Main Menu

I wonder if this board could have a different format?

Started by Fifty, 28 January, 2002, 08:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fifty

Is there a good reason that this board has the format that it does?

I reckon that an infopop board would be better, so that the popular threads stay at the top.

Is there some technical reason why this would be bad?

Or would it be more expensive for some obscure reason that I don't understand?

I just find the page layout a bit of a nuisance is all, and it is hard to see where the most recen posts have been.

Also, with the board as it is now, you have to open each response individually rather than just scrolling down.  Surely that creates more page views and therefore takes greater bandwidth and is therefore more expensive?

Mudcrab

I've had similar thoughts, what with all the reloading etc. There is an e-mail option though, which would be much quicker to use. Still to try it though, trying to imagine whether I'd save or lose more time at work through it though. Hmm, work or speaking crap about 2000ad. HA! No contest is it?
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Wake

You can choose to view a whole thread, without haveing to click every message. Just click the Thread xxx at the top of the list of messages.

Messages posted in the past 24 hours have their categorys in bold, which shold help you to locate them.

I could easily list the 10 or 20 most recent posts. However, to list the threads in the order of the most recent post would slow down the loading time (at the moment all the threading effort happens when you post a message).

You can have all messages delivered to your email inbox, but you have to click a link to get to the website to reply to them (otherwise you'll only be replying to the few people using the email option)

Cheers,

Wake

Stu

Infopop would be great, but I suppose you have to pay to license the software or something. Personally, I find Infopop much easier to use.

Maybe if threads with recent post were bumped to the top of the page we wouldn't have a different Shakara thread every week.

paulvonscott

SHAKARA!

Ha, Ha, I'm sorry, but I can't see the word Shakara without smiling now.

You have a point, all the Shakara (SHAKARA!) threads are basically the same arguement continued over various threads.  

I didn't realise until Wake pointed out that you could read the whole thread like that.  It'll save my mouse finger anyway.

At the moment, there may be some older threads I could look up, but it's a bit of a pain, so I don't.

Crackerjack

CRACKERJACK!