Main Menu

Texas City

Started by The Sherman Kid, 16 March, 2018, 11:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

Could we please have a direct or indirect Dredd world story set in Texas City?

Every since seeing the fantastic Texas city panorama shown in the Judge Child Quest, I have wanted to see much more. The only direct story since then I can recall was Dredd collecting 'bounties' in Texas City in the Megazine, way back.

Since we have the Michael Carroll 'Every Empire Falls' storyline in place, (with a Mega City Judge currently in place as their new Chief Judge) now would be an ideal time to go back and explore that 'world'.

Many thanks

I, Cosh

er...you mean apart from the 8 part story Deep in the Heart which ran from Prog 2012 - 2019?
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 March, 2018, 12:08:53 PM
er...you mean apart from the 8 part story Deep in the Heart which ran from Prog 2012 - 2019?

Maybe that's being included as a follow-up to Every Empire Falls?

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 March, 2018, 12:08:53 PM

Besides just following on from another story, being set largely in the Cursed Earth/an oil rig/ up in the air and not really exploring Texas City at all, physically or societally, a completely valid point. The prosecution rests.

It surprises me this city hasn't been used much more -LOTS of potential imho.

A.Cow

I was recently surprised to notice that Texas City is first mentioned in Prog 17, in the finale of the Robot Wars.  Had always presumed that it was introduced around the time Dredd went to Luna-1 (about six months later).

The Enigmatic Dr X

Yeah? At least it's been mentioned. What about Vegas? Last seen under new management in the Cursed Earth.
Lock up your spoons!

Tjm86

then destroyed in the last episode of Judge Death: The Wilderness Years (Meg 209-216).

Michael Knight

Id love to see more of Texas City and the other Mega cities around Dredds world.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Tjm86 on 26 March, 2018, 08:41:09 AM
then destroyed in the last episode of Judge Death: The Wilderness Years (Meg 209-216).

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. I'll hand in my geek card on the way out.
Lock up your spoons!

Tjm86

To be fair, it was a particularly well titled Story.  Frazer Irving's artwork is probably the only redeeming feature in a strip that contributed to Judge Death being reduced to a complete joke.

Greg M.

Quote from: Tjm86 on 28 March, 2018, 07:10:19 AM
Frazer Irving's artwork is probably the only redeeming feature in a strip that contributed to Judge Death being reduced to a complete joke.

Judge Death had been reduced to a comedy character in stories prior to this - this story and its Irving-drawn predecessor, My Name is Death, were the ones that attempted to rehabilitate the character. I'm not sure how successful they were, but I'd definitely disagree that they made Death any more comical - quite the opposite.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Michael Knight on 27 March, 2018, 12:36:28 AM
Id love to see more of Texas City and the other Mega cities around Dredds world.

It should probably be mentioned (neatly proving that thing about pleasing all of the people, all of the time) that "too many world Judge stories" has been a frequent complaint about the Megazine for much of its history...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: Greg M. on 28 March, 2018, 07:36:51 AM
Frazer Irving's artwork is probably the only redeeming feature in a strip that contributed to Judge Death being reduced to a complete joke.

Judge Death had been reduced to a comedy character in stories prior to this - this story and its Irving-drawn predecessor, My Name is Death, were the ones that attempted to rehabilitate the character. I'm not sure how successful they were, but I'd definitely disagree that they made Death any more comical - quite the opposite.

It was Boyhood of a Superfiend which did that.  Great art, good story, but did nothing for the character (though we did get to see pre-DJ deadworld).

Proudhuff

To be fair, it was a particularly well titled Story.  Frazer Irving's artwork is probably the only redeeming feature in a strip that contributed to Judge Death being reduced to a complete joke.

Personally I thought the Judge D'erth on a tricycle a la Tom Waits was genius and The Fab Fours only redeeming story so far  :thumbsup: 
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Initial Wagner/Irving Death: Oh my. That's a bit... grim.
Follow-up: Ah. Oh dear.