Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quotejust a novel that shares certain themes and ideas with it.

Gaiman trotting out the same thing again, eh? Who'd have thunk it..!

House of Usher

Quote from: DavidXBrunt on 12 August, 2009, 04:36:59 PM
Pride and Prejudice and ZOMBIES

That sounds like a hoot. And it sounds well written, too. The only thing about it I'm sure I would absolutely hate is the climactic scene with Lady Catherine de Burgh. I can't really believe that of her, and one thing I absolutely hate is [spoiler]ninjas[/spoiler]. I don't think they automatically improve anything they're added to, nor do I think they automatically make comedy funnier.

I do hope they make it into a film, even with [spoiler]ninjas[/spoiler] in it!
STRIKE !!!

Sefton Disney

You're a cynical man, Your Lordship. :-)

With regards to something The Cosh said back along, about Gaiman over-describing everything in his prose - am I the only person who thinks he does that in his comics, too?

Roger Godpleton

Re-read Supreme recently and was tickled to see Supreme's girlfriend wearing Ignatz Mouse earrings at one point.

Started reading some Dennett stuff. S'alright.

Reading the JLA Deluxe volumes. Love the scripts but is the Porter art ever ugly or what?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

I'm currently reading the Roderick series of books for children. I had a good chuckle reading "Roderick Shoots a Spaniard." It took me ages to track down a copy of "Roderick Stalks an Eskimo" from an antiquarian bookseller, and frankly it wasn't worth the expense, but it's nice to have the set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUn5rwnROY&feature=PlayList&p=C1B51B4CAAAAFD44&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19
STRIKE !!!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 14 August, 2009, 07:29:45 PM

Reading the JLA Deluxe volumes. Love the scripts but is the Porter art ever ugly or what?

Yeah on another thread just waxed lyrical about how great the Morrison JLAs are but have to admit not a fan of Porter's art, functional at best, though to be fair the stuff I've seen of his lately has been alot better.

Kerrin

I finished the second of "The Losers" TPBs last night. Jock's inkwork is class, really strong images from madcap lines and super sharp silhouettes. The script from Andy Diggle is good fun and he hits just the right note by not getting too special forcey.

Got the third one to start today as well, think I'll crack open a tinnie.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: Sefton Disney on 14 August, 2009, 01:18:31 PM
I haven't got around to Anansi Boys. I should really get my skates on, because (despite the impression I may have given above) I loved American Gods and Anansi is one of the best characters in it. According to Neil Gaiman, though, Anansi Boys isn't exactly a sequel to American Gods, just a novel that shares certain themes and ideas with it.
Anansi Boys is in the same universe as American Gods, but where American Gods was a big budget blockbuster, Anansi Boys is a far more low-key (ha ha, I made a funny) affair.  That's by no means a criticism, I enjoyed it hugely. 

Also worth finding is Gaiman's short fiction collection "Fragile Things" which features a rather good short story starring Shadow from American Gods (and many other things that are almost as much fun).

As for what I'm reading at the moment, I'm finishing up Matter by Iain Banks - one of his Culture novels and very diverting.  My non-fiction at the moment is In The Heart of The Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick - the true story of the events that inspired Moby Dick.  Good stuff.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

TordelBack

QuoteAs for what I'm reading at the moment, I'm finishing up Matter by Iain Banks - one of his Culture novels and very diverting.

Really a great read, one of his best and pretty deep in places.  Be interested to know what you thought of the ending when you get there.

Mike Gloady

I'll be sure to let you know TordelBack.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Radbacker

bit further into American Gods now glad you all said it was a slow starter, first couple of chapters didn't really know where it was at but by the time we hit chapter 3 [spoiler]guy eaten by a vagina[/spoiler] I now see.  Seems to have a bit of an early Clive Barker feel at the moment (more DAmnation Game/Weave World than his later kids stuff obviously).
Speaker of Barker whats he working on at the moment (I'm behind in The MEG so I haven't read the interview) I'd heard he's diving back into HArry D'amour/Art novels and gonna do a Stephen King and link his seperate books? any hints in the interview

CU Radbacker

Bolt-01

I've just finished reading Omnivistascope 5. Yet more cracking stories and pictures inspired by the former boarder known as PVS. AND a reprint for the wonderful 'Tides & Currents' strip he did with Julia Bax for FQ 05.

Well worth picking up if you are a fan of independant comics.

Omnivistascope

House of Usher

Excitement abounds !!

:)           :)           :)           :)           :)           :)           :)           :)           :)
STRIKE !!!

Eric Plumrose

Can't justify forking out over half a week's wages for a ticket (not that I'm much of theatre-goer, anyhow), so the library ordered me a copy of Stoppard's ARCADIA.

And it's been a fucking ace read.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

locustsofdeath!

Arthur Machen's "Hill of Dreams". Second time reading it, no less enchanting - and depressing.