Main Menu

Meg 335 - Reaper Files

Started by A.Cow, 13 April, 2013, 12:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Dear God, Make It Stop!

This month's American Reaper is even more execrable than usual, with a pointless double-page title spread and SIX PAGES of talking heads that would make even Brian Michael Bendis weep.

Buttonman

They don't care for your opinions A.Cow - no Dreddlines once again!

A.Cow

I'll get my coat...

(In my haste to post my spleen-venting diatribe earlier, I forgot to mention how much I loved The Streets of Dan Francisco.  Quinn Martin block rules!)

moly

They should of put reaper as the floppy might of read better that way

Hawkmumbler

No prog but a meg? Ah well, it'll do. And screw me TSoDF is a bit fun. I like this already. :D

Proudhuff

well its a kind of mixed old bag, a DRedd story that has a great payoff and Mr Burns' usual artwork, but the whole thing doesn't really fit in with MC1 as she stands now.

The advert for Prog is very 1990's wacky so is a bit worrying

The text stuff I'll read later, but DanFran is good but I'm hoping it has a short arc and not dragged out into a prolonged series, speaking of  AR it really has overstayed its welcome

Bob's twisted tale is another well done thang, but the best is last with Insurrection 3 firing all guns and going out in a blaze of glory... and still no letters page, I think we should take th ehint.
DDT did a job on me

moly

Thought the twisted tale was very good and the reaper file was the best think about American reaper since the story started maybe a case of what could of been

Buttonman

Sod it - this thread is now my nominated Dreddlines (although not eligible for Beast content)

I am writing out of hope rather than expectation of being read as we now have had 5 issues of The Judge Dredd Megazine without a 'Dreddlines' feature.

You have usually been far more reliable than 2000ad for showcasing the views of your readers and I have to say I'm disappointed that your move to a monthly schedule has coincided with the views of your readership being ignored.

I say 'ignored' but it could be that you simply have no letters to print. Personally I find this hard to believe but I must admit my own missives have gone missing, as the weeks without a letters page have dragged on. You have always turned the other cheek and printed both the bouquets and brickbats in equal measue so is it down to the new schedule? Or have the weeks without a Dreddlines convinced the readership that it's a thing of the past?

I can't believe in a world of 18 pages of 'American reaper' that no one is writing in so I'll say now that I'm resuming my letter writing protest by, er, writing in every week until the silent majority get a hearing at last! C'mon Dreddlines, make a showing - when it's balanced and well crafted it's the best page in the issue!

B'man

Proudhuff

never mind not much love for the floppies, looks like not much lorve for the Megazine
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

I can't speak for 2000 AD or the Meg, but I imagine if there's no letters page, that probably mostly comes from there not being enough interesting letters. Most publications I write for have dramatically scaled back that aspect of the mag, purely on the basis of receiving fewer and fewer communications of that sort from readers.

mygrimmbrother

A shame to see the art change styles in Insurrection - was this a time constraint thing I wonder? Bob Byrne's strip was lovely in colour. Haven't read TSoDF yet but looking forward to it. AR can bugger off.

Cactus

Five strips, one interview and a short story? Almost a perfect issue. I'm especially pleased to see The Streets of Dan Francisco here. As the only surviving ex-Chief Judge, Francisco's story has the potential to be a genuinely original Dreddverse story. Exactly the kind of thing the Megazine was made for. Great art too.

A page or two of Dreddlines would be nice, but with this much good comic I'm already satisfied.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Banners

Great to see the Paul Marshall interview. A hugely underrated and underused Dredd artist imho.

Mabs

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 17 April, 2013, 01:06:36 AM
A shame to see the art change styles in Insurrection - was this a time constraint thing I wonder? Bob Byrne's strip was lovely in colour. Haven't read TSoDF yet but looking forward to it. AR can bugger off.

Oh dear. I'm really not happy with the change of style for Insurrection. I was really impressed with last months artwork - it elevated the strip to a whole other level, but looking at the artwork now, its devoid of that magic touch. Can someone from the Meg explain as to why this was the case? Was it - as stated already - to do with time constraint? Even so it's a damn shame.  :(
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mikey

Quote from: Banners on 17 April, 2013, 08:33:39 AM
Great to see the Paul Marshall interview. A hugely underrated and underused Dredd artist imho.

Couldn't agree more Banners. Really love his Dredd.

I've just a couple of things to add at the minute: I really like American Reaper and think anyone who has any sort of problem with Insurrection needs their head seen to! It's that and Stickleback are top of the pops for me this weather. And I also enjoyed the Downlode Tales floppies over the last few months but haven't read the concluding part to the prose yarn yet.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.