Main Menu

The Last Jedi - Forum Opinion

Started by Link Prime, 29 January, 2018, 04:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 31 January, 2018, 04:05:47 AM
Many won't like his terminology, but from what I gather, he doesn't hate comics or diversity, he hates comics that he considers to be poorly written that don't sell and that he argues have resulted in comic stores closing down. His daughter is Muslim so I doubt he hates diversity.

"SJW Marvel Destroying Comic Book Stores" - oh drokk off (not you Surfer!). He's one step away from calling everyone cucks [Edit: No I see he already does that. Woo.] This is one of the creeps who thought there was anything to object to in this picture of Marvel Employees: https://twitter.com/HeatherAntos/status/891004244089810945/photo/1

Anyway. Back to Last Jedi and a bunch of social justice warriors called the Rebellion/Resistance.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 31 January, 2018, 05:25:26 PM

As others have said - that isn't an option presented to me, so I refer you to the second part of my sentence (...is it something you have to have special clearance to be able to use...)

No polls for proles! ;-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steven Denton

Quote from: SIP on 31 January, 2018, 04:15:15 PM

I hear ya.......it's times like this I think " what would luke Skywalker do?"......then I run away and hide.

He would MILK THE QUADBOOB SEAL!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Steven Denton on 09 February, 2018, 03:29:28 PM
Quote from: SIP on 31 January, 2018, 04:15:15 PM

I hear ya.......it's times like this I think " what would luke Skywalker do?"......then I run away and hide.

He would MILK THE QUADBOOB SEAL!

It just goes to show how as a society we've progressed. I remember the time you would say 'quadboob seal' and folk would look at you funny.

Link Prime

Totally forgot about this poll, so just popped the tally into Excel there.

Forum opinion is quite mixed, but swaying towards the positive end of the spectrum.
46% of us 'liked it' (4/5 & 5/5 scores), but 42% of us 'didn't like it' (1/5 & 2/5 scores).

Overview;
5/5; 15%
4/5; 31%
3/5; 12%
2/5; 19%
1/5; 23%

I gave it a 1/5 myself, still consider it a miserable and condescending bore-fest that has genuinely killed all interest in Star Wars for me personally.

Anyway, interesting result, but will those dissatisfied customers turn up for Solo and Episode IX despite how they feel about TLJ?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 February, 2018, 02:12:43 PM
Anyway, interesting result, but will those dissatisfied customers turn up for Solo and Episode IX despite how they feel about TLJ?

I'm certainly prepared to give Solo a go — post-Rogue One, I find I'm far more interested in SW universe off-shoots than the main narrative thrust which seems to have fallen victim to JJ Abrams' trademark "Trust me, I know where all this is going" promise when it's abundantly clear he has no clue where any of it is going.

(Yes, yes, I know Lucas' claims to have had a grand plan going into IV don't hold up to the slightest scrutiny, but he seems to be better at winging it than Abrams...)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 30 January, 2018, 10:29:15 AMI always think back to the whole Mass Effect 3 thing whenever something like this happens (and it now happens constantly). That feels like a bit of a watershed moment now and I think Bioware handled it the wrong way and set a very poor precedent. It conditioned people to think that their rage had an impact so was justified.

Given how developers usually take note of fanboy wangst in their decisions*, the increasingly larger sizes of day one patches, and the suspiciously short development time for the "alternate" ending of ME3, I would suggest the version of events we've been offered may not be the entire story.
Mass Effect 3 was in development for how long?  And cost how much?  And not one person in the development or playtesting team had notes on the ending until after the game was on shelves?

* Infinite Warfare came out years after ME3 and - in what is unquestionably a good decision made by Activision - utterly ignored the entitled whiny man-crybabies that took to the internet to loudly shit their nappies.  Given the financial failure of the game, I would double down on the Fuck You and use the surviving character from the IF campaign as the star of her own series and market it towards women, complete with sparkly pink gun skins or daft stuff like that which women wouldn't actually care about but - just by existing - would enrage the assholes who tanked the first game.

