Main Menu

Cool thing what happened recently

Started by Wood, 20 November, 2001, 08:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wood

I understand this won't mean that much to a lot of you 'been reading since prog 1' people, but...

A couple months ago, a mate gave me his brother's old comics collection, because it was taking up room. Apart from a pile of old 80s Eagles, this included around 600 2000AD progs from between numbers 335 and 1030. Since my own collection (bought weekly when I was in my teens) started around 700 and ended about 900, this was, in my opinion, a Good Thing.

Hurrah, I say! An instant collection. The coolest thing is actually reading them. Issues in the 300s, 400s and 500s where there isn't a single rubbish story. A lot of the best stuff I've read in reprints, but a lot is new to me. Like the SD story where King Clarkie falls in love with a mutant, or the Rogue Trooper stories drawn by Steve Dillon (who cares about the script, it's drawn by Steve Dillon!).

Well I was chuffed, anyway.

My wife, on the other hand... well. :)

Wood

That was my first post here.

Hullo.

Link: john heron project

Thread Zero

Hey wood,

Progs 300 to 5000 (1983 to 1987) is my all time fave period too.

Well, maybe a few years before and and after  that as well!

The Rouge Trooper story (always wanted to say that!) was the Hit series, I guess.
Although there was a John Smith Rogue Trooper story with art by Dillon and Walker later.
Called Cinnabar or something similar.
A rather freak out story it was too.
Gives me the heeby jeebys just thinking about it.

Rather enjoyed it.

scojo

Thread Zero

Hello!

Scojo is the name, aspiring screenwriter and message board pest here.

Nice to meet you.

scojo

Dominic O'Rourke

I dropped out of the 2kad just before the 300's but like yourself  had a good friend who let me sit up in his flat for about two weeks reading everything up to about 1989, he wouldn't let me take them though.

but heres a point, I cant keep my 2kad's, every so often I just throw them in the bin, I do keep the megs by the way, I think it's to do with not having a complete run (thats the fanboy in me coming out)
Member No. 10

Thread Zero

every so often I just throw them in the bin,  
Dorourke.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT??!!!!!!!!!!

You throw them away???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dorourke, HOW COULD YOU?

THIS HAD BETTER BE A WIND UP MATE.

scojo in trauma

Dominic O'Rourke

no joke (THUMP scojos jaw hitting floor) I'm one of those poor sods with the mother-throwing-out-their-old-progs stories, an then when I began to buy them again about '87, I was living in ireland, and the shops would either write the irish price in pen on the cover, or stick large price stickers on them, again from a collecting point of view nearly worthless(okay thats purely fiscal and very morose of me) and so those issues made it to the bin, I also wasn't particularly stable in my accomodation, moving around every 6 months or so, and a lot of copies got crushed or folded, with ripped pages, in fact I've just been home and considned a lot from the 600 aniversary ish and the one with a pencil on the cover in the bin, as the conditions were awfull, oh yeah I also used to keep pet rats, and found that quite a few issues had chunks taken out of them, and being charitable once I gave nearly a years worth to Alder Hey Childrens Hospital in liverpool ( I think a couple of issues of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers got mixed up in that pile), soooo

I've never had a lot of runs of 2kad, but cheer up I do have all the Megazines, the Complete Judge Dredd and the series from the movie, I have a couple of the quality/fleetway editions too, I do keep the runs with Anderson in them, as my girlfriend only reads this stuff (especially the Ranson ones)
Member No. 10

Thread Zero

You had rats too?
They eat the comics?

Laugh!

Oh this is hilarious!:0)

I think there is "situation comedy" potential here D!

scojo

And sod off you rats, I am trying to write!

Dominic O'Rourke

Situation comedy? don't make me laugh!!

for three years I lived over a pub in liverpool, the last pub on the Dock road, working with two of the hardest drinking barmen ever, come pay day their packets would have minus figures denoting what they owed the bar in drinks!! one of the blokes, Tommy, another Irish barman, was famous for his quote, when busy and rushed off his feet behind the bar, he would famously call out "Will ya slow down, I only have two pairs of hands!!"

and theres so much more, but I got their first, my mate and I wrote a couple of comic strips for a student mag in Ireland with three of the characters - Stokie, Dekko and Smell, under a working title of The Guinness Wars, currently being revamped for a flash animated production, in film studios in Cork, don't ask me which, but hopefully out for the Cork Film Festivel, sometime next summer. now getting back to that scipt.....
Member No. 10

evil.genius

That Rings a bell... Was it in the Waterford RTC Rag Mag?

evil.genius

Come to think of it, I might know who you are. Did you ever live in a flat opposite Extravision on the Mall in Waterford?

Dominic O'Rourke

it must have been someone just as good looking though!

okay I admit, yes it was in the WRTC ragmag, there was one other printed later too, and an aborted christmas issue that remains unprinted. Paul, the artists, has just recently completed his fine arts degree in Cork, and has a number of animations under his belt, and has been asked to provide another for next years film festivel in cork, so we got back together and have been working on rewriting the guinness wars for a flash animation.

who are you evil.sneak?
Member No. 10