Main Menu

New Landscape of Mega-City One Post DoC?

Started by The Sherman Kid, 24 August, 2017, 12:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

Well its been quite a while now, so you can't fault a lack of patience, but why oh why has no overview (ie a map) of the denuded Mega City One,  been shown for the benefit of the readership?

Entire sectors must be laid waste or almost empty given the severe drop in population -has everyone been moved to central sectors to ease policing and control, or are there many 'ghost sectors' where structures still stand but with hardly any inhabitants? What is the new shape of the city?

Straight after the Apocalypse War saga ,I seem to recall a revised map of MC 1, giving the new lay of the land, why not after DoC an equally seismic event?

Remedying this would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in anticipation.

sheridan

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 24 August, 2017, 12:01:29 PM
Well its been quite a while now, so you can't fault a lack of patience, but why oh why has no overview (ie a map) of the denuded Mega City One,  been shown for the benefit of the readership?

Entire sectors must be laid waste or almost empty given the severe drop in population -has everyone been moved to central sectors to ease policing and control, or are there many 'ghost sectors' where structures still stand but with hardly any inhabitants? What is the new shape of the city?

Straight after the Apocalypse War saga ,I seem to recall a revised map of MC 1, giving the new lay of the land, why not after DoC an equally seismic event?

Remedying this would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in anticipation.

We've seen ghost sectors (in the post-CJ Dan Francisco story, among other stories).  I think the first post-Apoc map was in Bob's Law, Prog 355 (can't remember how Bob's Law got tied in to renaming sectors though).

Frank

I think Tharg's wise to keep that kind of thing vague until someone has a story that involves filling in some small part of detail.

The map cited above was only published to facilitate the superb Sir Humphrey spiel of the admin judge in charge of sector relocation - and the blackly comic, cynical story that followed from it.

Somebody in the art department could knock up a bullshit map in five minutes, but when someone had a great idea for a story about an incursion from the West Wall spod readers would write furious letters explaining this could never happen because that sector's supposed to be empty.

In summary, comics are about stories.

The Sherman Kid

Funny how the mind play tricks, could have sworn there was one immediately after. CJ McGruder does point to one in the Robot rebellion story that immediately followed the Apocalypse War (that's what I think I was recalling) , but having dug out the prog and actually looked at it, it's very 'sketchy' and that's  being kind.

Of course any map should be part of a story, I took that as a given. An overview would still be appreciated, to better grasp where things stand overall.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Frank on 24 August, 2017, 01:42:57 PM

I think Tharg's wise to keep that kind of thing vague until someone has a story that involves filling in some small part of detail.

^^^ this

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 August, 2017, 06:57:25 PM
Quote from: Frank on 24 August, 2017, 01:42:57 PM

^^^ this

^^^ this supporting that.

sheridan

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 24 August, 2017, 03:46:38 PM
Funny how the mind play tricks, could have sworn there was one immediately after. CJ McGruder does point to one in the Robot rebellion story that immediately followed the Apocalypse War (that's what I think I was recalling) , but having dug out the prog and actually looked at it, it's very 'sketchy' and that's  being kind.

Of course any map should be part of a story, I took that as a given. An overview would still be appreciated, to better grasp where things stand overall.

I agree wholeheartedly.  A map on its own wouldn't be that interesting (I have quite a few RPG maps, but without having played in the worlds in question they're not usually that interesting).  What I want is a story.  With a map.

Professor Bear

Tharg's already admitted a whole bunch of post-DOC stories were inventory strips that were retooled, so I assumed there aren't any clearly-defined parameters for the post-DOC Meg and Tharg just crosses the continuity bridge when he comes to it.

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 26 August, 2017, 01:44:16 PM
I assumed there aren't any clearly-defined parameters for the post-DOC Meg and Tharg just crosses the continuity bridge when he comes to it.

I think that's the best way. Wagner's on record as saying he never had any grand plan for the direction of the strip, so tying down his successors seems wrong.

I'm really not shitting on the Sherman Kid for wanting a map - everybody loves a map - but, since nobody has any idea how the city may have changed or what they want to do with it in future, it would be sort of pointless.

Remember that map of the world in Shamballa? Made up by Grant and Kevin Brighton on the spot, yet anyone pitching a Dredd world story since has been constrained by it* and - most importantly -
nobody was inspired to write stories based in the cities it established.

* Sort of. The map contained a caveat that the information it contains is incomplete and subject to change at short notice (basically acknowledging and hedging against all the problems its authors knew it could cause), thus making the map a pointless exercise.

Proudhuff

I'm sure the Car-Roll Droid has this well in hand and will wow us all with a map for the Xmas Dredd story right?

;)a boy can dream!

DDT did a job on me