Main Menu

Slaine Cover art

Started by Wake, 23 October, 2002, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wake

I bet that title made you look. On eBay, ending in about 13 hours is a cover from one of the US Quality Slaine reprint comics (number 17) by Mark Pennington (never heard of him). I was thinking of bidding but I've decided against it so I thought I'd let everyone else know.

I asked the seller about the size and shipping costs to the UK and got this reply:

The Cover is 11x17 on bristol board.
Cost to England with art placed between 2 sheets of Masonite to protect it from damage, then 2 sheets of one inch foam board over that to protect package is $20.00.

The current bid price is US$20.50. I'm not sure how much this kind of piece is worth. Probably more to someone who actually collects the Quality reprints than it is to me. The art doesn't look too bad compared with some of the other Quality covers.

Wake

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=725758963&rd=1" target="_blank">SLAINE THE BERSERKER COVER /ORIGINAL ART

http://ourworld.cs.com/thanadon/slaine.jpg">

Adrian Bamforth

Mark Pennington inked Chris Bachalo's pencils on Shade The Changing Man and for Bachalo since In think on X-Men type stuff. I think he inked Death The High Cost of Living as well. Great stuff, more detailed and tighter than Mark Buckingham's inking on the Shade.

ADE

JimBob

It lookls very David Pugh, is he the inside illiustrator for that issue, if so it's a rare Qualioty attempt to match cover to content.

opaque

It looks really nice and quite a good likeness to 'real' Slaine as it were.

If I had a largeable disposable income I'd consider it. It's only $20 as it can't be rolled but I guess it's a fair enough price as it's board.
But I'm trying to save my money to buy original art (got some more Gibson today, waiting on some Moonrunners and a page from a Future Shock as well).

Devons Daddy

to be honest it looks like slaine dressed as a strontium dog,
me thinks i will stick the faves. gibson, ron smith, and so on.
though i was wondering why has he got one leg with trousers on the other without? and arnt teh boots a bit off as well?

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Mudcrab

Looks pretty good. Rather have some Fabry Slaine though. I'd also like the money to be able to afford some Fabry Slaine :o)

However, I thought I'd just mention that my own original art collection has just increased, having won the last page of the first episode of Nemesis the Warlock (Kevin O'Neill). No Nemesis on it, but it's the 'witch trial' scene when the Terminators are dunking a woman underwater so she turns into her 'true form' and promptly gets executed. Marvellous! Quite expensive, but well worth it I reckon.

An overjoyed Strontium Doug!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

opaque

I've been buying art with good poses and locations (Gibson's Grand Hall of Justice, Dredd in various action poses) but also I'm interested in where in the story it's from. The Skizz I've got ends with 'Even though they that there was nowhere to run to... ... They kept on running.'

Out of interest how much was the Nemesis art?

Mudcrab

Ended at $187.50, which is erm, including postage, about ?123. Bit steep, but like I said, well worth it. Plus it'll be there on my wall for good, unlike the gallons of beer I've consumed over the years, well weeks, given the price of beer in Aberdeen. When you look at it like that, it's easily worth it :o)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Devons Daddy

about ?123. Bit steep, but like I said, well worth it

i totally agree with that statement , i own own about 5 pieces of 2000ad origanl art, and am very proud of each one. art is in the eye of the beholder. the true value of art work is in your own mind.
you dont purchase it for investment but because it gives you pleasure.
now i have to remeber that next time i go to ebay and repeat it word for word to devons mummy,
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!