Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 September, 2017, 08:15:37 PM

Speaking of Enterprise, has anyone had a go at Discovery's James Bond title sequence yet?

Actually in terms of visuals it put me more in mind of Manhattan's title sequence.  What jarred more was a lack of any coherent structure to the 'music'.  Every time I thought it was going to go somewhere, it didn't ...

Only managed about 20 minutes of it so far (busy week) but I do like the banter dynamics of the bridge crew.  Not to mention the comment about sarcasm. 

Magnetica

I miss TNG / DS9 style sound effects for doors opening, the transporter and the phasers.

It's just not Star Trek without them. :lol:

jacob g

Putting Voyager aside (which for me was only star trek serial I didn't enjoy)... I think I kinda like Discovery. It has it's flaws and first episode is much better than the second but it's enjoyable mashup of "something old and something new" like every series before.

I like how this two episodes was more Mass Effect than JJ Abrams and how Captain Georgiou being the "old" captain is more like captains of Trek future.

Maybe I enjoyed this two episodes because I was expecting huge mess... I don't know, something like Alien: Covenant maybe? But Discovery so far is ok.
margaritas ante porcos

von Boom

Quote from: Magnetica on 27 September, 2017, 08:18:56 AM
I miss TNG / DS9 style sound effects for doors opening, the transporter and the phasers.

It's just not Star Trek without them. :lol:

I miss the bosun's whistle of the original series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZGQzXCbrGo

blackmocco

It was used on Discovery in the background. Always a thrill hearing it.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Smith on 26 September, 2017, 09:06:23 PM
@blackmocco
Hard to argue with a lot of that.Voyager had a rocky start,but it did get better later on.Doctors arc was pretty good.Tuvok was the best Vulcan ever.Or second best,at least.Chakotay was cool.There is Seven of Nine ofc.
But yeah,for a crew fighting for suvival,it was a bit too clean.And yes,Kazons always top the "Worst ST villains" lists.And Borg decayed as a threat pretty fast.
Those hunter guys were decent villains.

Chakotay wasn't cool at all. He was like Bungle from Rainbow in a Starfleet uniform. Apart from that, I agree.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Smith

Well,this was 10-15 years ago for me,so some of my opinions would probably change now.

The Legendary Shark

This is the internet. Altering your opinions is forbidden.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

Smith

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 September, 2017, 08:36:54 PM
This is the internet. Altering your opinions is forbidden.
First,I would have to rewatch Voyager,for that.Unfortunatly,I dont have time for it.But maybe soon.

TordelBack

JamesC

I watched the first two episodes of this last night and absolutely loved it. It's great to have Trek on telly again.

TordelBack

Watched the second episode, quite the shock ending!  Knew [spoiler]Georgiou and the Shenzhou[/spoiler] were for the chop (although I very much doubt we've seen the last of either of them), but I was amazed to see the terrific [spoiler]T'Kumva [/spoiler]go down so soon - thought he was going to be [spoiler]the big baddie[/spoiler]! 

Other pleasant surprises included the unrestrained diversity of Starfleet and Klingon ship models, after being restricted to a handful of designs outside of the Cambrian Explosion that was STVIII:First Contact (and to a lesser extent the Kelvin timeline), which if nothing else was a loud justification for going for a completely different look: if they have the will and the capacity to do this, then they can't be expected to stick to the existing canonical forms.  As every RPG, tabletop and computer game before them has done, they had to go their own way or be choked, and they bought my nerdly goodwill with this cornucopia of classes.  And it was also nice to see further developments from the NX-01 hull design, and indeed the Franklin.

I also enjoyed the failure of [spoiler]Georgiou and Burnham's attempt to take the Klingons on hand-to-hand.  My kids were shouting 'oh come on, that's stupid, they'd have no chance!' when the sequence started, only to be rapidly silenced by the revelation that our heroes were indeed outclassed and fecked.  And what will the Klingons make of the booby-trap-the-body play,[/spoiler] surely the most dishonourable thing Starfleet has ever done.  Worthy of Commander Sheridan or Mal Reynolds at their best!  If that doesn't provide fuel for hostilities past Axanar and right up to Narendra III, I don't know what would.

Professor Bear

I don't know about you, but I recall having to sit through interminable Klingon-centric episodes telling me that the Klingons don't give a toss about the body of a warrior once he's popped his clogs - Discovery even directly references the TNG* episode in which this was established when they all do the doggy howl thing at that Klingon funeral - which apparently they have now - in episode 1.

* because of course an episode of Trek about the interminable minutiae of a fictional alien race's cultural practices was a TNG episode.

TordelBack

{Fanconning rather than Crediting the Writers here, but...} I think T'Kumva is deliberately playing against this aspect of Kilngon culture, with his morbid emphasis on the remains of warriors, even using them as 'armour', emphasising respect for a lost past, and by extension pain-sticking everyone's conscience about what Kahless would have wanted from them.  Celebrating the physical presence of the honoured dead is a familiar trick from a nationalist.

Anyway, it's more the cowardly act [spoiler]of hiding a bomb in a corpse[/spoiler], rather than the sanctity of the corpse itself, that would strike me as anathemic to Klingon notions of honour (although that's a bit rich from a race that prides itself on its cloaking technology).