Main Menu

Prog 2096 - Warriors On The Edge

Started by Tjm86, 25 August, 2018, 01:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: I, Cosh on 29 August, 2018, 01:41:05 PM
Weren't those space-whales in the original run of Armoured Gideon? Whether they were called Nommo or not, I can't remember.

Maybe you can track down this vague reference for me. I can't remember where it's from but fairly certain it's early Morrison or Milligan: "Gods are the shadows cast by the Nommo when they passed your world."

The Nommo are also the ancient amphibian gods at the root of turning everyone into newts in Sirius Rising (IIRC), so might the line be from that? 

As to Armoured Gideon having a different head, I've been assuming its because it gets destroyed/changed sometime in the centuries between Clara and Frank Weitz's tenures (or between Frank and Clara's - who knows which way he's travelling?). However, I did always think that sticky-up grate in front of his neck was his lower 'jaw', but it's clearly part of his chest here, which is weird. -Er.

Cyrano de Bergerac in The Order seemed to look like etchings of Cyrano de Bergerac, didn't he?  Or did I miss something?

Short on time, so a few quick comments on this week's outing:

The Order: I don't think Burns is getting enough credit for just how drokked-up his Wyrm-creatures are.  The horses and dogs and Berg's finger continue to freak me out, you think I'd be used to them by now.

Mechastopheles: the first episode of this that has really piqued my interest.  It could be because there's no Giant Demon Robot action, which I've been finding frustrating in a Detonator X way: my problem there seems to be a lack of scale cues in the art  - because you've a big mecha-satan fighting other giant and/or person sized demons against a red sky and desolate hellscape, it may as well just be ordinary sized robo-mayhem.  There's nothing to really sell the scale (even the cities on the back of the Bilbo's Trolls-type monsters a couple of week's back just looked like odd protrusions).  Then we cut to the characters inside, and it may as well be happening somewhere else entirely.  This week, by contrast, we get just a glimpse of the Big Guy, and everything else is human-scale, and its getting rather interesting.  If the strip can manage to visually convince me that the human dramas are happening inside a city-sized demon, I think we might get along better.

Survival Geeks: Googe is back, and all's right with the world.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 August, 2018, 09:02:13 AM
As to Armoured Gideon having a different head, I've been assuming its because it gets destroyed/changed sometime in the centuries between Clara and Frank Weitz's tenures (or between Frank and Clara's - who knows which way he's travelling?). However, I did always think that sticky-up grate in front of his neck was his lower 'jaw', but it's clearly part of his chest here, which is weird. -Er.
Maybe he had his old head repaired before re-enlisting?

M.I.K.

The Wing Whales were definitely also called the Nommo in the Armoured Gideon stories, (and were [spoiler]actually something else as well, but we won't go into that[/spoiler]), and that sticky-up grate thing is definitely part of the jaw on his other head.

broodblik

Quote from: M.I.K. on 31 August, 2018, 10:53:15 PM
The Wing Whales were definitely also called the Nommo in the Armoured Gideon stories, (and were [spoiler]actually something else as well, but we won't go into that[/spoiler]), and that sticky-up grate thing is definitely part of the jaw on his other head.

Maybe they are working towards reviving Armoured Gideon in his own series again.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Blue Cactus

It might be an earlier model of Gideon. This may explain why he has such presumably tiny legs on the cover of the prog.

Tiplodocus

That was all solidly entertaining stuff for me.

Grey Area builds nicely and Survival Geeks had me lolling at "The Final Girls".

I agree that the emphasis on the human elements has improved Mechastophoclese.

And I have slowly but surely been converted to The Order. It could still do with an extra transitional panel or establishing image between scenes and actions to help the story become clear but I am used to taking the extra time now.

Dredd is also good stuff; the only down point being the villains being very much of this time. I prefer it when they aren't such obvious analogues.

But these are minor gripes, I'm really enjoying the Prog and The art is of a ridiculous standard (And all in styles I like).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!