Main Menu

Dredd compared to The Punisher on Netflix

Started by Tarantino, 09 January, 2018, 03:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarantino

Ive just been watching The Punisher on Netflix and I think that this character compares a lot with Dredd. For example:

1) He's deadpan and emotionless.
2) He wants justice.
3) He's brutal in dispatching justice.
4) He's remorseless
5) He's single minded
6) As a character he's humourless.
7) He kills without hesitating.
8) He avoids relationships

Now I found the way the current actor playing The Punisher was similar to the way that Karl Urban played Dredd, although the way they differ is that there is a slight madness to The Punisher character that is not there in Dredd.

The point I an trying to make is that when I watch a film or a box set I like to identify or relate to either the lead character or someone in the show, but I can't seem to do that with the Punisher. I loved the comic and was looking forward to the Netflix depiction, which, because of the way the Character is so one-dimensional, I am finding really boring. he's brooding, doesn't say much and doesn't let you get inside his head.

Now I really loved the Dredd film but by comparing these two characters I am worried that a Dredd series could become boring very quickly if the lead character (Dredd) follows the above 7 characteristics, without developing, growing, showing vulnerabilities or developing relationships which can be exploited.

In my opinion a character that follows the 7 characteristics mentioned cannot be loved by the public. Now a character like Dredd is not meant to be loved like a partner, friend or parent but he can be loved as a character, if you make him vulnerable and open him up. Also, I think Dredd needs more dialogue than he had in the film or has in the comic if he is to have any longevity. The Punisher has very little dialogue in the show and this is making him a very boring character.

In short, what worked in the short film and still works in the comic won't work in a TV series, if you want the general public to get on board that is.

Tarantino

Bolt-01

It's a good job the show is not just about Dredd, then.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 09 January, 2018, 03:13:07 PM
It's a good job the show is not just about Dredd, then.

This. The whole point of making "Mega City One" the main title of the show is to push Dredd into the background. He's there, he's important, and sometimes he'll take centre stage but (to my very limited understanding) the idea is that he'll rarely be the primary focus.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

You do also wonder whether that might tempt Urban back into the helmet. Having him there for a 13-episode run seems a big ask. But the odd cameo?

edgeworthy

You seemed to have missed the one big difference between the characters.

One is a vigilante and the other ... do I have to say it!!!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: edgeworthy on 09 January, 2018, 11:03:54 PM

In audience terms this is the fundamental difference between the two.

Vigilantes are a staple of US culture: Batman and almost all superheroes and cowboys; Death Wish, Falling Down, Gran Torino, The Equaliser, Man on Fire, John Wick, to a certain degree Dirty Harry – and Liam Neeson.

US audiences especially have liked the heavy-handed lone crusader fighting socety's perceived ills but not always the man of authority wearing the badge and waving the big stick.

CalHab

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 09 January, 2018, 11:33:35 PM

Vigilantes are a staple of US culture: Batman and almost all superheroes and cowboys; Death Wish, Falling Down, Gran Torino, The Equaliser, Man on Fire, John Wick, to a certain degree Dirty Harry – and Liam Neeson.

US audiences especially have liked the heavy-handed lone crusader fighting socety's perceived ills but not always the man of authority wearing the badge and waving the big stick.

I think that could be overstated. American audiences do have an affinity for "maverick" types, but authority figures can also be popular characters. Dredd (the character) is not dissimilar to the sheriff in a Western, for example.

edgeworthy

Quote from: CalHab on 10 January, 2018, 01:46:49 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 09 January, 2018, 11:33:35 PM

I think that could be overstated. American audiences do have an affinity for "maverick" types, but authority figures can also be popular characters. Dredd (the character) is not dissimilar to the sheriff in a Western, for example.
And its not as if Dredd has not stood up to those in overall power.
He led the revolt against Judge Cal. He defied the Council of 5 over the Judge Child. He has resigned in protest and forced a Chief Judge to step down. It was virtually him versus the entire department over the Mutant issue.
In many ways he's the authority figure as they should be. More of a John Wayne than a Dark Knight?

Tjm86

Quote from: CalHab on 10 January, 2018, 01:46:49 PM
Dredd (the character) is not dissimilar to the sheriff in a Western, for example.

Not sure I'd agree with that. Notwithstanding the origins of the character, Dredd is part of a large judicial system that has complete control.  He effectively is the system.  Sheriff's of the Western era were very often isolated individuals, often solely reliant on their own skills and resources.

Richard

He's often on his own though. And when he's in the Cursed Earth the analogy is even more apt.

Tjm86