Main Menu

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 October, 2016, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Goaty on 05 February, 2018, 09:42:09 PM
I am curious to know what Star Wars films that die-hard fans really want?

Not that one they just saw. They want the one in their heads. It's brilliant. But when they try to explain it, it comes out pish.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

The final entry in the Ewoks trilogy.

TordelBack

It's a damned good question. I had gathered from post-TFA whining that true fans wanted something really dark (they always do),  but obviously not as dark as a depressed Luke, or even a [spoiler]dead Luke,  or a devastated Resistance[/spoiler]. I also understood that they wanted a new type of Grey Jedi,  but clearly not ones that had abstained from the struggle of good and evil,  or practised new Force powers not previously seen.

So I think the answer is 'new stuff,  as long as it's exactly the same as the old stuff,  but not too like the old stuff'.

If these movies didn't take well over a billion, you'd swear making them would be just too much grief.

Goaty

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 February, 2018, 10:46:09 PM
So I think the answer is 'new stuff,  as long as it's exactly the same as the old stuff,  but not too like the old stuff'.

Like this?

SIP

Personally, I just want some light hearted space adventures with a heavy emphasis on "fun", with next to zero "grim".

You know those early Marvel Star Wars comics? That kind of adventurous silliness. And a big old happy ending so I can skip out of the cinema with a smile.

I go elsewhere for grim and gritty.

The Han Solo movie may actually tick this box.

Ps. I know this is entirely contradicted by my liking of episode 3......but the end of that film had effectively been written 22-28 years previously, so I was good.

Tiplodocus

I mentioned on FB that the "box ticking part of this won't bother me. Sure I know all of the Han/Chewie/Lando/Falcon references but for most of the audience "I won her fair and square" and "Kessel run" are throwaway lines in movies they've seen and enjoyed a couple of times. They haven't read EU stuff that mentions how Han saved Chewie. (Am I right that this isn't referenced in any movies?)

Hell, half of the audience still think he's called HANS.

So if they join those dots in a fun fashion for most people, and as I note above the talent they have on board is certainly capable of that, I can live with that.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IndigoPrime

Coming at this as someone who's not a huge Star Wars nut – but who's nonetheless watched every film – I can't say this trailer did anything for me. It feels like something we'll likely catch on rental, but it felt kind of nothingy (although not nearly to the same extent as the astonishingly dull Jurassic World trailer).

I suppose one thing I dislike about Star Wars in general is its tendency to create and then remove mystery. This happens across a lot of media, and it's vanishingly rare for whatever was in your head to be bettered when it's all explained. Mignola's a master of that. Things just happen in Hellboy, or you have references that are made repeatedly, but you're never shown. In 2000 AD, we had a lot of that with Indigo Prime and Devlin Waugh, and in the latter case I'm not sure we've benefitted from seeing the resolution to one long-teased element of the lead's world.

With Han Solo, I liked that the stories were just stories. I hope this isn't just an exercise in seeing all the things we've heard about. That said, Rogue One was – to my mind – broadly successful in delivering a 'fill in' story, so perhaps this will manage the same. (And Lando looks to be very well cast here.)

TordelBack

Both the Jurassic World 2 trailers are deathly dull - and I really enjoyed the first one, as well as having mild platonic crushes on both Chris Pratt and Bryce Howard.

TBH I have no serious problem with the projected box-ticking, my core problem is that Han Solo's story seems complete to me*.  Did we ever need to know anything more than that he was a cynical self-regarding scoundrel,maverick pilot, smuggler and swindler, until he found friends, love and a larger purpose? So what I want from the movie, insofar as I want it at all, is a decent fresh fun plot within which the box-ticking (and maybe even the character development?) is incidental.  Will I get it?

*And that a great deal of the character's appeal is tied up with Ford's stunning screen charisma. 

SIP

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 February, 2018, 11:53:38 AM
Did we ever need to know anything more than that he was a cynical self-regarding scoundrel,maverick pilot, smuggler and swindler, until he found friends, love and a larger purpose?

........and then went right back to being a cynical self-regarding scoundrel, maverick pilot, smuggler and swindler.....in a "what if?" film I saw once.....

Proudhuff

until he found friends, love and a larger purpose?

misread as  'until he found friends, love and a lager purpose' which would have been motivation enough
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 06 February, 2018, 12:07:12 PM
'until he found friends, love and a larger porpoise'

Now we've got ourselves a story!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goaty

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 February, 2018, 12:13:42 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 06 February, 2018, 12:07:12 PM
'until he found friends, love and a larger porpoise'

Now we've got ourselves a story!

Didn't Spurrier already do that one?

TordelBack

Quote from: SIP on 06 February, 2018, 12:00:37 PM
Did we ever need to know anything more than that he was a cynical self-regarding scoundrel,maverick pilot, smuggler and swindler, until he found friends, love and a larger purpose?

........and then went right back to being a cynical self-regarding scoundrel, maverick pilot, smuggler and swindler.....in a "what if?" film I saw once.....

Heh!  I think having his family disintegrate when his son turned into a mass-murderer and started worshipping the man who committed genocide against his wife's people and tortured him/froze him as an experiment,  and then having his pal/brother-in-law vanish, probably caused a degree of emotional backsliding. Going back to the only thing he (thought he) was ever any good at seems like a plausible reaction to me.  But note that once a Rey of hope (geddit) appeared he pulled on his big-boy pants and got right back in the saddle.

Keef Monkey

Star Wars trailers rarely excite me, and I always love the eventual movies. The trailers seem to know they don't really need to do anything more than show you it's a Star Wars movie, and in that regard it's nice that they don't really give away much else (granted, after the first reveal trailers I don't bother to watch any more until the movies come out. I've only watched the initial teaser for Solo and probably won't watch another).

The trailers for The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi all left me curiously cold, but I love all three of those movies pretty damn hard.

So basically, I'm on board, regardless of any trailers.