Main Menu

Pat Mills joins new ComicScene UK magazine line-up

Started by rogue69, 22 February, 2018, 10:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Down the Tube has an article saying that Pat Mills is to write an exclusive regular monthly column for the new magazine Comic Scene UK. His 'Last Word' column is expected to be as colourful, controversial and outspoken as his appearances in the recent 2000AD documentary FutureShock and his book Be Pure| Be Vigilant! Behave! – 2000AD and Judge Dredd: The Secret History.

https://downthetubes.net/?p=42936

CalHab

Sounds like an interesting magazine, but £8.50 an issue is rather steep.

IndigoPrime

It's a niche title, and production, printing and distribution costs money. Even so: 48 pages. I do hope they're at least paying contributors.

Bolt-01

Mail order only as well- Folk will be stumping up the £8.50 without even seeing it.

CalHab

Comics International used to be stacked by the till at my local comic shop, and was an occasional impulse buy from me. I would have thought that would be a logical way to sell it? Of course I know absolutely nothing about the economics or practicalities of putting out a magazine, so there may be good reasons not to go down that road.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 22 February, 2018, 11:23:47 AM
Mail order only as well- Folk will be stumping up the £8.50 without even seeing it.

Yeah this is what put me off getting on board. I miss this type of publication but subbing up front at 8.50 a pop is a bit too much of a risk!

Bolt-01

That's three issues of Zarjaz, or both a Zarjaz and a FutureQuake...

:)

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 22 February, 2018, 12:53:49 PM
That's three issues of Zarjaz, or both a Zarjaz and a FutureQuake...

:)
Pimp my thread.  ;)

But seriously, sounds lovely, but at that price, by mail order only (busy having an early 2000's flashback here) it's a no from me sadly.

Bad City Blue

That's really steep for such a page count.

I may give it a try as I'm a comics buff (not just 2000AD) but it'd better be brilliant to make me carry on
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

TordelBack

If you were only in it for the Mills Bombs, it doesn't really help to compare the price of Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Be Etc!  (268 pages for STG£9.99) with the price of this magazine (48 pages [Mills percentage unknown] for STG £8.50).  I know we're talking about different media in different markets, but that'd want to to be some pretty ace content for that price (£1 for every 6 pages)  The FQP comparison is a good one.

JOE SOAP

John Wagner is also contributing.

He is the first creator to contribute to a regular column on how writers and artists developed their comic characters.  John will be giving the background to how his new character 'Rok of the Reds' was developed by him, writing partner Alan Grant and Dan Cornwell.  The graphic novel of 'Rok of the Reds' is due out in April from BHP publishing.

https://comicsflix.org/2018/02/23/judge-dredd-co-creator-john-wagner-writes-for-comicscene-uk-issue-one/

Woolly

And, within a single post, this went from 'possibly purchase' to 'almost definately purchase'!

Bolt-01

Fingers crossed, by the time this gets to print ready there will be enough of a 'buzz' to make the first issue a decent option.

The hard part will be the second issue and on from there, but if they don't give it a go we'll never know.

Dandontdare

Not to mention £2 (or£2.50 depending where you look) postage per issue - looks like issue 1 is the only one you can buy as a standalone, so I reckon I'll give it a go before deciding on a sub.

Does anyone know anything about another title on their webpage called "the AKA tapes"? - seems to be a collection of interviews with Thargs(s) and droids

Leigh S

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 February, 2018, 06:48:51 PM
Not to mention £2 (or£2.50 depending where you look) postage per issue - looks like issue 1 is the only one you can buy as a standalone, so I reckon I'll give it a go before deciding on a sub.

Does anyone know anything about another title on their webpage called "the AKA tapes"? - seems to be a collection of interviews with Thargs(s) and droids

It is a reproduction of an old fanzine from 1983 - I'm getting a copy as this one eluded me in my old quest to get any fanzines featuring 2000AD content when I had a bit of a phase of it back in the late 90s to mid 2000s and kids!  Should be interesting, if only for talking about Zarjaz (not Bolt's iteration!) when ti was still in the planning stage