Main Menu

The most prolific or the most influential Dredd artist over time

Started by broodblik, 19 January, 2019, 04:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Who is the most prolific or the most influential Dredd artist over time? and whom is the artist who has the most appearances?

I am sure that most people will without a shadow of doubt state Carlos Ezquerra on both counts. He is surely one of the co-creators along with Wagner of Dredd. 

The first 100 progs were the time of 3 artists whom together draw almost 80% of the initial run of Dredd: Mike McMahon, Ian Gibson and Brain Bolland.  These 3 divided Dredd as a major character in the comic-scene. Each one had their own distinctive style.

Next came Ron Smith which is the artist that really establish Dredd as the de facto British comic character. After the late great Ron came great artist like Steve Dillon and Cam Kennedy. It was only with The Apocalypse War that Carlos really start taking the reins and his style almost become synonym with the way that many of us saw Dredd. 

Colin MacNeil came along and only really establish himself long after his first appearance. For me the next big artist was Henry Flint.  In today's terms it will hard to decide between these two which is the mainstay Dredd artist.

The top 10 most appearance by an artist:

Artists      First Appearance   Total Appearances
Carlos Ezquerra   5         261
Ron Smith   104         151
Henry Flint   1014         119
Colin MacNeil   608         100
Ian Gibson   13         85
Paul Marshall   647         74
Mike McMahon   2         71
Cam Kennedy   342         70
Steve Dillon   205         49
John Burns   738         45

For me it all boils down to two artist Carlos Ezquerra or Ron Smith (again RIP  :'( ). They even occupy the two top-spots in the moist appearance list. 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

moly

How would the list look if you included the daily star strip

broodblik

If I included the daily strip ,the meg and the specials Ron Smith might end up as no 1.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

The thing about Ezquerra is the sheer longevity of his time on the strip. With people moving on to other things, and also far less often drawing Dredd, it's hard to see how that will ever be repeated. (Fling and MacNeil, for example, do still draw the occasional Dredd, but that feels as much like an event than a fairly regular thing.)

broodblik

Ezquerra had longevity on the strip but there was also long periods where he did not draw Dredd (he was mostly doing SD)  but would comeback and do a mega epic. Ron on the other hand would do a lot of once-offs Dredds. In recent years MacNeil has done alot of Dredd compared to his start in the prog (he also looks like the goto guy on a lot of the strips - I do not see this as a negative because he is certainly one off the best to grace the pages of the prog)

Blue Cactus

Interesting to see Paul Marshall in there. I think he's a somewhat underrated droid. I used to be quite indifferent to his stuff as a teenager but I've come round to seeing him as a real great- always reliable, seems to be able to draw anything, consistent, his Dredd is spot on and his worlds always feel solid and believable, however fantastical they might be (Firekind). He's maybe not as distinctive as those at the top of the list, or as influential, but he's just really really good, and has been for decades!

broodblik

I always liked Paul Marshall's art. He has been around since the same time as MacNeil.   

SIP

If we are talking most influential I would say it's a close call between Mick McMahon and Carlos Ezquerra. They pretty much did all there is to do with Dredd's appearance. Carlos concept, evolved by Mick a lot. Wouldn't say the Dredd uniform or character design has evolved since the 80's. McMahon is the king of drawing mega city and the lawmaster for me too.