Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

If it's any consolation, Jim, I know of at least one writer working for the big two who also couldn't sell that exact same premise to Image a few years ago.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Composite image of The ISS transistioning the sun:

Looks to me like a squad of TIE fighters flying in formation, possibly as the vanguard of an Imperial Star Destroyer...
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Cassini Finds Global Ocean in Saturn's Moon Enceladus.
"A global ocean lies beneath the icy crust of
Saturn's geologically active moon Enceladus, according to new research using data from NASA's Cassini mission."

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

I knew it! Now need to building a Flamethrower and find a horse!

Professor Bear

Dandontdare

aaaah, I was hoping it was going to be confirmation of life, but small steps... still exciting!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 September, 2015, 05:06:59 PM
aaaah, I was hoping it was going to be confirmation of life, but small steps... still exciting!

NASA confirms life on Mars, Daily Mail runs a scare story about Martian 'migrants' threatening to overwhelm our culture...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

Spikes

Hawkmumbler

Insane. Yet beautiful at the same time.

But brace yourselves, here come the conspiracy wackos.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I just Net surfed to see if anyone thought the actual moon itself is a fake. They do. It's all a hologram or the illumaniti who have nothing better to do than put fake moons up in the sky. You cannot save the human race from it own stupidity.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JayzusB.Christ

And now I've done the same, and here's the irrefutable evidence.http://blackbag.gawker.com/is-the-moon-real-1691362378

Ali G put the question to Buzz Aldrin, who refuted it. But he would, wouldn't he?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 October, 2015, 10:13:20 AM
And now I've done the same, and here's the irrefutable evidence.http://blackbag.gawker.com/is-the-moon-real-1691362378
Two paragraphs in and I think I might have lost several brain cells.

People will believe any old bollocks to try and sound smart.

The Legendary Shark

...nuclear power. I used to think there were only three options when it comes to nuclear power - fission, fusion and magic. Magic would include your fringe ideas like cold fusion and zero-point energy. Fusion would seem to be the best idea, creating tiny stars inside magnetic shields. And then there's nuclear fission - that tiger we have by the tail at the moment. I don't deny that nuclear fission reactors are useful but they're also a huge pain in the arse and a constant worry. No, nuclear fission has to go.

Or does it?

I've just discovered something called a Molten Salt Reactor and it's kind of blown my mind a bit. In a MSR, the coolant (molten salt) also contains the nuclear fuel - so it can't melt down. Let me just repeat that - it can't melt down. That's amazing.

Hit one of these reactors with a missile or have the staff all get drunk and fall asleep on Christmas Eve and... Nothing. The reactor's not pressurised (unlike a conventional reactor, which has to run at ~160 atmospheres to stop the water turning into explosive hydrogen) and so if the molten salt leaks out or is left unattended it just cools down into a virtually inert lump.

Molten salt reactors can recycle a lot more of their own waste. Noxious beasties are drawn out of the fuel as gases, processed and then returned as fuel. There is waste but it's less toxic and about 1/3 that of a conventional reactor. These reactors do not yield weapons-grade waste products. Maybe that's why they seem to be keeping this technology off the radar...

Still, there seem to be plenty of companies at least ostensibly looking into this technology, which has been kicking around since at least the 1960s, here's the website of one of them. Let's hope those high-I.Q. boys out there can pull this together - it seems like a win/win to me. And no need for magic or bottled stars at all!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]