Main Menu

Block Mania is back!

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 November, 2020, 08:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

The board game that is - apparently a limited edition release going on sale 12 noon Friday

https://2000ad.com/news/go-crazy-the-block-mania-boardgame-is-back/?ct=t%28EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_19_11_25%29&mc_cid=896891e418&mc_eid=f39a479f53&fbclid=IwAR2-ogw6bztE5qh37ZnhHXfb-zS-0FqR_WVullWm_AuxKK_KHRKVTjDYi5I

Includes Mega Mania too.

If you would all be so kind as to wait until I've got mine before getting your that would be appreciated...

Funt Solo

Holy shinolee! $$$ will be dropped by this Squaxx.

When I was a little urchin, I couldn't afford these, and I've never wanted a mouldy olde ebay effort, so this is like dangling a cream-filled caramel donut in front of my face half an hour after spliff't-off.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

DrJomster

Interesting! I wonder how much it will go for.... however much it is, it looks veeeery tempting!

Hopefully we'll get the original Judge Dredd boardgame next. That would be pretty good too*.

* where "pretty good" roughly equates to "instant buy"
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

shaolin_monkey

I am booking the day off work and setting up a tent and large empty plastic bottle next to my PC so I'm first in the queue when the doors open at midday!!

wedgeski

Barrington Boots

Still got the original...

Box selloptaped together and everything. It's great. Takes HOURS to play. So cool though.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Quote from: DrJomster on 25 November, 2020, 09:33:00 PM
Interesting! I wonder how much it will go for.... however much it is, it looks veeeery tempting!

Hopefully we'll get the original Judge Dredd boardgame next. That would be pretty good too*.

* where "pretty good" roughly equates to "instant buy"

The will is there (I'm sure there was a brief twitter conversation between Ian Livingstone and Jason Kingsley a year or two back, but I can't find it right now).

credo

That's some lovely class art right there!

Brett Ewins? He did some lovely stuff for the old Games Workshop Chainsaw Warrior game.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: credo on 26 November, 2020, 10:09:20 AM
Brett Ewins? He did some lovely stuff for the old Games Workshop Chainsaw Warrior game.

He did and while I assume rights for that game reside with Games Workshop if Rebellion Unplugged are looking for areas to expand into with reintroducing retro gaming this is one they should defo think about.

All being well I'm kinda assuming we might get a Rogue Trooper boardgame re-issue as well if this one proves worth it.

credo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 November, 2020, 10:13:02 AM

All being well I'm kinda assuming we might get a Rogue Trooper boardgame re-issue as well if this one proves worth it.

The Rogue game was wonderful. Beautiful board.

norton canes

Interesting, I'd have thought the original 1982 GW Dredd game (with the awesome Ian Gibson board) would have been first up for a reissue. Perhaps there are rights issues.

Block Mania does also look great but as alluded to above it is a bit fiddly and long-winded to play - it ends up with lots of cardboard counters on the boards and the block collapse mechanic can take ages. A word of advice for anyone who buys it (or who's still playing the original) - modify the rule about rolling two dice to determine action points to something like rolling three dice and picking the best two, or disregarding ones and sixes, because otherwise the results are so random it's impossible to stick with a strategy.

Very tempted by this, anyway.

Barrington Boots

I'd imagine it's IP related. GW have always been extremely protective of their copyrights but they've opened up a little to working with third parties the last year or two... this seems like a 'low risk' experiment in a collaborative rerelease in that it has the Dredd connection but isn't as potentially valuable as something like Rogue Trooper or the Dredd game itself which are bigger fish IP-wise.
Alternatively it may be a tester to just selling the rights to Rebellion, which would be pretty awesome.

Quote from: norton canes on 26 November, 2020, 10:35:35 AM
modify the rule about rolling two dice to determine action points to something like rolling three dice and picking the best two

This is such a good idea.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sixmo

Holy Sneck! Where did this drop out of? This seems to have arrived unheralded.

I can't find any details of cost. There is a fellow who put a second hand copy up on boardgamegeek only last week looking for €140! I think the reprint should be less than half that cost, I'd guess (£30-40/€40-50) which is probably the going rate. I got the Dredd Helter Skelter game there recently for about €50 I think, and it had a bunch of nice minis with it (Helter Skelter is excellent, by the way.). Block Mania is a bit more old school with card components.

I was fortunate enough to get Rogue Trooper and the Dredd RPG back in the day and had lots of fun playing them. Chainsaw Warrior was so Brett Ewins-ey flavoured that it felt like a 2000ad game too. A friend of mine was a huge fan of Block Mania and was very enthusiastic about the sheer chaos involved in trying to get any kind of strategy going. You just had to embrace the madness and revel in the destruction all round.

I am intrigued to see if any extra rules will be included in these editions. The kind of thing that might have been described in White Dwarf maybe.

I have a feeling I will be rushing to buy these in any event!

Colin YNWA

Yeah looking at the prices on the website linked to from the article I'm nervously optimisitc that the going rate is £30 - £50 for each set - so Block Mania £30-£50, Mega Mania £30-£50. These are utter guess work of course.

Just not sure how this being a 'limited edition' affects these things?

sixmo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 November, 2020, 02:28:46 PM
Just not sure how this being a 'limited edition' affects these things?

Well it may just be a fancy way of saying that they'll print a small amount to test the waters.

It does all seem a bit out of the blue. A nice surprise I guess!