Main Menu

Partner with IDW to bring out a full colour version of Halo Jones

Started by matty_ae, 05 October, 2016, 02:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

I'm normally against messing with it, but it would be interesting to see if it could work.

I thought Dylan's colouring of Cliff's Terra Meks spread was fantastic - I wish he'd done the colouring job on the cover of the hardback.

sheridan

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Don't know what the heck happened there - no "Edit" button, either. Sorry! P'raps a mod could fix it?

Bolt-01: Tweaked to remove multiple images. You uploaded attachments as well as the linked image.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

While a lot of strips are perfectly fine in black and white, I've often thought Halo Jones could work very well in colour, assuming it was done respectfully and, well, good. (Obviously.) I don't say this to knock the current lovely art, but when I look at the collection cover with those lush pastel tones, part of me yearns to see something like that inside.

I'm a philistine, I know.

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 25 February, 2017, 02:50:13 PM
While a lot of strips are perfectly fine in black and white, I've often thought Halo Jones could work very well in colour, assuming it was done respectfully and, well, good. (Obviously.) I don't say this to knock the current lovely art, but when I look at the collection cover with those lush pastel tones, part of me yearns to see something like that inside.

I sort of agree, because I love Ian Gibson's painted art (as well as his B&W stuff).  Only problem there is that it was created to be published in black and white, and artistic decisions are different if you're expecting it to end up in colour (either if you're colouring it yourself or having someone else colour your work).  I can't imagine the streets of Manhattan being improved by being coloured at this stage (though if they'd been designed to be printed in colour then I can see how the misty/foggy streets could appear).

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 26 February, 2017, 02:21:54 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 25 February, 2017, 02:50:13 PM

I sort of agree, because I love Ian Gibson's painted art (as well as his B&W stuff).  Only problem there is that it was created to be published in black and white, and artistic decisions are different if you're expecting it to end up in colour (either if you're colouring it yourself or having someone else colour your work).  I can't imagine the streets of Manhattan being improved by being coloured at this stage (though if they'd been designed to be printed in colour then I can see how the misty/foggy streets could appear).

p.s. you just have to look at his strips in the 1985 and 1986 annuals to see how Halo could have ended up if the weekly prog had been in colour at the time.

p.p.s. the edit function seems to appear intermittently of late - sometimes it's there when I've just posted something, other times it isn't...

matty_ae

Charlie Kirchhoff who does the IDW coloured version of the Dark Judges is both incredibly reserved and then understands when to use colour to the max.

If I could Id do a kickstarter to get Halo coloured by him.

TordelBack

Richard

matty_ae

Richard

matty_ae

Yes it is. Not with IDW but Rebellion have announced full colour Halo at MCM today. Unless you mean ' not happening' in a Scooby Doo 70s 'this ain't groovy type' judgemental way.

IndigoPrime

Richard