Main Menu

Prog 2093 - Infernal Engines

Started by Richard, 04 August, 2018, 01:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Judge Dredd: A Better Class of Criminal continues, not much more to say about this than what has been said already, but it's still just as good, and it bears repeating that the more Leo Manco we see from now on the better. Probably ending next week.

The Order makes a bold move which will certainly divide opinion! Just keep in mind that 2000AD is supposed to divide opinion and that will help you maintain a sense of proportion!

There's a new 3riller, Appetite by James Peaty and Andre Mutti which gets off to a good start. I wonder what's going on there then?

Mechastopheles is on the cover this week. Not sure what I think of this series yet, but I'll see how it develops. The art looks good though.

Grey Area: 86 is another good one-off episode. I never really warmed to this series until recently, but I've enjoyed this latest run.

There's an awful/brilliant* pun in the letters page.

*Delete as applicable.

Colin YNWA

Whatever you do don't flick through the Prog when it lands as I just did. You run the risk of giving yourself a MASSIVE spoiler ... one I wish I hadn't seen!

moly

Enjoyed this weeks prog but stand out has to be the order

Woolly

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 August, 2018, 01:53:12 PM
Whatever you do don't flick through the Prog when it lands as I just did. You run the risk of giving yourself a MASSIVE spoiler ... one I wish I hadn't seen!

:o
Yep, you REALLY REALLY don't want to flick through this weeks prog.
But man am i pumped by that reveal! 'Kin YES!!

Bolt-01

Hmm, while an interesting turn of events, I'd have preferred that the series stayed seperate. The order is getting ever closer to Indigo Prime and seeing as both series now share a writer- that's not good.

Frank

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 04 August, 2018, 05:26:35 PM
Hmm, while an interesting turn of events, I'd have preferred that the series stayed seperate. The order is getting ever closer to Indigo Prime and seeing as both series now share a writer- that's not good.

Any other recent instances of crossovers between series?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Bolt-01

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 04 August, 2018, 06:13:46 PM

[spoiler]Indigo Prime & Revere spring to mind... [/spoiler]

Frank

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 04 August, 2018, 06:54:58 PM

Sensing a pattern.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 04 August, 2018, 06:54:58 PM

Hmmm, I said "Any other recent instances of crossovers between series?", AFTER reading your post regarding said crossover, hence the "Any other" part of my post.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Colin YNWA

Okay its a good Prog, verging on the very good Dredd, pretty good, and leaves a few interesting questions to be moped up. Very engaging start to the 3riller but as I and others have said its how you sustain that's the trick, lovely art mind. Mechastopheles needs to add some reason to care beyond the cool battling demonic monsters, but I did enjoy this episode. Grey Area was superb and played with the characters and their reaction to recent events really well. Oh but there was some dodgy storytelling artwise.

Okay got all that good.

'Cos lets face it all that is kinda preamble to what we'll all be talking about this week and that of course is The Order. Now off the bat I really enjoyed the episode it was a great combination of action and development and then the ending...

... the ending.

Now on paper that was a good, exciting ending that I should be enjoying more than I am. The problem is much as I like the potential this offers, and [spoiler]Armoured Gideon [/spoiler] feels like he could have a great roll to play in this story and its appearance could be a very interesting turn ... the problem is we've been here before haven't we and what did we learn from that, well two things:

1. It doesn't matter how much [spoiler]injecting a character into a different story[/spoiler] might feel exciting, its only going to work if it makes sense in a story context. Last time this happened it really should have. It had every reason to work ... but simply was never developed and so became nothing more than a cheap gimmick. Reducing 2000ad to the level of so many other comics produced by other companies. For 2000ad that is in excusible.

Interesting it didn't make the story this happened in a bad story. In fact far from it. It was still a very good story. It was just a good story reduced somewhat by having a cheap gimmick in it... though when it returns this might be resolved.

2. Its been done before and the very fact that so soon after the previous time is very worrying. Do anything too much and it stops being special and fun and this kind of thing needs to feel special, or fun or, 2000ad goes down a road - it reduces 2000ad to the level of so many other comics produced by other companies. For 2000ad that is in excusible.

So while I remain open to this development this time, I do so with a bunch more cynism than I did last time. Lets see how it plays out ... or indeed if we get to understand the first time this happened in a way that works... if not we need to stamp this sort of stuff out... lets see huh...

Frank

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 August, 2018, 09:25:50 PM
... much as I like the potential this offers, and [spoiler]Armoured Gideon [/spoiler] feels like he could have a great roll to play in this story and its appearance could be a very interesting turn ...

Cheers, Colin. I got the wrong end of the stick from Bolt's comment (above).

Blue Cactus

Interesting it didn't make the story this happened in a bad story. In fact far from it. It was still a very good story. It was just a good story reduced somewhat by having a cheap gimmick in it... though when it returns this might be resolved.

2. Its been done before and the very fact that so soon after the previous time is very worrying. Do anything too much and it stops being special and fun and this kind of thing needs to feel special, or fun or, 2000ad goes down a road - it reduces 2000ad to the level of so many other comics produced by other companies. For 2000ad that is in excusible.

So while I remain open to this development this time, I do so with a bunch more cynism than I did last time. Lets see how it plays out ... or indeed if we get to understand the first time this happened in a way that works... if not we need to stamp this sort of stuff out... lets see huh...

This is exactly how I feel too. 'Here's a thing you recognise from the past!' is a hollow thrill in itself, it needs to be more than just that. Not dissing what's going on this week though, it all depends how things develop.

Tharg is too wise to go down the road of having all the strips co-exising in a horrible 2000ad multiverse of endless empty crossovers, we hope, though the potential to speculate on ridiculous possible team-ups is strong!

Some fabulous art this week as always, though a few bits of Harrison's pages took me a while to figure out. This was redeemed by that smile on Birdie's face at the end though, what a lovely character moment, conveyed beautifully. Manco and Mutti both fit very nicely in the prog - a touch of Hairsine about the 3riller art, I thought. Love the design on those cyborg gangsters in Dredd. Karl Richardson is consistently great, clear storytelling, nice colours, cool designs. As for John Burns, what a legend. Always love it when he appears in the prog.

Happy that the damage report has moved on from 'Tharg is an England supporter', but maybe that's just me...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Frank on 04 August, 2018, 10:21:42 PM
... much as I like the potential this offers, and [spoiler]Armoured Gideon [/spoiler] feels like he could have a great roll to play in this story and its appearance could be a very interesting turn ...

Cheers, Colin. I got the wrong end of the stick from Bolt's comment (above).

Yeah I saw the outrage on Facebook!