Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 September, 2017, 09:36:44 PM
Still to better things and Si Spurrier's latest Angelic 1 is a complete trimuph of a first issues. Flying monkeys trying to make a young female conform as they battle flying killer Dolphins.... yep so much packed in, so much fun, such a nice use of future speak that doesn't throw you out the story and bad joke reveal at the end works a treat. In many a haul this would be book of the haul, alas magnificent as this is its got stiff competition.
I imagine it's a common complaint, but I rarely read a single issue multiple times these days. I've read this through three or four times already. It's a great opener. Mixing up some of Spurrier's recurring tricks in a more dayglo version of Kingdom's anthropomorphic post-apocalypse setting. He's also paired op with an artist who some might dismiss as "cartoony" but, for me, really makes the mix of organic and technological pop. The fazecat thing is the perfect synthesis of all of these things.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

So I really enjoyed Dan Dare 1 as discussed below what else hauled me a haul this haul. Well it hauled its hauly ass quite nicely and there wasn't really a buffer in the lot... if a couple of frustrations.

Both Rocket Girl 10 and They're Not Like Us 16 both suffered, badly from long delays in the series. The former had an ending I think was probably brilliant and when I finally get around to re-reading it will move me terribly... for now... well it lost significent impact. They're Not Like Us is a series I've loved but here we move through character I've almost forgotten at such pace I stopped caring. Again on re-read I suspect this will be aces. Such a shame.

The other disappointment is Elsewhere 3 which felt a little pedestrain but this series has earned itself some time after a great opening.

I got a nice surprise as well in that I'd not even heard of 'Kong - Gods of Skull Island 1' but since I'd got the Kong series my store put it aside for me and I was happy to try it and it was a really nice, neat little standalone. Judge Dredd - The Blessed Earth 6 continues to be a really interesting read. Its just crazy, in a good way and I can't wait to get this one re-read to see how well it hangs together when done. Cinema Purgatorio 12 continues to be a 4 out of 5 even if A More Perfect Union had one of its slight not really worked to its page count episodes. The excellent Cinema Purgatorio story more than made up for that. Code Pru could should still be called Code Po... nah I'll not do that...

Paper Girls 16 opens a new arc well enough, excited to see where this goes. Hillybilly 8 might only be half drawn by the Mighty Powell (cousin of the Mighty Yeowell one would assume) but its actually the story drawn by the guest artist that stands out (not artistically, no one beats Powell artistically... not that the guest art is bad by any stretch.). Kill or be Killed 13 kills it as ever. Sherlock Frankstein 1 steps in to hold the turf for Black Hammer and does so quite supremely.

Book of the Haul the most hauly book is of course Mage - Hero Denied 3. Matt Wagner is a comic GOD and this simple tale, moving plot on and working characters doesn't do anything special, but the absolute astonishing craftmanship of Wagner (M) is such that what in other hands might be an uninspiring 3rd issues used to move things forward to its next stage is a masterclass.

So got me some comics and I got me some Haul, it was good comics and they gave me good haul.

PreacherCain

The first two issues of Ennis and Parlov's Punisher: The Platoon are absolutely fantastic. I'm not sure there's been any other writer who gets The Punisher as well as Ennis does. Top notch stuff.

Also recently enjoyed Declan Shalvey and Philip Barrett's Savage Town. Hopefully sales are strong enough that we get a sequel.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 October, 2017, 09:18:17 PM
Sherlock Frankstein 1 steps in to hold the turf for Black Hammer and does so quite supremely.

Noooo! How did I miss this! -sob-

Colin YNWA

Fly me to the my LCS
Let me get another Haul
Then I'll come on the forum
And tell you about um all

In another words
Yes its true
In another words
More comics for me to review....

Not a massive haul this time, but not a bad one. Okay so Shane Davis on Kamandi Challenge 10 shows why I think he's one of the most over rated artists about. Some really ugly page design and sub Jim Lee art. Still the story was interesting and we have Rob Williams and Will Simonson next month so ya know.

Doctor Who 11th 3rd 11 continues to defy my expectation of cancelation by producing a really nice story to wrap up this two parter and with INJ on art its actually a bit of a winner ... still not sure this will survive past this 'season' . Speaking of not surviving I'm starting to have doubts about Paper Girls 17. I've enjoyed this series but this issue kinda struck me I need to get to grips with what its about... I need to get a sense of what's happening... for the first time I was taken by how many questions I have about why I enjoy this series... or think I do... maybe a re-read is needed. It certainly wasn't an off issue, just it struck me the series might be missing something with me... lets see huh.

We had two Jay Faerber comics this month proving he's the most 2000ad writer Tharg hasn't got. Elsewhere 4 is a return to form for this new series as it ends its first arc  which has been like a break neck old school 2000ad thrill. Just action, fun, good characters and don't think too hard. CopperHead 15 is paced more like a modern thrill, but with more great characters, more space for the sharp humour to shine through, still full of intrigue and not quite as dependent on the action all the time... though you know its coming. Two superb comics.

Moon Girl and NOT Devil Dinosaur 24 is a cute epilogue to the Girl Moon story with some nice team up shorts. Fun but really no more Devil Dinosaur... really... Larazus the Mini 4 was solid but the weakest of this fantastic series to date. The end was so telegraphed.

So clear book of the haul is Angelic 2 SO much fun, so sharp and exciting. My only beef with it is the art seems a little out of focus, literally, probably the colouring but writing and dialogue is so sharp who cares. If Si Spurrioso once of these pastures keeps this up he'll have another classic on his dirty talented hands. Genius.