JamesC

My excitement for Star Wars has worn off a bit but I'll happily give new stuff a go if I like the look of it.
I think we'll get to the point pretty soon where a new film doesn't feel like an event. It's already like that with the Marvel films and TV stuff for me. I'll end up watching most of it at some point but it's really got to grab my interest to get my arse in the cinema.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JamesC on 26 February, 2018, 03:05:52 PM
I think we'll get to the point pretty soon where a new film doesn't feel like an event...

Jez surely we're at that point already? A film a year does rather seem to be other eggin' the puddin' to me?

Anyway very interesting results and thanks for doing this Link Prime. I think its most interesting that the lowest score is the 'Meh' - 3 - if nothing else folks have an opinion about this and that's gotta be a good thing ... oh yeah right its only a good think if you love it like me isn't it!

JamesC

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 February, 2018, 06:34:47 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 26 February, 2018, 03:05:52 PM
I think we'll get to the point pretty soon where a new film doesn't feel like an event...

Jez surely we're at that point already? A film a year does rather seem to be other eggin' the puddin' to me?

We still seem to be getting prime time news coverage when they release though. They get about as much main stream buzz as a new Bond film gets. Seems more than you get for most 'blockbusters' to me, which is why I thought they were still seen as 'event' releases. People at work always ask about the new Star Wars films too - have I seen them, what did I think etc. I don't get that with most films.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 February, 2018, 02:32:44 PM
I'm certainly prepared to give Solo a go — post-Rogue One, I find I'm far more interested in SW universe off-shoots than the main narrative thrust which seems to have fallen victim to JJ Abrams' trademark "Trust me, I know where all this is going" promise when it's abundantly clear he has no clue where any of it is going.

(Yes, yes, I know Lucas' claims to have had a grand plan going into IV don't hold up to the slightest scrutiny, but he seems to be better at winging it than Abrams...)

There's evidence that Lucas had some sort of plan before ANH was released, but it obviously was subject to change (sibling kisses, et al).  Abrams just put things in that he thought looked call - ooh, mystery - without even the slightest clue where they'd go.  It wouldn't matter so much if the mysteries were original (even without a pre-planned solution), but they were pretty hackneyed and ho-hum.

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 26 February, 2018, 08:58:12 PMIt wouldn't matter so much if the mysteries were original (even without a pre-planned solution), but they were pretty hackneyed and ho-hum.

I thought the mysteries themselves were engaging (and that is Abram's great strength as a writer), the problem was the impossibility of delivering satisfying solutions within the established SW world.  The 'Rey's Family' mystery was pretty cool: Are her powers connected to Jedi Lineage?  Why did they leave her with Plutt of all people? Why haven't they come back for her?  Unfortunately there could be no good answer: Skywalker, Organa-Solo, Palpatine, Kenobi: all the front-running solutions were pretty naff, as two years of argument demonstrated. The alternative, "I'm no-one", was by far the better answer, but didn't seem to justify the setup.

It can be argued (to Abram's partial credit) that the answer was set out fairly clearly in TFA, where Maz explains that all this is irrelevant: her real family lies in the future, not the past - but this passed many of us by completely.

SIP

So, effectively half us didn't like it, half of us did.

Would be interesting to see what the results would be for the OT and PT films. I suspect we would see similar figures for the prequels.....a better response for the original trilogy.

Browsing through certain areas of the Internet today and the general level of fan hate for this doesn't appear to have let up yet does it? I'll avoid for another.month or two I think......

Now, when is that blu ray released..........I'm curious to see if it sells exactly the same as force awakens.

Professor Bear

As long as there are family members who haven't a single clue what to buy their sci-fi loving brothers/dads/sons for birthdays/Chrimbo/anniversaries, etc, the highest-profile sci-fi item in Tesco will fly off the shelves regardless of the opinion of its buyer or intended recipient.
I hated the Prequels, but have all three on dvd through no fault of my own, and at one point I had two blu-ray copies of The Force Awakens, despite having no intention to watch it again.

Tiplodocus

I still buy, like and rewatch "the bad ones (and you have your own definition of that) because... lightsaber... John Williams music... gorgeous designs... spaceships... etc. Just some, I don't research as much as others.

Of course I feel that since the Internet and RedLettetMedia, people don't feel "not liking as much" is strong enough and has to be expressed as "hate, "totally sucks, "destroyed my childhood". But I bet 50% of the "haters" still buy.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!