Main Menu

was Philip K. Dick a loony ?

Started by judge dreddd, 28 June, 2003, 04:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wils

a fair few people have commented that they reckon 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' was drug-induced.

Not heard that before, but I do know that Lewis Caroll was at the very least bordering on Nonceville.

Pyroxian

'We can remember it for you wholesale' is a very good Short Story, and carries on beyond the end of the Total Recall film...

Does anyone know what the title of 'The Crack in Space' is referring to? The interdimensional portal they discovered, or the orbital brothel?

Steve

Quirkafleeg

judge dreddd

Lewis Caroll

wanna see my puppies alice ?

lewis was mr maths prof at oxford ya know...

ESCUBRIA

Confessions of a Crap Artist was one of the first novels he'd ever written and long before he ever used speed to write faster, its also not sci-fi but more mainstream fiction. He wanted to be known as a serious straight fiction novelist as well as someone who wrote sci-fi.

I dont think he was that much of a loony though, he always questioned wether what he experienced in the 70's was genuine or, indeed, induced by other means; sounds pretty healthy to me. People always exaggerate the experiences of artists (especially concerning drugs) and celebs as if they have great import when we are all capable of similar experiences.
Usually people who have creative visions on drugs are creative to begin with, you only have to read Dick's early novels to see he did not lack a unique imagination. He wrote about drugs in his later novels because he happened to be taking them at the time (mostly speed, which is not a hallucinogenic) and had some understanding of the phenomenon.

Drugs were not his reason to write in the first place.

JimBob

Lewis Carroll was apparently boning Alice Liddells Mother and used his back-then-innocent-but-now-seen-as-weird photographing and tutoring of alice as a pretext to see momma.
 Sort of a reverse Lolita.

Jim

ESCUBRIA