Smith

Michael Cray #2.After Oliver Queen,the next target is Barry Allen.Im sensing a theme here.

Bolt-01

I got a very rare trip to the LCS yesterday so I collected a couple of floppies for series I've not read to jsut 'dip my toes' into strange waters.

I got: Scooby Apocalypse 19 by Giffen, DeMatteis and Eaglesham.

I picked this up purely because the art reminded me of Mike Allred. The plot was nothing tremendously original, in fact I twigged pretty early on what was going to happen, but it is done very well. You'd expect nothing less from the writers involved.

Also: No 1 with a bullet issue 1 by Semahn & Corona.

This was just because of the cover. The design work stood out so I thought I'd take a go on a single issue- and I'm glad I did. As the opening chapter of a new book I figured it might be too much to hope for that this would be a complete tale, and it isn't, but it almost was. The art is clear- though the colours could be toned down some for my tastes and the storytelling works. The plot was- to me- pretty much spot on and it's left me thinking... I may well be picking up later issues of this for a while.

Colin YNWA

Well tiny tiny haulie haulie but interesting things in there and two absolute gems... which we'll get to but first...

Kong on the Planet of the Apes 1. My LCS knows me too well and tucked this aside for me incase I wanted it. Of course I wanted it and its... well not bad. It kinda miranders its way through the awkward mire of crashing two worlds together. Its a little clumsy doing that, but now its out the way let the ape on ape action begin. Oh and I always like my Apes done the Magno way so for this alone I'm in simian heaven.

Dan Dare 2 continues to toy with being sublime in its second issue. Its not but its better than I was honestly expecting and the interaction between Dan and rude alien figher pilot (who did have a proper name but I'm old and forget such things readily) was an absolute treat.

Judge Dredd - The Blessed Earth 7 throws itself, seemingly without regard for anything, towards its anarchic conclusion. I can't wait to get around to reading this in one go. Its been a pretty crazy ride, particularly this second series but for all the none Dreddness of it as a comic in its own right I find it crazy fun.

Then we have to humdingers. Mage - Heros Denied 4... well its just a bit special isn't it. I remember a while ago praising Walt Simonson for turning an issue of Ragnarok that was basically just a fight into something that felt more significent and powerful than it was. Matt Wagner does the same here. Both Walt Simonson and Matt Wagner are geniuses and that's the connection.

Speaking of Genius I can only assume Kyle Starks is also. As in Rock Candy Mountain 5 he returns us to what is probably my favourite comic on the stands right now. Which if you know in what high regard I hold the aforementioned work of Matt Wagner is quite something. This origin story of a man, his soul, the devil his tricks, and Hilter, his pants is really something that you should all read. Its quite the most refreshing comic in many a year and comics of this and pretty much any haul it appears in.

Link Prime

Anyone else gonna admit that they picked up Doomsday Clock 1 this week?

Unfortunately, I had picked up business class tickets to the hype train but found it a very underwhelming read.
I know its early days yet, so I'll re-calibrate expectations for issue 2.

Satanist

Quote from: Link Prime on 24 November, 2017, 10:47:21 AM
Anyone else gonna admit that they picked up Doomsday Clock 1 this week?

Unfortunately, I had picked up business class tickets to the hype train but found it a very underwhelming read.
I know its early days yet, so I'll re-calibrate expectations for issue 2.

I bought this out of morbid curiosity. Its written fine and the art is great but the whole time all I can think is WHY?

I know the answer is MOAR watchmen cash but still.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

CalHab

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 November, 2017, 08:36:00 PM
Speaking of Genius I can only assume Kyle Starks is also. As in Rock Candy Mountain 5 he returns us to what is probably my favourite comic on the stands right now. Which if you know in what high regard I hold the aforementioned work of Matt Wagner is quite something. This origin story of a man, his soul, the devil his tricks, and Hilter, his pants is really something that you should all read. Its quite the most refreshing comic in many a year and comics of this and pretty much any haul it appears in.

I picked up the first issue of Rock Candy Mountain and then the trade. It really is excellent.

I was a bit disappointed that the trade didn't reprint the musicology piece that was at the back of the first issue, which gave some interesting context. Do the other issues carry similar pieces?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: CalHab on 27 November, 2017, 01:02:24 PM
I picked up the first issue of Rock Candy Mountain and then the trade. It really is excellent.

I was a bit disappointed that the trade didn't reprint the musicology piece that was at the back of the first issue, which gave some interesting context. Do the other issues carry similar pieces?

Its good to hear someone else has cottoned on to this little gem of a comic. When books like Sage, fun as they are, get praised to the heavens, its a crazy world when a comic of this quality go almost unnoticed as far as I can see.

Anyway yes there are some great notes about the history and 'rules' of Hobos in ever issue. For those alone its worth getting the floppies if they aren't included in the trade (which must be a slim bugger if they aren't!).

CalHab

Yeah, it's a very short trade. I think I'll go back to the individual issues in future.

I picked it up on the enthusiastic recommendation of my local comic shop, so it's certainly found an audience in my neck of the woods.

Colin YNWA

And the Feb listings have it (Rock Candy Mountain) as an 8 issue mini. Not a massive surprise as it's pretty niche but would have stuck with it as long as it was around, so quite sad about that.

Still I'll enjoy it while it's here.

Apestrife

MISTER MIRACE #5 is simply put fantastic. Big Barda BDSM:s up Scott in a bed is one of the most beautiful things I'v read this year.