heartedly.  I was never sure whether the comics version of her was a child or an adult (hopefully the latter for Frenchie's sake).  Can't remember if she had a real name in the comics either; everyone on the show does now.

I'm not sure if the Noir reveal can be the same as in the comic, unless Homelander [spoiler]is going to spend the next season or two apparently doing all those awful, Crossed-type things he seems to do in the comic. [/spoiler]  Which he may well do, I suppose, judging by his very unpleasant rooftop solo scene in which he proves he is indeed [spoiler]a first-class wanker.[/spoiler]

I've been back in Australia for ages, Mr Jayzus.  I'm watching the show with my teenage son who is massively pro-Kimiko.  We're betting on the Noir reveal being the same as in the comics, but really have no idea. 

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: judgefloyd on 31 October, 2020, 11:59:47 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 October, 2020, 03:31:46 PM

I've been back in Australia for ages, Mr Jayzus.  I'm watching the show with my teenage son who is massively pro-Kimiko.  We're betting on the Noir reveal being the same as in the comics, but really have no idea.

Didn't realise you were an Ozzer!  Yeah, Kimiko is a great character, and it's probably not a bad idea to give the only female member of the team a name other than 'the Female'.  Although it's a good move to bring Starlight into The Boys too, even if it's only on a part-time basis. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

judgefloyd

My other (no doubt) crap prediction/guess is that Noir's nut allergy will be important later on.  I'm still on the fence about the other ones; they keep saying we haven't seen Noir - Homelander tells us he doesn't identify as any race - ie nobody's seen his face.  Could be a scarred Homelander, could be a black version of him....I dunno.
  Yeah, I've been back here (Melbourne) for a while.  I'll never stop missing Japan, but I'm over my reverse culture shock by now. 

Richard

QuoteI thought what we little we saw of him looked burned rather than reflecting the character's race.

It doesn't matter why they look different; if you can tell them apart then they can't have the same story they had in the comic.

Tiplodocus

Episode six was an absolute corker. Just seems all round smarter than the source material (which I enjoyed what I read) Still trying to figure out if Lamplighter was played by Jimmy Olsen or Iceman!

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

PsychoGoatee

Just like to add, Karl Urban is the coolest man on the planet. And what a fun role. Man, he just steals the show in this.

A fun watch in general, my main complaint is just general serialized/TV-ness, the [ending status quo spoilers] [spoiler]how it seems we're gonna be stuck with Homelander for years and years. It reminds me of the Joffrey years of Game of Thrones. Also, how the good gals on the team are blackmailing him instead o just devising a plan to kill him asap.[/spoiler]

In general a really fun and solid show, and well worth it for Butcher's over-the-top gloriousness.

Richard

Homelander is the main villain of the story, so he's likely to stick around until the end of the series. He's not Joffrey, he's Cersei, Danerys and the Night King all in one.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Richard on 29 November, 2020, 12:21:25 AM
Homelander is the main villain of the story, so he's likely to stick around until the end of the series. He's not Joffrey, he's Cersei, Danerys and the Night King all in one.

For me, based on just the show, he doesn't quite have the substance to warrant that position. I don't know if that's the case that he's the main villain for the comic run (and know that answer would be spoiler territory), but that's just my take on it here.

It can feel a bit formulaic and boxed in etc if you know this guy has to stick around the whole time, when just killing him would make the most sense. I guess it's tough to compare shows without being spoilery, but take say The Wire. Or The Sopranos, or various shows. Being a villain for say 3 seasons would be quite a feather in Homelander's cap from my perspective, I'd just prefer that he don't stick around for the whole run. So, I'm watching for Butcher basically, and I agree with his position I guess. Let's score some kills for the team here.  :D

Richard

That's fair enough, but Homelander is the most powerful supe, so if they kill him then nobody who replaced him could seem as threatening.