Main Menu

Non 2000ad artwork that you own ....

Started by Fatboydale, 20 January, 2013, 07:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Ain't Spider-man just the best character for one of those 'moving round the page shots' (I assume that's the technical term!) he's just born for that kinda page. That's bloody lovely.

Ancient Otter

I don't know Sal Busema's artwork at first guess I would thought Mick McMahon from the characters faces!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 25 January, 2013, 09:15:14 PM
I don't know Sal Busema's artwork at first guess I would thought Mick McMahon from the characters faces!

I had the same thought. I've seen Sal Buscema's stuff in the past, and either the inkers over that stuff murdered his work, or this one is brilliant, because I love this spread.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SuperSurfer

Yeah, that Sal Buscema spread is amazing. At first glance I thought it was by John Romita Jnr.

I grew up on a diet of Sal Buscema Avengers and Hulk art in Mighty World of Marvel. He seemed to be drawing Hulk for years (quick glance online – 10 years!).

Quite surprised at how much his style changed.

blackmocco

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 January, 2013, 10:20:13 PM
Quote from: Ancient Otter on 25 January, 2013, 09:15:14 PM

I had the same thought. I've seen Sal Buscema's stuff in the past, and either the inkers over that stuff murdered his work, or this one is brilliant, because I love this spread.

Cheers

Jim

Nah, this is all Sal, Jim. Pencils and inks. He had a great run on Spectacular Spider-Man back in the 90's. Drew a fantastic Carnage and Venom. For me he's a definitive Marvel artist. Certainly my favorite Hulk artist of all time. He gets no love these days. I like to compare him to Ron Smith as he was the guy they knew could bulldoze art out to make a deadline but just like Ron, there's such an energy off his stuff when he's on and sadly, he's never remembered when it comes to the golden boys. Mind you, must have sucked balls having John as your brother! Haha! Talk about looking over your shoulder...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Bolt-01

Seal Buscema- totally agree. His work is always worth a look, especially if he's inking himself. Must get round to scanning my Alan Davis page from Batman and the Outsiders.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: blackmocco on 25 January, 2013, 11:32:18 PM
Nah, this is all Sal, Jim. Pencils and inks.

That's something of a revelation. I really only encountered his work in those B&W Marvel reprints from the 70s and early 80s that used to appear in British newsagents and I had him down as one of a pack of fairly generic Marvel artists of that era, but under his own inks a whole layer of extra energy and character emerges. Very impressed!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

blackmocco

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 January, 2013, 09:31:02 AM
Quote from: blackmocco on 25 January, 2013, 11:32:18 PM
Nah, this is all Sal, Jim. Pencils and inks.

That's something of a revelation. I really only encountered his work in those B&W Marvel reprints from the 70s and early 80s that used to appear in British newsagents and I had him down as one of a pack of fairly generic Marvel artists of that era, but under his own inks a whole layer of extra energy and character emerges. Very impressed!

Cheers

Jim

Well, in all fairness, that's how history has treated him. He was never some groundbreaking artist in terms of his style, I accept that. His style never really evolved that much. It was always pretty predictable in terms of staging and design (All his women look like they stepped out of How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way) and sometimes his posing looked terribly flat. I guess it's one of those cases where you can tell when he's phoning it in and other times where he's excited about what he's drawing. His run on Spidey was awesome though. Playing around with lots of black and lots of interesting splash pages. His work's not particularly expensive either. I read an interview with him and gradually he just got phased out from the A-list and that always makes me sad to hear. A real workhorse and his art's like comfort food to me. You know what to expect most of the time but it's exactly how you'd like it.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

james newell

I have this work from Will Kirkby, really love it!

check out his latest works on http://chamonkee.tumblr.com/

Spikes

When it comes to original art i havent really got a lot of non-2000ad stuff, but was pleased to pick up a few pages from this story - the ufo connection, featuring art by Herb Trimpe and Klaus Janson.

First came across this story reprinted in the pages of Star Wars Weekly back in the day, and it had always stuck in my mind. It first saw print in those oversized Marvel Preview Mags, over in the States.

Colin YNWA

Its funny most times when art is put up here people talk about the penciler but when its inked by Klaus Janson he gets a mention. He's such an inking giant. Love, love love his stuff.

Last of the V8's

Never posted my art collection before so maybe it's about time so here are some of my non -2000ad pages.
Enjoy. Marc lamning Planet of the Apes, and 2 pages of fully painted Siku.
2 pages of Battle Picture weekly Jim watson back page art. More later.

Last of the V8's

Well you can see what I was going to post but it didn't come out. What have  I done wrong? Help!!

ming

Quote from: Last of the V8's on 27 January, 2013, 08:20:03 PM
Well you can see what I was going to post but it didn't come out. What have  I done wrong? Help!!

Looks like you tried to post links to the photo streams as images, rather than links to the images themselves.  Fixed :)

Fatboydale

Michael Zulli and Scott Mccloud .... i think ...