Main Menu

Dredd: Helter Skelter REDUX

Started by matty_ae, 31 January, 2018, 05:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

Hi guys

I know 2000AD has never really had an all Universes cross-over and Helter Skelter had a difficult production process as Ezquerra's house was falling down.

So I'd like a new expanded edition with new pages seamlessly bridging as many 2000AD worlds and stories as possible. Garth has always expressed a love of the character so might write some more pages.

The Adventurer

I'm good with the occasional Tharg the Mighty one-page party page.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Leigh S

Helter Skelter was for me the biggest fumble Ennis ever did (and I quite like some of his Dredds to put that into context.

It has his worst excesses of hero worshipping Dredd  - "he is OK, and even if he does shoot you for littering and oppress you, he doesnt get paid or even thanked for it"

Worse than that, it turns into a "Lawmaster tour of North Mega-City" - the motivation of the villains makes no sense! "Dredd was a minor irritation in our dimension, but we hate him so much!"

If they ahd thought through the consequences of Dredd dying at the hands of Judge Cal, you could ahve had a very interesting story - Dredd isnt around, and things snowball from there - Cal and Kazan are trying to abandon their universe to Dredds due to Judge Death gaining a foothold - Dredd has to go to the alternate universe, where we see how much worse things would ahve been without Dredd (and maybe make that point Ennis is making without having to actually say it) 

matty_ae

Leigh - you should write the extra pages. Love your thinking.

(After posting this Suggestion I went back to the strip and saw how much I liked Henry Flint on this. So I don't want his stuff replaced- All the best Dredd epics straddle two artists)

Woolly

Torn on this.

On the one hand, it is shit.

On the other hand, reinforcing the idea that a Judge's purpose is to protect citizens of Mega-City One, no matter the cost, is a good lead for the strip to take in general. The methods of protection that Justice Dept currently use could then become a follow on theme. (Not that it did at the time, of course.)

I'd certainly vote for Ezquerra getting a chance to redraw it, at the very least.

Richard

Seems like a pointless exercise to me. I like the story, but I've never read it and thought it needed more pages.

DrRocka

I thought it was really good fun, and not one to be taken seriously. Then again, I generally enjoy just about all of Carlos's Dredds, even to the point of Inferno and Frankenstein Division. You just have to, er, turn yer brain off for one or two of 'em....

(I'm aware that I'm the only member of this particular fan club. Our AGM is VERY cheap to cater for).
Never ever bloody anything ever