Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Mute, on Netflix.

Eric from True Blood plays an Amish mute in a Blade-Runner lite Berlin, hunting for his vanished girlfriend..

It's by Duncan Jones and is much better than I made it sound, with some lovely Moon Easter Eggs thrown in.
Lock up your spoons!

Goaty

So I watch Speed 2 on Netflix as last time I saw it about 20 years ago.

Seriously? It still shit as last time I see it, who ever thought that fucking plot? What a poor film!
As I love the first film Speed, I got totally respect for Keaue Reeves who can't do this film as he was out on his band tour!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Goaty on 28 February, 2018, 04:41:01 PM
... I got totally respect for Keaue Reeves who can't do this film as he was out on his band tour!

Unlike the Glastonbury crowd that saw him on that tour (I think it was that tour) - he was belted with mud - it was hilarious!

radiator

QuoteSo I watch Speed 2 on Netflix

Goaty - you're aware that you only have a limited amount of time on Earth, right?

Tjm86

Quote from: radiator on 28 February, 2018, 05:47:54 PM
QuoteSo I watch Speed 2 on Netflix

Goaty - you're aware that you only have a limited amount of time on Earth, right?
Maybe he watched it on fast forward?

dweezil2

Quote from: Goaty on 28 February, 2018, 04:41:01 PM
So I watch Speed 2 on Netflix as last time I saw it about 20 years ago.

Seriously? It still shit as last time I see it, who ever thought that fucking plot? What a poor film!
As I love the first film Speed, I got totally respect for Keaue Reeves who can't do this film as he was out on his band tour!

Don't think I ever made it past the first half hour.
Utter (Sandra) Bullocks!!!!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Goaty

Hehe. Simple just I choose random film a week on Netflix.

Cross Wars - that was totally crappest I ever saw!

TordelBack

Jupiter Ascending. Another perfectly entertaining and rather gorgeous SF flick that seemed to get a critical and box-office drubbing it didn't deserve.  As the lead Mila Kunis is maybe a bit dour and passive right up until the very end,  but Channing Tatum makes a perfectly acceptable strong-silent action hero, and the rest of the cast is pretty great: Eddie Redmayne's baddie is particularly memorable, and Nikki Amuda-Bird's starship captain and her crew seem like they could carry a TV series of their own.

The Wachowskis bring their particular brand of involved crazy to an interesting mix of Masters of the Universe, Dune and Flash Gordon (or at least their movie incarnations)
that would fit nicely into the Prog, and damned if I wouldn't have enjoyed more of this.

Tiplodocus

See, I didn't like Redmayne's baddie and Channing Tatum is just overpowered, I thought. I can't even remember anybof the action set pieces. It did look pretty though.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Tatum's Mr. Wise is crazily over-powered, and the most glaring logic problem with the film is why a cashiered soldier is the only person in the galaxy with gravity boots and a personal shield, but once I decided that the protagonists were the SF'd-up equivalent of Greek gods (Tatum as Perseus, or even Hermes) I enjoyed it quite a lot.  The set pieces are repetitive (a Wachowksi flaw), but there are some good ones: the initial aerial battle over Chicago, the escape from Redmayne's imploding base as it falls through Jupiter's atmosphere, the clinic shoot-out with the most deliciously creepy Greys. 

Mainly I enjoyed the plethora of well-done aliens/cyborgs, the massively OTT set designs (some real beauties), the really excellent Kafka/bureaucracy sequence, and the fresh execution of the old-chestnut farming-humans plot. I thought Redmayne did a remarkable job of quietly mumbling all his dialogue but keeping it all crystal clear, conveying simmering danger all the while.

There are obvious structural/editing problems: Her-off-Sense8 doesn't appear again after her early attempt to seduce Jupiter (gratuitous lingering bum shots not unwlecome, mind), there's an awful lot of falling-jeopardy sequences for a universe where main characters have wings and/or gravity boots, and the repetition of Wise-saves-Jupiter-from-signing-a-contract scenes is odd.  There's also way too many scenes of people standing still while explaining things to each other.

But overall, yeah, file it alongside John Carter and Tomorrowland as movies that, while flawed, I felt should have been given more of a fair shake.

Professor Bear

If nothing else, its similarities - flaws included - to another space opera franchise's soft-reboot that people were going doolally over prompts some questions.

darnmarr

Spy 2015
Cast : Melissa Mcarthy, Jude law, Alison Janney, Jason Stratham, Miranda Hart, Peter Serafinowicz...
score 7 IMDB     94% critics score on Rotten Toms.
I liked the beginning, - thought it was a good premise, just the sort of light nonsense that I was in the humour for...  but as soon the story started it just seemed to become incrementally less funny on a gag- by- gag basis until about 20 mins into it- I had to turn it off in bewildering frustration.

A comedy so shite that it put me in a bad mood.

von Boom

Quote from: darnmarr on 02 March, 2018, 11:10:32 AM
Spy 2015
Cast : Melissa Mcarthy, Jude law, Alison Janney, Jason Stratham, Miranda Hart, Peter Serafinowicz...
score 7 IMDB     94% critics score on Rotten Toms.
I liked the beginning, - thought it was a good premise, just the sort of light nonsense that I was in the humour for...  but as soon the story started it just seemed to become incrementally less funny on a gag- by- gag basis until about 20 mins into it- I had to turn it off in bewildering frustration.

A comedy so shite that it put me in a bad mood.

I have very similar feelings. My wife wanted to see this, but to me, McCarthy is just plain un-funny. They should have given Miranda Hart the lead.

Professor Bear

If it makes you feel any better, there's a mid-credits scene where it's implied that Jason Statham's character raped the film's lead, and the final line is "stop screaming - you loved it."

Spy was the first film I saw that involved any of the prominent players - McCarthy, Feig, etc - and I thought it was okay, just not terribly encumbered by belly laughs.  There was a nagging feeling I'd missed something all through it, tho - like it was a new comedy genre or something that I'd missed the boat to get on board with and now I didn't know where it was at, Daddio.

dweezil2

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 March, 2018, 12:38:35 AM
See, I didn't like Redmayne's baddie and Channing Tatum is just overpowered, I thought. I can't even remember anybof the action set pieces. It did look pretty though.

I found Redmayne's constant mincing tiresome and it was far too generic to keep my interest- with the 'spot the homage' being the only engaging aspect to it.

Needed more Blessed!

Also Mila Kunis must be a contender for most insipid and dull heroine in film history.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo