Main Menu

Where the dust goes to gather - comics variant

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 July, 2011, 08:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Alphabetical? Well... If that is your choice. I suppose. Yes. Hmmm.

Disappointingly simple.  ;)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Eightball on 15 April, 2014, 07:30:28 PM
As promised here is my reshuffled shelves. Looking at them this way makes me cry. :'(

But don't you see there is joy in those tears. If you don't like it, look at it and do something different. Oh the joy of re-organisation.

I have to say there is something very firm and pert about that collection of trades. Makes my full and heavy collection seem a little saggy. Lovely.

8-Ball

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 16 April, 2014, 06:14:09 AM
Quote from: Eightball on 15 April, 2014, 07:30:28 PM
As promised here is my reshuffled shelves. Looking at them this way makes me cry. :'(

But don't you see there is joy in those tears. If you don't like it, look at it and do something different. Oh the joy of re-organisation.

I have to say there is something very firm and pert about that collection of trades. Makes my full and heavy collection seem a little saggy. Lovely.

'Tis temporary and only really done for the sake of the photos. I have one more volume of the Volgan Wars to come so I will have to rearrange everything to make space. I just wanted to see what it would look like. :lol:
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Fungus

The challenge here could be to prove that they are not alphabetical by design, providing reasons, but coincidentally happen to end up also being alphabetical.....? I didn't say there was a point.

8-Ball

When I look at how I have rearranged them my first thought is not collection of 2000 AD trade paperbacks and more soulless Forbidden Planet shop display. Never mind that the Judge Dredd collections (non Case Files) were a bugger because 1)they jump about so much and 2) some are themed collections spread over many years of Prog-age and Meg-age, like the artists collections and the North American releases. In my old arrangement there was a specific reason for the placing of each trade. Now, not so much. :(
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Dandontdare

After an exhausting weekend moving books and furniture that haven't been moved for over a decade (atchoo!) and then  wrestling with the most fiendish challenges that Ikea could throw at me (twice-curséd be the House of Kallax), my Wall of Geekery is complete!

I haven't finished stacking the shelves yet, but 'before', 'during' and 'after' pics will follow shortly...

:D :D :D :D :D

SmallBlueThing

On a bit of a whim,  I decided to spend some time this weekend idly fantasising about how best to rearrange the trade collections I currently store in our lounge and dining room. Briefly pondering the purchase of new shelving, I decided to count how many I currently have down here,  and not including actual comics or trades stored upstairs.

700 and change. 

Fuck,  as my nan used to say,  me. 

400 in the dining room,  300 in the lounge. 

When is enough enough?  :-\

SBT

COMMANDO FORCES

Hawkmumbler

Is it wrong when I get all giddy over being able to look at other peoples comic caves? :lol:

Colin YNWA

Yeah very excited when we get to peek at this kinda stuff. Come DDD stop teasing and get to the good stuff.

SBT to stop would suggest that there aren't more great comics out there - THERE'S ALWAYS MORE GREAT COMICS. I say buy, buy buy!

Fungus

Yeah - definitely looking forward to Dan's ... 'Dan Cave' ?
And hit any toys behind some hardbacks, will you  :)

Dandontdare

Okay, a little history lesson to start with....

When I last decorated my bedroom (over a decade ago) I managed with a couple of flatpack bookcases on their side with my GNs along the top. The bottom section, with an Indian cloth covering, contained all my Star Trek paperbacks and the last few years of progs (the majority of my stash was still in my mum's loft). Here's a pic from 2005:

However over the last 10 years of steady employment, I've bought a shitload more books, repatriated all my old books and comics from my mum's and accrued a decade's worth of fresh thrillpower - which has led me to this sorry state:

There were books on the lower levels of those stacks that I've been unable to read for years because I couldn't be arsed moving all the piles on top.

After months of dithering, I entered Flat Pack Hell:

Rather worryingly, when I came to get rid of the unused bits'n'bobs and packaging I came across one of the major screws:
Well,fuck it I'm not moving the bastards now.

After wrestling the bastards into place on my own, the restacking could begin, and now I have this:

If you want details, well along the top are my collection of Star Trek books (plus a few other geeky paperbacks), and my DVDs, including my classic Dr Who collection, and various statues masks and souvenirs (the Enterprise took a tumble during relocation and needs a dab of superglue):

Shelves from top, L-R:
1. Vertigo

2. Various indy stuff:

3. Dredd and various 2000ad stuff:

4. Rebellion collections and annuals:

5. DC

6. Alan Moore, J. Michael Straczynski, Warren Ellis and others on the left, funny stuff (inc. Hate, Peep Show, Calvin & Hobbes etc):

7. Marvel (not sorted in order yet - still deciding how to arrange these)

8. Ultimate Marvel:

9. 2000ad/Dredd specials, poster progs, DiceMan, Futurequake/Something Wicked and all kinds of Brit-comic miscellany on the left; Meg floppies and other bits on the right:

10. Judge Dredd Megazines (with an extra shelf to expand into):

11. Bizarre mags and Viz comics.

The metal shelves now contain all my progs, loose Marvel comics and other US-format singles; as well as my collection of Zarjaz's - not finished yet, I'm going to rehang that red cloth down the front to mask the acres of newsprint and offer some protection from light and dust.

And because Man cannot live by geekery alone, I've managed to retain a tiny corner for "proper" books:

It's nice to open one's eyes in the morning and gaze at the one you love, and now the first sight that greets me is my Wall of Geekery! Now's the time for endless fine-tuning - I can't leave it alone!

I thank you for your indulgence, hope I haven't bored you with all these pics!

maryanddavid

Looks great Dan! Lot of work gone into that.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

That is just fantastic stuff. So how long did all that take you?

Keep us informed of all the tweeking and re-rordering. Its all well and good showing us the good stuff but it the detail of what goes next to which were the real fun starts!