Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Clearly NASA's budget is directly responsible for global hunger.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Ancient Otter

Frank

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Earth, Jupiter and Venus from the skyline of Mars.
You may quote me on that.

Molch-R

JOE SOAP

Molch-R

Nah, the chances are a million to one ......

JOE SOAP

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: bikini kill on 10 August, 2012, 11:21:06 PM
Dark matter's made up of phlogiston and luminiferous aether.

Away with your flummery! It's quite obviously Kosmikglaz per the Welteislehre.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

M.I.K.

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 12 August, 2012, 01:01:15 AM
Quote from: bikini kill on 10 August, 2012, 11:21:06 PM
Dark matter's made up of phlogiston and luminiferous aether.

Away with your flummery! It's quite obviously Kosmikglaz per the Welteislehre.

My theory...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 10 August, 2012, 10:48:31 PM
Dark Matter could be right beside us in the Solar System:

TBH, I find this to be one of the ways in which science is not drokking fantastic. From the article:

"Dark matter is thought to make up about 70% of the universe, yet it cannot be seen or detected directly. Scientists only know it exists because of the way its gravity affects other material."

Transl: Turns out, gravity doesn't behave in the way our theoretical models predict it should. As a result, we've posited this mysterious stuff that can't be detected in any way other than the manner in which it corrects gravity's behaviour to precisely that which our model requires.

The other day, I told my bank manager that he was mistaken about my overdraft and that, actually, 70% of my bank account was made up of dark money. Strangely enough, he seemed unconvinced.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Zarjazzer

As an old student of biology I was often subjected (along with anyone studying archaeology)of the physics profession bragging that these aren't " real" sciences.  Now the physics  orthodoxy is to believe in something that we can't test but must be there because otherwise our sums don't add up. The fact that it might be correct doesn't stop me from poking fun at them. :)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Frank

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 12 August, 2012, 11:03:33 AM
As an old student of biology I was often subjected (along with anyone studying archaeology)of the physics profession bragging that these aren't " real" sciences.  Now the physics  orthodoxy is to believe in something that we can't test but must be there because otherwise our sums don't add up. The fact that it might be correct doesn't stop me from poking fun at them. :)

Wall Street and the square mile of London account for 25% of all recruitment from Harvard and Oxbridge's physics and maths departments. Sexless theory fetishists doing impossible things with numbers is fine when the most malignant forces they conjure are black holes and dark matter. When they're applying their understanding of game theory and the copula function to create collateralized debt obligations and credit default swaps, it's a different kind of matter entirely- and one with much greater gravity.

"as far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." Albert Einstein

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Physics has put men on the Moon, robots on Mars, photographed galaxies far, far away, created the coldest place in the known universe and the most powerful machine in the known universe.

The point is, WHERE'S MY FUCKING DINOSAUR ZOO MR. BIOLOGIST?
You may quote me on that.

Zarjazzer

Quote from: pops1983 on 12 August, 2012, 02:39:23 PM

Physics has put men on the Moon, robots on Mars, photographed galaxies far, far away, created the coldest place in the known universe and the most powerful machine in the known universe.

The point is, WHERE'S MY FUCKING DINOSAUR ZOO MR. BIOLOGIST?

Well just  activate the right genes and switch off others in a chicken and in theory you'll have a t-rex. Get to it.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.