Main Menu

Prog 2113 - Community Spirit

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 January, 2019, 04:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 07 January, 2019, 11:04:14 AM
(...and assuming that it is still a pseudonym, I also realised last night that "ken niemand" is Dutch too - "ik ken niemand"="I know no-one")

Niemand is also a surname in Afrikaans and I would translate Kenneth to "Ken Niks" which will mean "Knowns Nothing" and Niemand to "Nobody" or "No One" but the translation above sounds more right for a pseudonym
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

metcalfecarr

Hasnt it been previously stated that Niemand is Keith Richardson?
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

Leigh S

Whoever it is, it's a fond call back to the days of John Howard and Keef Ripley - long may it remain a mystery (so long as we get a more!)

I, Cosh

Quote from: metcalfecarr on 08 January, 2019, 06:04:07 PM

It's been stated, but then Keith said it wasn't.

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 09 December, 2017, 10:35:43 PM
Quote from: Pete Wells on 09 December, 2017, 09:27:15 PM
I may be wrong, but with the nostalgic vibe I kinda assumed that Kenneth Neimand is Keith Richardson. I really enjoyed the Starlord story, the radicalisation angle made me chuckle.
Whoa there tiger - I'm innocent. Wish I did write it though as imo it was cracking!

Matt did edit out a Tornado moment in which the skin head Weetabix crew batter Big E to death with socks stuffed with snooker balls. The Green Cross code Man and Wolfie Smith just watched....and laughed.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Quote from: I, Cosh on 09 January, 2019, 12:21:04 AM
Quote from: metcalfecarr on 08 January, 2019, 06:04:07 PM

It's been stated, but then Keith stated that it wasn't him.

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 09 December, 2017, 10:35:43 PM
Quote from: Pete Wells on 09 December, 2017, 09:27:15 PM
I may be wrong, but with the nostalgic vibe I kinda assumed that Kenneth Neimand is Keith Richardson. I really enjoyed the Starlord story, the radicalisation angle made me chuckle.
Whoa there tiger - I'm innocent. Wish I did write it though as imo it was cracking!

Matt did edit out a Tornado moment in which the skin head Weetabix crew batter Big E to death with socks stuffed with snooker balls. The Green Cross code Man and Wolfie Smith just watched....and laughed.
We never really die.

broodblik

A week makes a big difference in a prog this time around the prog is much better than last weeks.

The only let  down is the 3riller (or in this case filler) which is quite unoriginal (done that got the t-shirt type of story).

Can not wait for Thistlebone it looks really good.

Highlight this time around is Brink which looks like the endgame from here on wards.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

I quite enjoyed the 3riller this week. Maybe I've been out of the zombie game for too long and it's old hat to a lot of readers but it felt like a new take on that monster and I do like a bit of red.

It's slightly sad that the mystery of Kenneth Niemand is holding our collective attention more than the mystery of any given strip!

norton canes

Dredd: Actually thought the 'Block Bud' concept was really good, and I like the striking images of giant holograms sitting on top of Citiblocks. Not sure how they manage to physically fight each other, though..? Also the art was a bit lacking, sorry.

Brink: After a few installments stuck in [forget the name of the guy with the beard]'s office, we cut to the meaty part (metaphorically and, worryingly, possibly literally). I thought the huge bulkhead door was down in the habitat depths? Did I miss that they took a short cut? Super looking forward to next week.

Skip Tracer: This strip continues to do the basics right - a good setting, a lead character with plenty of potential depth, and lots of nice world-building going on, complimented wonderfully by Marshall and Teague's artwork. BUT it's still not firing. I honestly don't think it's a great distance off being a classic, it just needs to make one more push. Here's hoping!

(one thing that might be prejudicing me against it is that I really don't like the word 'Consociation'. It's completely triggering me for some reason I can't pinpoint. It's like the strip's 'melancholema' or 'phale chronozon' but it's actually making me feel a bit ill.)

Scorched Zone: This on the other hand is just a forgettable collection of old tropes.

Fiends: Good scripting, great art, perfectly enjoyable; though to be honest, I preferred the folk-horror-ish weirdness of the previous chapter.

Thistlebone: 10/10!

broodblik

Interesting take on Skip Tracer is how Marshall's characterization looks different from MacNeils. I think one of the reasons why people do not like the main character is that he is always angry. Marshall draws him that he is angry, MacNeil did not (hence the reason that the previous installment was more excepted). Just my two cents.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 10 January, 2019, 01:54:50 PM
Interesting take on Skip Tracer is how Marshall's characterization looks different from MacNeils. I think one of the reasons why people do not like the main character is that he is always angry. Marshall draws him that he is angry, MacNeil did not (hence the reason that the previous installment was more excepted). Just my two cents.

You know what you might just have nailed it! MacNeil or the script he had enable us you smpathise with Nathan.

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 10 January, 2019, 09:33:57 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 10 January, 2019, 01:54:50 PM

You know what you might just have nailed it! MacNeil or the script he had enable us you smpathise with Nathan.

You might be able to sympathise with him, but it doesn't help with remembering his name. :lol:

Trout

I really enjoyed this prog. Brink was my top thrill and that's a good fun Dredd. Skip Tracer isn't grabbing me but I did enjoy the 3thriller and Fiends. I think many of you were a little unkind to a perfectly solid January prog. Cheer up, chaps!

And Ken Niemand is Scojo.  ;)