Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 October, 2020, 10:44:50 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 02 October, 2020, 09:18:07 PM
We've all got titles based on number of posts - Jayzus is a Bionic Fingers - but you can add a Personal Text field too. Jayzus is responsible for making his own meat squeal.

I'll be honest though, I never realised what 'never nude' was in reference to.

ha, yes I see now  :-[ - I just glanced at that and thought someone had re-jigged the names. I must give some thought to my own personal text field, i'd not really noticed that function till now
I need one for wheezing bifocal wearing ginger gits like myself, but I can never come up with something appropriate.

Greg M.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I've been painting a mural of the Seven Dwarfs and have a question for the, er, Hivemind, as all the cool kids round here say. Now I know this is a generalisation, and probably both sizeist and racist, but...

Why do dwarves (or dwarfs), gnomes, goblins, elves etc wear those long, floppy, tapered hats? Not the Tolkien folk, but the ones in pretty much every other depiction.  Where did this trope even come from? Even our Ukko wears one, and in fact looks odd without it.

It's a genuine question, by the way, and Google isn't coming up with the goods. My guess is that it was some kind of hat worn by medieval peasants or other labourers, and that the depictions of the little folk derive from this time when even full-sized people wore them.  In fact I may well have spotted some tradesman types in Breughel the Younger paintings wearing them, but again Google is coming up short.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

I got the amusingly named phrygian cap right here.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 14 October, 2020, 08:15:57 PM

Bloody hell, you do and all. Thanks, Funt, I'll have a proper read of that when I go to bed.  I never knew liberty caps were anything other than those mushrooms that used to make me see weird shit.

Funt Solo

Omigod - there was that one time we had to pick them really fast off the football field because the guy who mowed it in his tractor had started at the other side, then we made revolting mushroom and mince sandwiches and I lost the ability to count or discern colors and therefore couldn't play gin rummy.  :o
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 14 October, 2020, 08:47:45 PM
Omigod - there was that one time we had to pick them really fast off the football field because the guy who mowed it in his tractor had started at the other side, then we made revolting mushroom and mince sandwiches and I lost the ability to count or discern colors and therefore couldn't play gin rummy.  :o

:lol:

And there it is, folks.  Do you want to take hallucinogens or do you want to play gin rummy?  It can't be both.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 14 October, 2020, 08:15:57 PM

I'm going to sound incredibly ungrateful here for your giving me an interesting and informative link that has expanded my vocabulary, but... It still doesn't really explain why the caps are so popular amongst the mythological shortarse community. Anyone?

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Maybe the floppy bits contain bladders which can be inflated in order to meet the height requirements of the rides at Ye Altone Towerf.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Height requirements are part of a statist agenda etc.  ;)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Staturist agenda, if you please.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

:lol:

Thanks for the link, by the way, Funt. For some reason it's really important to me right now to get to the bottom of this.

The pandemic.  That's the reason, isn't it?