Main Menu

Concluding Caballistics, Inc.

Started by norton canes, 29 January, 2018, 11:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

So I've just finished reading the digitally downloaded complete Caballistics, Inc. and damn, if it isn't one of the best stories that ever graced the prog.

I've excavated some old threads on the strip and while many people are understandably disappointed that it finished somewhat abruptly, there are a lot of comments to the effect that it had no proper conclusion at all. This clearly isn't the case as the final arc features a climactic showdown between Ethan Kostabi and his employees, while many loose ends are tied up (or unraveled...) in prog 2008's 'Nativity'. Why do some people think this constitutes a premature ending? Might it perhaps be that they've only read the incomplete TPBs and don't realise there was more?

Having said that... there's one thing I need to know before I get complete closure. We see Ravne and Jenny in an early episode of Absalom but have there been any subsequent appearances from Hannah Chapter and Lawrence Verse? Yes, I know, a shattered pelvis and (according to Kostabi, at least) a brain hemorrhage did not bode well for their prospects but y'know to be honest, I'd rather we'd seen their charred corpses than have their fate completely overlooked. Has there been so much as a hint..?

AlexF

Fully agree that Nativity provides a satisfying conclusion to the longer Cabs, Inc arc, and also agree that it would be neat to see more from Chapter & Verse. I don't remember them turning up in Absalom or anywhere else, but I guess they might yet?

I get the impression that Mr. Rennie likes to have a story in mind before bringing back old characters, rather than simply chucking them in, so here's hoping inspiration strikes!

The Adventurer

The last big event of the series was that undead guy rising out of the desert and heading toward our cast. I'm pretty sure that constitutes as incomplete.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

norton canes

Oh yeah, but I saw that more as a throwaway, Flash Gordon-esque cliffhanger than an introduction to a major new arc.   

The Adventurer

Justify it how you want, it's still a story untold.

Taryn Tailz

Wasn't the bigger issue that the conclusion to Caballistics Inc has, thus far, gone uncollected? There were two trade paperbacks of the strips, but not enough to publish the ending in another volume.
Perhaps that shall be rectified in the Ultimate Collection at some point.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 29 January, 2018, 05:55:18 PM
Wasn't the bigger issue that the conclusion to Caballistics Inc has, thus far, gone uncollected? There were two trade paperbacks of the strips, but not enough to publish the ending in another volume.
Perhaps that shall be rectified in the Ultimate Collection at some point.

Not in print, Rebellion did release a complete Cabs volume digitally collecting it all. It'd probably be a good idea to put the rest in a Meg floppy for print readers at some point.

TordelBack

Reading this it occurs to me that one of the things I'm missing in the current prog line-up is a Rennie strip. I know there's no point trying to persuade/beg him to do more Cabs Inc, but now Absalom looks to be building to a finale, maybe another spin-off might be a possibility...?

The Adventurer

I mean, I'm sure we'll see more Jaegir in the future, more Hunted, Absalom's probably got two more runs in the tank at minimum, and Aquilla doesn't feel done yet. I'm sure we'll see some Rennie action this year. But yes, I'd be down for another strip set in the Cabs/Absalom universe too.

DrJomster

I hadn't noticed the extra material in the Cabs Complete book until this thread! Might just have to pick up a copy. Thanks, good people, for pointing this out!

I would totally love it if Cabs came back for more. Lordy me, yes! Jaegir and Hunted too of course. #PraiseBeToTharg
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Adventurer on 29 January, 2018, 05:40:13 PM
Justify it how you want, it's still a story untold.

I can hear the clattering of Rory McConville's keyboard even now... :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.