Main Menu

First episode of Dredd TV series

Started by Tarantino, 23 July, 2017, 09:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

For me the way to start is to use short self contained episodes to introduce Dredd, the city and the citizens and the Judges. Stuff from the late (Prog) 100s to early 200s would be perfect. I'm think Christmas Comes Early to Chalton Heston Block or the Crime Files type stuff or Otto Sump.

Then introduce a Pit style arc.

Tarantino

Supersurf is not a bad idea,  but what I'd really like to avoid is an ending to a Dredd episode that goes like this..........

5 judges and Dredd are gathered around a computer

Judge 1
So where did the Dark Judges come from

Judge 2
A place called Deadworld,

Judge 3
Which is in another dimension

Judge 1
I see, and this Judge Death lived there.

Judge 3
Yes, and he surmised that all crime was committed by the living and so therefore life itself is a crime.

Judge 2
To that end he killed everyone on Deadworld

Judge Dredd
He then found away to cross dimensions to travel to Mega City 1 to continue his rampage.

Judge 4
Yes but he never considered that he would be facing his nemesis in Judge Dredd

And that's it, plot surmised, everyone's in the loop, job done

I just hate those moronic endings

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tarantino on 27 July, 2017, 01:16:36 PM
Supersurf is not a bad idea,  but what I'd really like to avoid is an ending to a Dredd episode that goes like this..........

Considering that type of thing doesn't happen in the comic and the series is being worked on by writers of Judge Dredd, I don't think you've much to worry about.

Richard

I don't know which shows you've been watching, but I've never seen that happen on a TV show before. It doesn't happen in Game of Thrones, or House of Cards, or The Walking Dead, or The Handmaid's Tale. It didn't happen in the Dredd movie either. I think you can relax.

IndigoPrime

It happens in a lot of shows, to be fair – even good ones. Elementary does this often, albeit in a somewhat subtler fashion than that script. It's particularly common in US shows, where the production team assume people haven't been paying attention (so not Game of Thrones, Fargo, House of Cards, etc.)

I can't imagine it'd happen in Dredd. Assuming the Kingsleys stay involved (and why wouldn't they?), they're going to ensure if the show becomes a reality, it won't be shit. Although I know Dredd divided opinion somewhat around these parts, it was objectively a tight, smart, well-edited, decently scripted* movie, and they wouldn't allow a telly show to be anything different.

* Apart from one bit I've never really understood – why doesn't Dredd at any point pick up another weapon when he realises he's running low on ammo? Bit weird.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 July, 2017, 08:51:11 PM
* Apart from one bit I've never really understood – why doesn't Dredd at any point pick up another weapon when he realises he's running low on ammo? Bit weird.

Been a while but he doesn't throw away his Lawgiver, does he?
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Richard

No but he could holster it and use another gun. Not something I'd thought of before but it seems obvious now!

Tarantino

Quote from: Richard on 27 July, 2017, 07:41:34 PM
I don't know which shows you've been watching, but I've never seen that happen on a TV show before. It doesn't happen in Game of Thrones, or House of Cards, or The Walking Dead, or The Handmaid's Tale. It didn't happen in the Dredd movie either. I think you can relax.

Of course there's loads of shows it doesn't happen in but It happens in virtually every American cop show you can name.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Richard on 27 July, 2017, 10:43:00 PM
No

It's a Grudawful trope. And not one Garland was likely to resort to, I'm sure.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Tarantino

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 July, 2017, 08:51:11 PM
It happens in a lot of shows, to be fair – even good ones. Elementary does this often, albeit in a somewhat subtler fashion than that script. It's particularly common in US shows, where the production team assume people haven't been paying attention (so not Game of Thrones, Fargo, House of Cards, etc.)

I obviously watch the right show, because that format is completely alien to me.

I can't imagine it'd happen in Dredd. Assuming the Kingsleys stay involved (and why wouldn't they?), they're going to ensure if the show becomes a reality

Did you watch the talk the Kingsley's gave at the Con?

dweezil2

As the city is as much a character as Dredd and the rest of the Judges, a possibly good way to establish the world, would be to follow a normal citizen, maybe one who works at Resyk, watch him be brutally assaulted by some punks and then watch the law come down hard on said punks and the cit for exposing himself to danger, maybe getting a beating from the Judge for his troubles-could be a way to introduce a corrupt Judge like 'Manners' too and the justice system.

So a bit like the '95 movie's opening 15 minutes, but better.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Colin YNWA

Smith

Belive me,there are plenty of tropes people dont like.