markofthedead

markofthedead

markofthedead

markofthedead

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

pauljholden

It's interesting and graphic and bold. Feel like it's not quite comics though, more a series of illustrations. They're a little too spartan too - there's no sense of place, inside and outside locations are identical limboesque white rooms- and often the lighting doesn't match up (which isn't that big a deal, but when you're leaning so heavily on dramatic lighting when it conflicts it looks very wrong - the shadow of the old guy with the hat [last panel page 2], for example, appears to be from light cast behind him, yet the shadow on him and the other figure seems to be coming from the far right).

Where you've left a piece of art open to have the reader fill in the rest (a good strategy!) you've left out the background [page 5, tier 3 last panel for example]-which means they've got to do a lot of work to picture what it is they're looking. The effect is that the art looks incomplete. The diamond rectangle on this page further hightens that - it looks like a panel that's missing, rather than the window they're looking out of?

So, my advice (for what it's worth) is: more backgrounds, remove lines where you feel the reader can make the leap and maybe don't lean so heavy on photo ref (I may be wrong, but page 5 third tier panel 1 looks like Sylvester McCoy, but he doesn't look like Sylvester McCoy anywhere else...)

-pj

markofthedead

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. It was Sylvester McCoy, I used him for the priest throughout but only one panel ended up looking like him :-) The photo reference comment certainly does identify one of my major shortcomings.

Steven Austin

Hi Mark,

I like the strength in the images but feel that the pictoral narrative lacks flow - largely I think because the images do feel as though they have been lifted from photographs - perhaps a little too literal in that respect.

Love the heavy shadow work on the figures but defo concur with PJ that the panels need more background work - doesn't have to be too detailed but enough to give the reader a sense of the characters belonging - somewhere.

With such heavy shadow on the characters and very little behind them, the story feels as though its playing out on a stage with heavy back-lighting and very few props. I think this is especially true on the first and last panels of page 2 and again on the first panel of page 4 where you (or the writer) have opted for one long panel but you have just placed a floating head in the middle.

The page that feels 'most' complete is page 5 I think - where apart from the confusing diamond in the centre it has a sense of 'almost' being complete.

I would really like to see this again further down the road - could be very cool.

Phuz

Quote from: markofthedead on 11 January, 2014, 07:31:53 AM
page 5

I agree, your use of photo reference is way too direct.

Personally I never use photo ref directly. I do sketches of the reference material, and then put the reference material away. Next I do more sketches of the original sketches, then sometimes sketches of the sketches of the original sketches.

This filters out the direct influence of the reference material but keeps the essence.

markofthedead

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it.

I can see lots of good advice on how to improve. The photo reference stuff certainly is too obvious, I think I've always been influenced by 2000 AD artists like David Roach, Arthur Ransom, Glen Fabry etc who have a realistic style (not that I'm anywhere near as good as them!) but it's something I need to work on.

I also definitely need to work on being less static and storytelling. (BTW: the confusing diamond panel is meant to be just a blank panel in the script where the characters are transported to the alternate dimension, but I should have made all black as it just looks empty as a "white flash")

Thanks everyone

markofthedead

*Ranson*  (Shakes fist at auto correct spelling)

Danbell

markofthedead

Jon

Gah, too much Sorrowhill in a row?

Ah well, thought I'd have a (nother) crack at this as I fizzled out the first time round. Wanted to get more done, but I have to go make a giant snail now.