Main Menu

Alan Moore thinks you're a prick!

Started by Frank, 11 September, 2013, 09:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Professor Bear

No, that's just the publisher of DC Comics saying that they "publish comics for 45 year-olds" and Scooby-Doo - conclusive proof that there hadn't been any effort to attract new readers would be to examine the comics themselves and see if there'd been any sea change in the way they were produced after the reboot, or if DC had just bunged a #1 on the cover of their books and then had the same people working under the same editors making the same kind of comics they were making before.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Skullmo

Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 September, 2014, 12:45:17 PM
or they could try My Little Pony?

The Garth Ennis reboot where pony is a war vet who keeps having Nam flashbacks and likes to trample people for fun (but also has a strong sense of moral superiority and likes a drink)?
It's a joke. I was joking.

Professor Bear

DC's all-ages Scooby-Doo books are actually quite good, but it only seems to be adults reading them. :q

Their other all-ages title - toy licence He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - is full of impalings and throat-slashings, but in fairness, apart from that it seem to have been left to itself so Keith Giffen can indulge his Jack Kirby fetish and Dan Abnett can do a pretty entertaining pastiche of the Hawk The Slayer and Beastmaster movies.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Skullmo on 18 September, 2014, 12:51:41 PM

The Garth Ennis reboot where pony is a war vet who keeps having Nam flashbacks and likes to trample people for fun (but also has a strong sense of moral superiority and likes a drink)?

I preferred Garth's WWII My Little Pony vet in NY Central Park drawn by Howard Chaykin especially the stables scene  :-[
DDT did a job on me

Skullmo

Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 September, 2014, 02:13:49 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 18 September, 2014, 12:51:41 PM

I preferred Garth's WWII My Little Pony vet in NY Central Park drawn by Howard Chaykin especially the stables scene  :-[

'Poor pony. They cut his friggin' tail off. Only left him an inch to swish with'
It's a joke. I was joking.

Professor Bear

After discovering that Equestria Girls is a real thing and not Deviantart fanfiction/masturbatory fuel for furries, and that the MLP cartoon is an examination of the nature of reality as a gestalt delusion, it's likely that the above scenario has been done in the 'toons or comics already.

(edit for Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated viewers) and will be done again.

Frank

Alan Moore and Mitch Jenkins' Jimmy's End now appears to be called Show Pieces, and will premiere at the Leeds Film Festival, featuring a Q&A with both creators:

http://www.leedsfilm.com/news/alan-moore-attend-liff28/

Frank

From Scroobius Pip on facebook: It's Wednesday, therefore it's Distraction Pieces Podcast day! A rare, rare interview with the legendary Alan Moore! When I announced the guests this was the one that got the most excitement and I feel certain it will deliver! Since Alan REALLY doesn't do the internet, we are relying on you lot to get the word out to fans, blogs and friends a like:

https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/distraction-pieces-podcast/id929136539

or

The Podcast tab at Scroobiuspip.co.uk

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 September, 2013, 09:34:48 AM
As always with the sublime Moore I do wish he'd qualify his statements a bit - contemporary comics are more than superheroic childhood escapism..

Exactly. I have shelves of comics...not one 'superhero'.
In saying this he is re-enforcing a stereotype that I thought passed many years ago, and one I'm sure he himself would have said had passed back in the day in one of hundreds of 'comics have grown up' interviews.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

TordelBack

Quote from: Skullmo on 18 September, 2014, 03:05:15 PM
'Poor pony. They cut his friggin' tail off. Only left him an inch to swish with'

This remains the funniest post of the year.

Frank

Quote from: sauchie library on 29 October, 2014, 09:40:15 AM
A rare, rare interview with the legendary Alan Moore! When I announced the guests this was the one that got the most excitement and I feel certain it will deliver! Since Alan REALLY doesn't do the internet, we are relying on you lot to get the word out to fans, blogs and friends a like:

https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/distraction-pieces-podcast/id929136539

or

The Podcast tab at Scroobiuspip.co.uk

I listened to this while I was out for a walk, and it was a frustrating experience. Moore's funny and insightful, but Pip's as nervous and awed as any fan, which means he's very indulgent of his host *.

There's a ton of incredibly specific detail on exactly how Moore's new film with Mitch Jenkins made it to the screen, which goes on forever, but if you can stay awake through that, Moore's description of the incredible depth of creativity he's employed during the production process makes it sound as if he's exploring how his Watchmen methodology might be applied in the context of cinema. Moore also performs his spoken word piece, Old Gangsters Never Die, which I haven't heard him do before.

* the interview takes place in Moore's Northampton home, resulting in one of the funniest moments of the chat as the bin men turn up

** in direct opposition to Zac Snyder's approach when making Watchmen, which was to try and transfer what worked best on the page directly onto film

Spaceghost

One of my oldest and bestest friends started, and still runs Lex Records, the company that is behind this project, and he was instrumental in getting these films made with Alan. He also released the Unearthing project which was a collaboration between Alan Moore and various musicians (he also released Scroobius Pip's first single amongst many other lovely musical things including the Neon Neon albums, most of MF DOOM's recent output and an upcoming Ghostface Killer album).

My friend is coming up for the Leeds Film Festival screening, and as a result, I'm on the guest list for tonight's showing of the Show Pieces films and Q and A session at Leeds Town Hall.

I'm hoping that there will be an opportunity for my friend to introduce me to Mr. Moore later on. I'll be sure to ask him to write a new series of Halo Jones, shortly before being asked to leave.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

TordelBack

Gah, can it really be too late for Alan to work this into Jerusalem?  Does it really have to wait for Voice of the Fire 2?