Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rately

Quote from: Professor Bear on 24 January, 2020, 03:23:33 PM
Harriet Tubman was an escaped slave who led a Union platoon against the confederacy in the American civil war, in which she also served as a spy for the Union and in one action which she personally commanded, rescued 750 slaves from Confederate forces and incurred not a single Union fatality.  Postwar, she dedicated her life to feminist causes, and after receiving brain surgery without anesthetic - reasoning that biting down on a bullet was good enough for her troops in the war when they underwent surgery - she lived a long and happy life until the age of 91, whereupon she was noted to have said on her deathbed "I'm going ahead, to prepare a place for you", likely a reference to her time before the war, when she ferried slaves to freedom on the Underground Railroad.
None of this is in Harriet, her biopic, which is a two hour movie about her relationship with a white guy, the only thing that was interesting about Harriet Tubman's life, apparently.

I did not like it.

Sweet Jesus.

The only bigger kick in the balks would be Laurence Fox playing the white guy!

TordelBack

Lawks!  My daughter is a fan of Harriet Tubman, and after the Oscar nominations made us aware of its existence I was setting up for a watch. Maybe not, eh?

Tiplodocus

MAGIC MIKE which is pretty good if you ignore the beatification of the lead character. It shifts tone pretty effortlessly in the middle and has some cracking performances throughout.

And lots of handsome, ripped men in thongs dry-humping the stage.  If you like that sort of thing. Which I didn't know I did. But you lot had probably guessed.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

repoman

I, Madman (1989).  Watched this about 30 years ago and then yesterday.  Over here it was known as Hardcover and it's a horror film about a guy who cuts bits off of peoples' faces. 

Pros:

Stars the girl who was the lead in Near Dark and she does alright in it.
Feels like a comedy film noir (but in colour and with no jokes, hard to explain) so it's quite charming.
Is under 90 mins.

Cons:

Isn't very scary.
Resorts to stop motion at times.

Overall I liked it a lot.

MacabreMagpie

Saw 'The Grudge' last night, hoping it might not be as bad as you'd expect given Sam Raimi's involvement but apparently he had less of a hand than I had thought.

It is pretty terrible. Too much of a focus on gore, jump scares and sound scares and not enough time spent building up tension towards a final climactic scene that I could not believe was as flat as it was. Several around me were also confused as to whether the film had actually ended or not when the credits began to roll.

---

On a side note, I wound up seeing 'JoJo Rabbit' three times at the cinema and it's still on my mind. Can't wait for the DVD release.

The Legendary Shark

Finally got around to seeing What We Do in the Shadows and it was pretty flipping good. Definitely one for the core collection.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

We're WEREWOLVES not SWEARWOLVES!

The Legendary Shark

"No smoke alarms..."

Great stuff from start to finish!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 January, 2020, 12:20:46 PM

Finally got around to seeing What We Do in the Shadows and it was pretty flipping good. Definitely one for the core collection.
The TV series was pretty good too.

Apestrife

Watched Battles without honour and humanity. It's the first part out of five about the rise of the japanese mob following Japan's defeat in WW2. It's a very loud and brutal film. Everyone are betraying each other guns blazing, and no one can shoot straight. No one in the movie dies from a single bullet, they all get to roll around screaming in agony before finally dying. The only somewhat honourable gangster in the movie is the main character Hirono. I almost felt sorry for him for all the things he has to put up with trying to remain true to the yakuza code. Easy to recommend. Makes a lot of american crime films look like straight up commercials for the mob.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/8GULC_-0654

Tiplodocus

As mentioned up thread, you'll have seen a lot about the way it was filmed in the publicity material. But that technical gimmickry doesn't stop this being very affecting. It doesn't take long for you to stop looking for "the joins".

Like Dunkirk, it is essentially "Tension: the movie" and like Dunkirk, it uses narrative time (or the two main characters perception of it) to tell the simple tale in a different way.

Quite a few big names pop up in small parts but the George Mackay and Dean Charles-Chapman are fantastic whether reacting to grim and gritty trench warfare or trippy trance like hellscapes. It reminded me of Apocolypse Now in that respect.

Very good stuff.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

I saw 1917 yesterday and had the opposite reaction I think! I wanted to love it but it just didn't grab my emotions for the most part, even though I knew exactly what I should have been feeling and when. It's so well made that I can't really fault it or put my finger on why exactly I was a bit numb to it, other than a vague sense that I was finding the technical aspect distracting.

I love a showy one-shot usually but I think it maybe works best when it creeps up on you (Mr Robot once did a 1hr shot and it wasn't until half an hour in I realized it hadn't visibly cut, likewise with a lot of oners in movies) and maybe going into this knowing that's what it was made the difference. I can see why on paper it would really add to the immersion but for some reason I found it pulled me right out because the film-making aspect was so in your face that I never had that moment where I forgot I was watching a film and let myself be carried along by it. Plus once I spotted a couple of the tricks they were using to mask cuts I couldn't help looking for them!

The one exception was the night sequence, the whole film looks and sounds incredible but that whole scene was pretty astonishing, eerily dreamlike and beautiful and terrifying at the same time. Loved that. I think on a second watch where I can hopefully detach myself from the technical side the film might feel less clinical and I might get the tension that I'd been wanting from it.

As a contrast to that movie, I also watched Booksmart and thought it was great. I've seen people call it 'Superbad with girls' and I can definitely see that but I thought it was really well done, loved the characters and laughed a whole lot.

von Boom

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 27 January, 2020, 09:25:49 AM
As a contrast to that movie, I also watched Booksmart and thought it was great. I've seen people call it 'Superbad with girls'
I've heard it call the same but maybe not for the same reasons.

I watched a film I'd not seen in ages. Starter for 10. I had forgotten how much I liked this film with such a great cast, James McAvoy, Dominic Cooper, Allice Eve, Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Gatiss, James Corden, Catherine Tate.

It's one of those films that should have a better reputation but doesn't seem to. Maybe it just hit my nostalgia buttons but I must give it another viewing soon.

CalHab

Quote from: Mardroid on 26 January, 2020, 06:23:34 PM

Matt Berry was an inspired bit of casting.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: CalHab on 28 January, 2020, 08:48:05 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 26 January, 2020, 06:23:34 PM

Matt Berry was an inspired bit of casting.

Mind you should just shorten that to

Matt Berry is inspired.