Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I have no idea how Fox chooses which shows live or die, but I presume it involves a dartboard.

edit: and a big bucket of money for Chuck Lorre.

Radbacker

just watched episode 1, enjoyed it, but I'm not really are hard core trekkie I like all of the series even Voyager its good to get some SF on TV but I dont know how the hardcore Trekies (Trekers???) will get on with it.  New Klingon design is a bit full on not sure they can explain the change with a virus thingie that they did between the original series and later ones.  I like Orville too but no wheer near enough dick jokes.

CU Radbacker

Smith

I saw the first 2 episodes and I think its a pretty strong start.I didnt like the new Klingon design,I must say.

JamesC

I've seen some good reactions from people on Facebook.
It looks like a pretty strong start.

blackmocco

Aw man, I loved it. Very much updated for 2017, both visually and in the way the story's told. Cast are stellar, but Burnham's character is an instant classic. Saru is great too. Reminded me of the crewmember from the 70s animated show.

Being Star Trek, it's not perfect. Some of the dialog's clunky, there's a LOT of exposition dumps, but honestly, it's about as great as I was hoping for. Hard to say more without spoiling. Bullet point: loved it. Can't wait for more.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

von Boom

The first two episodes were terrific! I'm shocked at how much I enjoyed that. It was fun and very Trekian. The look of the series is stunning, with exception of the blasted use of lens flare. I'm hooked.

auxlen

I've tried to enjoy Trek many times and TNG was the one i enjoyed the most (except for episdoes that involved Riker playing his trombone/trumpet), but I'll give this a go.....

Theblazeuk

I enjoyed thoroughly. Not bothered by the Klingons too much - bit baroque but tis fine if the aliens look more alien now it doesnt cost much to do it.

Professor Bear

It's okay, but I'm glad I gave Orville a chance considering all the criticisms that apply to that can equally apply to Discovery.
I'm not sure it holds together from one moment to the next - what exactly was the point of the opening scenes on a desert planet, if the ship didn't know the captain was in trouble how could it see the starfleet symbol etc - and I'm not feeling that derivative and aimless theme tune.  Others have expressed my opinions on the daft Klingon designs, I'm not sure about subtitling the Klingon scenes, and the racial allegories are as clumsy as I've ever seen in or out of sci-fi - "don't confuse race and culture"/"others judge the colour of your skin" etc.

Still, it's a good romp.  It owes more to the reboot movies than it does the tv shows, which I'm sure will be a deal-breaker for some.  Well, that and having to pay for a whole new channel to watch it, obviously.

dweezil2

I thought the first two episodes were horrible.

Where was the adventure, the humanity and yes, the discovery?

Wooden acting, simplistic 'gun ho' action and humourless.
Hope it improves.  :(
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 25 September, 2017, 06:45:30 PM
I'm not sure it holds together from one moment to the next - what exactly was the point of the opening scenes on a desert planet, if the ship didn't know the captain was in trouble how could it see the starfleet symbol etc - and I'm not feeling that derivative and aimless theme tune.

The desert bits seemed to be a general theme-setter for newbies – the Federation's function. The Star Fleet sign's only function is to be a cute end shot before the credits.

Generally I thought it was OK – no better or worse than the general run of old Trek TV I've seen – but I haven't seen this many Dutch-Angles since Battlefield Earth.

blackmocco

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 25 September, 2017, 06:45:30 PM
It's okay, but I'm glad I gave Orville a chance considering all the criticisms that apply to that can equally apply to Discovery.

It's a shame the shows are being pitched against each other, to be honest. Pretty clear they're doing very different things with the concept and seeing as STD's on premium, they're not even competing with each other for ratings.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Professor Bear

I think Orville has done Discovery a massive solid in being so like TNG - a lot of the aggressive and hostile social media voices and fan channels who initially came out against both shows seem to have taken to the former and it's really calmed them down, to the point I think they'll be more forgiving of what they see as Discovery's shortcomings.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 September, 2017, 07:29:57 PMI haven't seen this many Dutch-Angles since Battlefield Earth.

Those aren't Dutch angles, the Discovery cameramen just keep tripping because they can't see a fucking thing on that bridge.

TordelBack

Most criticisms made above are vaild: the JJTrek leanings undermine claims to be in the 'Prime' timeline; Martin-Green's over-acting as Burnham is proving bit wearing;  Sarek-On-Demand feels very wrong; the subtitles are unnecessary and offputting for (my) kids; AND we've only watched the first episode, BUT...

I enjoyed it rather a lot.

Failures to hold the camera level aside, it looked great, the Shenzou is a lovely design - much nicer than the horrid 2009 Enterprise - and the lead it takes from NuTrek actually seems to be from the superior entry of the reboot trilogy, ST: Beyond. I got used to the new Klingons in about 30 seconds (I mean, why not a bit of racial diversity in a clan-based interstellar species?), the bridge banter (while forced) was welcome, and I thought the whole thing conveyed the Starfleet ethos rather well, while still somehow feeling like it was in 'the past'. 

Yeah, this has more than earned a chance.  Many times better than 'Encounter at Farpoint' or 'Broken Bow' anyway.