Main Menu

Continued thread...3000AD, Potter

Started by Rex Gambill, 08 February, 2002, 08:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

mentailtiy of suspicion.  Sounds good doesn't it?

No seriously, I went for a drive this morning and I realised that we were agreeing.  Sometimes signals into my brain work slower than ones coming out.  Hence all the crap I talk.

What we were both saying is what we wouldn't want such a comic to be.  And of course being so clever we are right.

Now, just off to see what Scojo is shouting about!

Cheers

Paul

Rex Gambill

I'll settle for one of the funky Canadian titles, like "Lord Tweedsmuir."

Rex Gambill

Wasn't there a flashback Dredd showing Joe and Rico at the Academy...back in the 1000s?

Rex Gambill

I think girls would much prefer Judge Hershey kicking some guy's arse!

Rex Gambill

No argument here, but I think because kids aren't automatically drawn to comics these days as they were when 2000AD started, the magazine would benefit from having a recognizable series as its anchor....in much the same way 2000AD launched with Dan Dare as its star attraction.

Rex Gambill

As does the Neil Gaiman and John Bolton character Timothy Hunter, from Vertigo's "Books of Magic."

Rex Gambill

Couldn't have said it better myself, PVS.

Rex Gambill

Rex Gambill

I love these ideas, and would want to read them. What's more, I think my son, who is 4 years old, would be on the edge of his seat wondering what would happen next to Kai or Cadet Dredd.

W. R. Logan

>I love these ideas, and would want to read them. What's more, I think my son, who is 4 years old, would be on the edge of his seat wondering what would happen next to Kai or Cadet Dredd.

The trouble with doing cadet dredd stories is that the normal school or young people stories wouldn't work.

having a late night party, expelled
hiding food in the dorm, expelled
crying, expelled
basically every kind of story where the cadets end up doing some sort of high jinx would end up in expultion. What you's end up with is 15 years worth of Dredd stories but at a younger age. Plus Dredd being such a stickler wouldn't meen that he'd do anything other than study the law.

I'd love to see some cadet Dredd stories but how they would be approached would be the problem.

la Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

paulvonscott

Logan, this isn't a thirties public school, it's the Academy of Law!  

I think there is a story to be told in how a happy, smiling five year old goes in one end of this judicial machine and comes out fifteen years later as the grim baton weilding servant of justice!

I don't think they should choose Dredd, I think they should have another judge cadet, probably female, someone suggested Hershey.  great.

I think it would be great.  I mean what do they do to these kids?  What a dramatic story that would be, some poor kid, no parents, 5 years old sent to be a judge?  Bloody Hell.  

Do they just start on them straight away, or are they in a strange kind of school and slowly brought into it for the first few years?  What sort of friends do they have, what friendships develop.  What's the relationship with the tutors?  I mean the more you think about it, the more you realise you don't know.  We've all just accepted this and not considered what is actually done.

Going on a bit now, but a lot to think about.

Rex Gambill

I guess the Dredd cadet would be the one the other cadets despise because he'd be such a hard-ass.

2000AD Online

Surely, the whole point would be to do something original instead of relying on the cliches you've just mentioned?