Main Menu

Daredevil fans in the house?

Started by chris_askham, 20 September, 2008, 06:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: CommanderJobson on 09 September, 2011, 07:42:59 PM
I've own Miller's original run on Daredevil + Born Again & The Man Without Fear. I thoroughly enjoyed Bendis' run, but unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to read Brubaker's run.

I would unreservedly recommend Brubaker's opening arc, 'The Devil In Cell Block D', which is absolutely top-notch. I swear, I've seldom seen The Punisher written better than the way Brubaker totally nails his personality and modus operandi in these issues. It is about as excellent an introductory arc as I can imagine. However, with every subsequent arc, Brubaker's run gets weaker... the next one is pretty good, the one after still solid, but then it really starts to dip. I think Brubaker's not necessarily a 'big ideas' man... if he's given a good starting point, his  execution is flawless and super-competent (he and Matt Fraction together on 'Immortal Iron Fist' is a career high for both, Fraction firing off the lunatic ideas, Brubaker banging it all into shape) but left to his own devices things eventually unravel.

Colin YNWA

Well necropost schmecropost this is worth it.

Just finished the first collection of Waid, Rivera and Martin DD stuff (thank Amazon that the hardbacks are so cheap, it was getting hard resisting this in floppie and I ain't done floppie DD since Nocenti) and it was as good as I'd been lead to believe. I was nervous that after all the astonishing reviews it'd received, it couldn't match my expectations. It did just that and more.

As has been said by Gregits one of the most gorgeous American comics I've read since... since maybe Wednesday Comics. Its a feast on the eyes it really is, its bloody lovely. Waid has also made it the DD I've wanted to read for a long time. Its swashbuckling superheroics, just the way I love um, a bit like the Hawkeye stuff by Jim McCann but written by a bit of a genius.

Again as Greg says  (I should just quote his stuff and say "That" really!) Waid does a wonderful trick of making Matt a light, fun read, without negating all the crap he's been through for the last... well since Miller really. He side steps it, but leaves it hanging, sword, Dacomles, that kinda thing. When Mr Waid has a dark day I imagine it'll all come crashing back down, but for the time being this is one of the best mainstream comics I've read for an age.

bigjobs67

'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Greg M.

I was sure you'd love it, Colin, but I'm glad to hear it indeed went down well in the YNWA locale. You'll be pleased to hear that, as of #9, the quality hasn't dipped.... Marcos Martin's off the book, unfortunately, but Javier Pulido's work is no less beautiful. The current mini-arc, which sees Daredevil traversing the Mole-Man's caverns beneath New York, is utterly evocative, and makes the whole journey like some Orphean quest into the underworld. Just sublime.

bigjobs67

' Dare Devil traverses the Mole Mans caverns' So he's gay as well as blind. Poor fucker.

Alski

Loved Bendis' whole run, and Brubaker carried the torch pretty well, too.

For a good one off, try Joe Quesada's "Father", which has more about Battling Jack Murdoch and a great, moving story.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

bigjobs67

Fuck that!!!! I hate fuckin 'Dare Dangle'. He gets hit in the face by a bucket full of fuckin toxic shit and 'BANG' he's blinded and becomes a fuckin superhero.Twat.No thanks. I shit on all MARVEL (except of course all of Jack 'The God' Kirby's inspired and creater owned out put and work includin 'Machine Man') and lets not forget Marvels the bonkers 'DeathLock'. Fuckin Awsom.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

bigjobs67

No reply? Must mean you agree. lol.

Dandontdare

Quote from: bigjobs67 on 17 February, 2012, 11:28:50 PM
Twat.No thanks. I shit on all MARVEL

:o :o :o
Bwahahahahahaha

EDIT: but you rendered Roger speechless. Respect for that.

bigjobs67

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 17 February, 2012, 10:21:47 PM
The current mini-arc, which sees Daredevil traversing the Mole-Man's caverns beneath New York, is utterly evocative, and makes the whole journey like some Orphean quest into the underworld. Just sublime.

Was looking at the cover from 9 and it gave me flash backs to that final Nocenti Romita arc in the literal (both senses) underworld. Don't necessarily want it to be reflected in DDs current vein but always nice to remember that story.

Marvel do treat DD well creator wise and long may it continue.

bigjobs67

I hope he gets hit by a bus and dies.

chris_askham

Quote from: bigjobs67 on 18 February, 2012, 12:24:39 PM
I hope he gets hit by a bus and dies.

Bigjobs - I think we get the message that you don't like DD, so how about you just fuck off to another thread where you might find something more interesting / constructive to say?

bigjobs67

Oh. Okay. (Fuckin Dare Devil. Twat).