Main Menu

Could we have some cyberpunk/hacker stories?

Started by JoFox2108, 19 September, 2017, 04:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoFox2108

I would love to see some cyberpunk type stores in 2000ad along similar lines to 'Johnny Mnemonic' and 'Ready Player One'.  I think it could be fertile story-making ground because you've got the underdog hacker thing, the megacity one type grungy future and whatever pure fantasy you want for the university inside big databases, net sites and while using intrusion software.  It could even be a near future story where corporations buy up, say, all scientific data and horde it only for themselves making and underclass of people without knowledge.  There would then be great need for  a people's hacker hero and huge incentive for big business to try to crush him or her.
Just an idea - use freely if it's any good.

Anyone else got any genres or storylines they'd love to see?

Jo
QuoteIt's all a deep end.

Professor Bear

I do recall Wireheads as being a high point, but generally I would think pages and pages of talking about the high stakes of code on a screen isn't quite as exciting as seeing giant robots or cloned dinosaurs do stuff.

Pyroxian

TordelBack

R.A.M. Raiders is surely the type fossil for 2000AD hacker stories, and explains why they are largely extinct around here.  Going back a bit further, Milligan and Elson's Shadows would probably fit into the cyberpunk genre too. Plus it was brill.

JoFox2108

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 September, 2017, 04:17:45 PM
I do recall Wireheads as being a high point, but generally I would think pages and pages of talking about the high stakes of code on a screen isn't quite as exciting as seeing giant robots or cloned dinosaurs do stuff.

I kind of envisaged it as pure action adventure for the hero to break into and link up to the systems he/she needs to get to ( kind of Terminator Salvation crossed with Mission Impossible but with perhaps more of a cynical noir character who's forced into it.  And then, once our hero's on the  inside of the system instead of it being just code make the internal reality of the system like a super horror virtual reality (imagine something similar to the game Portal mixed with ideas from the ancient film Tron but team  written by Stephen King and James Herbert.  Our hero could battle the system in all sorts of scary mind-messing ways which can wipe your brain or take you over.  I think it could be fab.

matty_ae

Hacking through previous 2000ad stories would be cool.
Wiierd still holds great enjoyment for this reason

Bolt-01

"Burt is woken by an alarm in the nerve centre- Someone has stolen Tharg's Rosette of Sirius, and is using it to enter the worlds of 2000 AD and stir stomm up! The act of removal has left Tharg in a coma so it's up to Burt and the plucky droids to track the thief down and sort it out! "

I'd read that.

JoFox2108

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 20 September, 2017, 03:34:40 PM
"Burt is woken by an alarm in the nerve centre- Someone has stolen Tharg's Rosette of Sirius, and is using it to enter the worlds of 2000 AD and stir stomm up! The act of removal has left Tharg in a coma so it's up to Burt and the plucky droids to track the thief down and sort it out! "

I'd read that.

Sounds great!

Taryn Tailz

O Lucky Stevie!

Errr... wasn't cyberpunk actually a developmental phase that hard SF went through back in the 1980s?  ;)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

It was, but like many developmental phases on artist spawned a persistent subgenre (see also: utopian fiction, gothic romance, magical realism, satirical fantasy etc).

TordelBack