Main Menu

Prog 2078: Agent of Destruction!

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 April, 2018, 04:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Bloomin' heck, bloomin' Carlos hey, phonin' in those wonderful, powerful covers, its just not like the old... oh...

...hold on...

...that's pretty damned good isn't it!

The rest of Prog ain't bad either. Well Anderson dropped me again, this one really will need a re-read (if anyone is interested in when that might actually be please refer to the New Comicbook Day Megathread.

The Dredd story moves the whole Son's of Booth storyline along nicely and finishes the corrent tale well. I'm looking forward to the next part of this series of stories.

Jaegir finishes her latest story effectively enough. Where as Sinister Dexter finishes its current story with a horrific brutality whipped into shape with lashing of humour.

Strontium Dog see Fenton take on a little bit more of the Wulf mantal with a weaponry pick up as this story continues to get better and better and I can't wait to see what happens next week.

All in all a pretty fine Prog behind a cracking cover.

Tjm86

Mr Ezquerra's artwork on Stront has always been something special, hasn't it?  Recently going through some of the Starlord work, it does stand as a strong contrast to stuff of recent years but it has always been a wonder to behold for me.

I think there are two challenges in Anderson for me; following who is actually 'speaking' at any point in the story and following the rapid jumps in the narrative.  The PSI threat subplot doesn't seem to have been built up enough to cope with the main plot which makes it seem a little disjointed and push for a re-read to remind myself of what is going on there.

For me Dredd suffered from a similar 'flaw' (sorry).  The revelation about SOB seemed plucked out of mid air (although I may have missed it in one of the earlier episodes).  The reporter that they gulled could have done with being pulled in as well.  Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, I don't know.

Other than that though, I'm with Colin on the rest of the prog.

Fungus

broodblik

Really like the cover. Carlos is a real master
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

A bit of a mixed bag this week.

Top thrills are Jaegir and Strontium Dog. Bit of a shame Jaegir is taking a break.

As an individual episode Sinister Dexter was only ok, but it does raise an interesting question for future stories.

I have now completely lost what is going on in Anderson and will re-read it when it is complete.

Bringing up the rear, sad to say is Dredd. This current story did nothing for me and I'm glad it is over. The reveal at the end isn't much of a reveal really and I won't be waiting with bated breath for this plot line to return.

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 April, 2018, 11:29:05 PM
A bit of a mixed bag this week.

Top thrills are Jaegir and Strontium Dog. Bit of a shame Jaegir is taking a break.

As an individual episode Sinister Dexter was only ok, but it does raise an interesting question for future stories.

I have now completely lost what is going on in Anderson and will re-read it when it is complete.

Bringing up the rear, sad to say is Dredd. This current story did nothing for me and I'm glad it is over. The reveal at the end isn't much of a reveal really and I won't be waiting with bated breath for this plot line to return.

I agree except for Dredd.  I do not mind the return of the SOB
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

The prog powers on, with absolutely no complaints from me about four fifths of the stories. Dredd completes one of those little tales that you just know will resonate for the next year or so and eventually lead to something mahoosive- though it seems odd for something as potentially explosive as the living relative of Bad Bob Booth being introduced in a strip written by someone other than JW. Maybe Tharg is gently seeding the ground for when the big man finally decides to take the Long Walk from scripting. If so, I hope it's a premature act, because I want to be reading Wagner Dredds for years to come.

Jaegir told a visceral, fast-paced tale that seemed to be over too quickly- which is infinitely preferably to one dragging on forever (more of which in a bit), and went a long way to cementing this as a worthy (perhaps, shhh, superior) follow-up to Rogue Trooper, after decades of rubbish faffing around in that corner of toothiverse. As always, Simon Coleby and Len O'Grady worked together better than any prog art team since Andy Clarke and Dylan Teague, in my book.

I absolutely bloody love Sinister Dexter, so more is always a joy. The current run has even made me re-evaluate the work of Mr Yeowell, whose work I've not been particularly enamored with these last few decades since Zenith finished. I want SiniDex in the prog, on a weekly basis, til the end of time.

Strontium Dog was just blissful. I have nothing else to say, except I will reread this often, and buy it in oversized hardback should such a thing ever become available.

The only downer for me is Anderson- in which I am completely lost. I can't tell who is speaking, I can't remember who anyone is, or why they are where they are doing whatever they are doing. After rereading the first four episodes in an attempt to get on top of it, I did think perhaps it was an art problem- there were quite a few panels in which the composition or colouring seemed to actively work against the story being told, and once I'd figured that out I was better inclined towards the strip as a whole. Now though, with the change of artists, it has gotten completely incomprehensible. And I know there's nothing wrong with Collins and Robinson's storytelling nous. I can only lay the blame at the door of the writer and Tharg. It looks pretty- even more so these last couple of weeks, but doesn't seem to make any immediate sense. This is what I was referring to earlier about things dragging on. Too much to hope for a speedy rounding-up and for the next one by Emma Beeby to be a little more... straightforward?

Letters page always a treat- especially so as it features a Squaxx more senior even than most of us here, which gave me a huge grin and caused me to mutter "fair play to you sir" under my breath. It may be twenty years away, but I hope the prog is still around and printed on paper in weekly installments, when I'm seventy.

Astonishing cover by Carlos, too. Has he ever done anything dodgy? Man's an utter genius.

SBT

IndigoPrime

Anderson reminds me a bit of those 1990s tales in the Magazine, where you got the impression the writer had everything sorted in their heads, but it didn't quite make it to the page. I've felt something's off about this one as well, which is a pity since I've been a fan of Beeby's 2000 AD output to date. Perhaps a re-read when the entire series is done will do the job.

Sin/Dex has been the surprise for me of late. I'm not a big fan of the strip. For me, it's like wallpaper. But the factory reset has for once done interesting things, and I'm intrigued to see where everyone takes it.

Link Prime

Top dog over by the Ezquerra Droid.

Ya still got it old man- in spades.

Proudhuff

Highly enjoyed SOB storyline and Jaegir all over too soon, SD great fun, Sin/Dex a step up from previous, just not getting Anderson...
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Frank

I remember the days when Carlos got in trouble for his depictions of female anatomy.

broodblik

Quote from: Frank on 25 April, 2018, 09:23:25 PM
I remember the days when Carlos got in trouble for his depictions of female anatomy.

Those were the days when we had imagination but unfortunately it has been replaced with cellphones.