Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

I caught up with Milligans Dan Dare,and its not worth it honestly.

Theblazeuk

I caught up on Image's The Realm

Initially I was very dubious about the fantasy post-apocalypse (though I would enjoy reading more of actual fantasy post-apocalypses), where the modern world falls to pieces due to magic, orcs and beasties. This sort of situation is only slightly more favourable to me than Shadowrun or 'Bright', where the near-future goes all High Fantasy and suddenly you've got Elves in your Starbucks and Orcs in your LAPD. Mostly I find the concept never lives up to its promise, and I end up longing for a Weirder apocalypse or a more traditional story of magical beasties, where swords and magic aren't around in a world that has already seen the horrors of the Big Bang Theory.

However, the first five issues of The Realm won me over pretty quickly.  The artwork is nice, crisp and functional whilst containing enough fine detail to sell a crumbling cityscape. The character designs are great. People wear a mix of typical post-apocalyptic survival gear, normal clothes and fantasy costume. So far, so normal but the main characters all have a clearly defined look that goes from panel to panel without ever feeling like a superhero costume or complete affectation. My favourite  of the fantasy bits is the younger scientist's little Conan belt, which seems out of place but suitable for a nerd, and my least favourite is bad guy Necromancer 'Eldritch' (Hmm) who dresses like every cliché of a dark metal cover.

The central concept isn't overly explained but you get enough to go along with, relying on the familiar just enough without losing all that's intriguing. It's nothing overly original or groundbreaking but it's solid and enjoyable, so in my book it's a good book.

Theblazeuk

ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN

Thank you for bangin on about it Colin. Damn fine.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 04 February, 2018, 12:12:03 AM
ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN

Thank you for bangin on about it Colin. Damn fine.

Oh that's great to hear and I'm stoked that someone (two now I think) has been turned into this brilliant comics. Now hope the rest of you are listening.

Colin YNWA

Mini haul this weekend, all the quicker to read (and a relaxing afternoon also included my latest Asterix re-read too - now that's a Sunday afternoon).

Anyway just the four this time and a mixed bag really.

Paper Girls 20 continues to see this series plod on. I think I need to find time to re-read as I'm losing interest and I'm not sure if its them or me. A re-read might freshen my view... but I've so much else to read!

Moon Girl 27, Devil Dinosaur isn't even in the title any more, still the best issue to date of this arc and finally Super Skrull is revealed in a very obvious 'surprise'. Still not as good as this series at it irregular best.

Snagglepuss 2 is a fine and very dark comic. Its very different to Flintstones, while retaining the social comment its much more focused and concentrated.

Finally it must have been dusty in the room as I read the last pages of Rock Candy Mountain 8 such a powerful ending to this greatest of comics. Its been an absolute delight and Kyle Starks has a big fan, can't wait to see what he does next.

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

How are you getting on with Paper Girls Adventurer?

Theblazeuk

I caught all of Extremity last week. What a comic! Races through the bloody business of generational vengeance in a fallen, floating world in what seems like no time at all. Great battle scenes and murky morality, amidst lovely character and world design.

The Adventurer

Extremity is a good'n, one of the best new titles of last year. For all the reasons Theblazeuk lists

As for Paper Girls, I'm still enjoying it. But I enjoy a good convoluted time travel story. That said I feel the sides of the conflict the girls are caught up in are still a bit vaguely defined in their goals and motivations. Which I don't like. We're getting a bit more from the current arc, we'll see we're it ends up.

zombemybabynow

Miracle man is getting better and better [spoiler]kind of reminds me of the L:egion tv show ie. what is reality / character's sanity[/spoiler]
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

CalHab

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 12 February, 2018, 09:52:04 AM
Miracle man is getting better and better [spoiler]kind of reminds me of the L:egion tv show ie. what is reality / character's sanity[/spoiler]

Mister Miracle?

The Adventurer

I just found out Extremity ends with its next issue. Ffffffffuck.

I'm unclear if it was planned finite, or was ended early.

Edit: oh thank goodness, though it wasn't planned to be twelve issues (or any set number), the creator decided the story had reached its natural end. https://twitter.com/danielwarrenart/status/961697524615712768

Proudhuff

Incognergro: Renaissance 1: Liking the idea of this, but find it all a bit static, would love to see what Howard Chaykin would do with this!
Kill or be killed 16:Good cliffhanger! Enjoying the madness of all this.
The Black Monday Murders 8:All hail god Mammon indeed, highly enjoyable but not one for reading on public transport  :o
Jenny Finn4 of4: That ending reminds me of Scarlet Traces for some reason, and the last bit seems tacked on, but its been fun swimming with the fishes.
War Stories, Flower of my heart 4 of4: I thought I'd missed this final part, no idea why it took so long, but I live in hope of a new artist!

Advert for: Crossed +100 Mimic: struggled to finish the last run and CBA with anything else in this world.
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 19 February, 2018, 07:42:29 PM
War Stories, Flower of my heart 4 of4: I thought I'd missed this final part, no idea why it took so long, but I live in hope of a new artist!

Alas I think this is the last issue, so we'll never know how good this could have been with a decent artist.

Theblazeuk

Angelic finished off in a kind of abrupt way. Was puzzled that Eye suddenly appeared in the story but still, great art, fun words, simply spurrier.