Main Menu

2000AD Southern Contingent Gathering at The Fox: Excel (LSCC) Sat 14th Mar 2015

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 05 January, 2015, 11:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

This was my first comic convention.

Unfortunately I got there rather late, so all the events were over. So in the end it was... well... a big shop with lots of people walking around in costumes.

That being said, seeing the costumes was interesting.* It was a nice experience wandering around. And I bought a few things, namely Rogue Trooper Volume 1 and a little 2000Ad badge** from the 2000AD stand, V for Vendetta (with the possible exception of The Balad of Halo Jones, and possibly his Swamp Thing stuff, my favourite Alan Moore story... took me this long to actually buy it though...) and a Pop! Darth Vader Bobble head.

I can't exactly say I got my money's-worth (amusingly the doorman hardly even looked at my ticket so I could have probaby got in for free.... not that I'd do that...) but that's my fault for being a lasy begger on Saturday. Still as pleasant experience and it was nice to down a few pints and hand with the rest of the Southern contingent and other loud but friendly folk.

So note to self-
1. Check the programme.
2. Go earlier. At least early afternoon rather than an hour before the whole thing closes (in my defence there was no end time on the site.)
3. Take more money.

Edit- Oh yeah and a guy came up to me, pointed at my Hatchette Parkworks Dredd Badge and said "It would be Dredd-ful if I didn't give you this voucher for 25% discount at our online store..." which was nice. Although with that awful pun I think maybe he should have given me more.

* One of the coolest possibly Iron Man. One of the strangest, (seen outside the pub later) a girl with a red Darth Vader mask and red boots. Much as I like the humor in such a suit... her multi-coloured toy/model AT-AT was a bit much.
**Which turned out to work as an effecteive replacement button on my coat! Saves me all that business of sowing.

Fungus

Nice one Mardroid, as first con  :)

As for lessons learned. Yup, bring extra cash, turn up early, drink too much, catch as many events/panels as possible.

Mardroid

Quote from: Fungus on 16 March, 2015, 01:18:11 AM
As for lessons learned. Yup, bring extra cash, turn up early, drink too much, catch as many events/panels as possible.

Thanks. I did manage the third one...

Steve Green

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 March, 2015, 01:06:17 PM
Did I say I'd be there early afternoon? Probably mid/late at this stage! Sure I'll have a few hours anyway and if the judges are turning up in the evening* less time to wait. Not that I'm going just to see them...

* Assuming Steve wasn't making a drink related nudity gag. Sorry. Mind. In gutter.

I was.

COMMANDO FORCES

What a weekend, still going through all the pictures and taking in all the tales. Saturday night flew by and I think I may have ended up slightly merry. When I get 'round to it I'll post up some words and pics. But here are a few pics to keep you going for now, mostly from the con itself, as I forgot to take any in the pub ::) :-[

Judge Simon Davis

Johnny meets Bolland

IAMTHESYSTEM

I had no idea Brian Bolland was left handed. No wonder his art is so distinctive ans so difficult to copy!

Is Johnny Vegas some sort of secret comic book fan or there for another reason?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Richmond Clements

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 16 March, 2015, 08:07:12 PM
I had no idea Brian Bolland was left handed. No wonder his art is so distinctive.

Is Johnny Vegas some sort of secret comic book fan or there for another reason?

Not secret at all - he's a full on geek.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Mardroid

Quote from: Steve Green on 16 March, 2015, 05:00:23 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 14 March, 2015, 01:06:17 PM
Did I say I'd be there early afternoon? Probably mid/late at this stage! Sure I'll have a few hours anyway and if the judges are turning up in the evening* less time to wait. Not that I'm going just to see them...

* Assuming Steve wasn't making a drink related nudity gag. Sorry. Mind. In gutter.

I was.

kinda relieved it wasn't just my dirty mind...

Proudhuff

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 16 March, 2015, 05:12:35 PM
When I get 'round to it I'll post up some words and pics. But here are a few pics to keep you going for now, mostly from the con itself, as I forgot to take any in the pub ::) :-[

ahem....
DDT did a job on me