Main Menu

Jonah Hex

Started by DavidXBrunt, 20 March, 2009, 10:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti have been producing some mighty fine western comics over the last 3 and a half years.

If memory serves the DC Showcase Presents volume was the first of the non cape titles covered and I bought it on a whim, enamoured with the format of the books as much as anything else. (That much comic for so few pennies?) I hurtled through the book and loved it (and as a 2000 A.D. reader was pleasantly surprised by Mike Fleischer). At the back of the book was Frank Quitelys cover to issue 1. Next time I went to the comic shop I picked up issue one.

And I've been reading it ever since. It may not be top of the pile when the monthly comics arrive but it never dissapoints.

What impresses me most is the ever changing tone. Some months it'll be a comedy with the worlds unluckiest bank robber stumbling across a hungover Jonah. Another month it'll be a grisly tale of revenge seeking sisters who wield a cleaver, crippling and hobbling men and keeping them in pens. Then three friends will run away from the circus to become bounty hunters. Next month a serial killer stalks the west...

Mostly self contained tales the few multi-part stories seem epic in comparison, and are rare treats. There are occasional back references linking the stories but even then everything makes sense to the newcomer.

For solid, well written comic bookery I can't think of anything else as consistant and surprising.

So, you know, why aren't you reading it?

Roger Godpleton

Seconded.

Got the first TPB from the library and read today. Spooky...
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Colin YNWA

Couldn't agree more about the current series. The Showcase Presents is getting towards the top of my 'to read' pile and really looking forward to it.

Also looking forward to seeing how the up coming 6 issue arc plays out. While I love the done in one stuff its good to see them playing with the format a bit. AND then I believe its Darwyn Cooke drawing issue 50 - WHOOPEE. All looking good on the Jonah Hex front and Dan Didio's recent comments seem to suggest DC are really commited to the book even if the sales aren't stella as it broadens their portfolio. Another plus for DC in my book.

ukdane

I'm afraid I gave up on it about a year ago, it just didn't captivate me as much as I'd hoped.

I also think that they should have made it a Vertigo title.
Cheers

-Daney

DavidXBrunt

Supernatural edge to it? Vetigo gave it a stab in the nineties. It's mainstream now, baby.

Colin YNWA

Well just read issue 50 and have to say it is frankly superb. For anyone who likes western comics, or heck just plain great comics in general treat yourself pop to your local comic shop and shell out on this book. Its an absolute gem. Its $3.99 (whatever that translates to in your local shop), you get 38 pages of art by Darwyn Cooke and more story than you'll get in 6 issues of any $3.99 Avengers title with still enough time to have truely chilling scenes played out with wonderful pacing.

For those that have read it the scene with Jonah in the jailhouse with standing off with the sheriff is just glorious huh.

Mike Gloady

Hmmmmmm,

I'm thinking of AT SOME STAGE (i.e. after I've cleared the decks of titles I'm trying to catch up with and I've got hold of the Marvel Conan collections which I've yet to start) dipping my toe into Jonah Hex.  Any character that's once been written by the supreme talent that is Joe R. Lansdale has to be worth a look and westerns are always fun (look at Strontium Dog for example).

What should I seek out first.....
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Goatilocks

I've read the DC Showcase Jonah Hex and love it (as well as The Unknown Soldier). Gritty revenge western that doesn't pull any punches.

Mind you, I'm kinda wary of the upcoming JH film, that Megan Fox will dominate the the movie simply because she plays a whore and wears a corset.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with that in itself (!) but Jonah Hex is much more than that.

Daveycandlish

Jonah Hex is the only DC comic I buy on a regular basis. If you are looking for a starting point, try the collected editions Face Full of Violence or Luck Runs Out. And then buy the rest! You won't be disappointed
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Goatilocks on 06 December, 2009, 03:22:29 PM
I've read the DC Showcase Jonah Hex and love it (as well as The Unknown Soldier). Gritty revenge western that doesn't pull any punches.

Mind you, I'm kinda wary of the upcoming JH film, that Megan Fox will dominate the the movie simply because she plays a whore and wears a corset.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with that in itself (!) but Jonah Hex is much more than that.

Couldn't agree more about Megan Fox's breasts getting in the way but we'll wait and see. Mind this polt summary from imdb doesn't instill me with confidence either.

"In the Wild West, a scarred bounty hunter tracks a voodoo practitioner bent on liberating the South by raising an army of the undead."

I've not read the Vertigo version of Jonah Hex but didn't that involve such shenanigans?

Anyway I'll wait and see. Also couldn't agree more that the Unknown Soldier Showcase is very good. Its a real shame that neither has got a second volume yet.

TordelBack

Shit.  Saw this thread and thought DXB was posting again.  Come back to us you sarky bastard!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 December, 2009, 09:38:51 PM
Shit.  Saw this thread and thought DXB was posting again.  Come back to us you sarky bastard!

I believe he's still knocking about on Facebook ... I haven't tried to Friend him because I don't think I could take the rejection!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

MIKE COLLINS

Issue 50 is a modern masterpiece. Hands down one of the best written and drawn comics I've read in years. Loves me a good western...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: MIKE COLLINS on 10 December, 2009, 12:24:39 AM
Issue 50 is a modern masterpiece. Hands down one of the best written and drawn comics I've read in years. Loves me a good western...

Well start dropping hints to Messers Gray and Palmiotti then. The stuff you did on Dredd recently shows you're perfect for a go on the title.

Mike Gloady

That's a good idea, Colin.

It's clear you've got the western bug from the recent work on Tour of Duty, but if you're reading and enjoying a title and it deals with things you like to draw then it can't hurt.  Give it a go, they can only say no.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever