Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: Professor Bear on 03 August, 2017, 08:39:25 PM
Star Trek: Khan: Ruling In Hell

Funny enough, I was just reading about this yesterday - probably because 'Space Seed' happened to be on the Horror Channel. I can't say I like the sound of Marla as the victim of a deliberate internecine eeling - gives Khan less cause to blame Kirk.

Professor Bear

Only got around to reading it because someone mentioned it on the Star Trek Discovery thread.  I'm rather put off IDW's Trek books at this stage because they don't seemed to be aimed at people who are that into Trek.  I tried to figure it out with science but this is as far as I got:

Mind you, they wouldn't still be publishing them if they were bombing - that Trek licence can't be cheap - so mine is likely a minority opinion.

The Adventurer

I won't say I've read many of the IDW Star Trek comics. But the one I did read, Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes. Was fantastic.

That said I'm also a massive fan of the Battlestar reboot. And enjoy the Abrams Trek films. And appreciate the Trek shows, even if I can't quite motivate myself to watch them very often.

But I generally steer away from licensed comics, especially at IDW. As I generally feel they put too much effort into cover variants, and not very much into... you know... the comic itself.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Professor Bear

I may have been joshing there, but I appreciate that it's often impossible to tell.

Smith

Quote from: The Adventurer on 04 August, 2017, 01:02:48 AM
But I generally steer away from licensed comics, especially at IDW. As I generally feel they put too much effort into cover variants, and not very much into... you know... the comic itself.
Them are fighting word.
Their TMNT and Transformes have both been amazing.I cant recommend them enough.

JLC

Haven't read this since it was originally published. Remember it being great.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JLC on 04 August, 2017, 10:13:59 AM

It is. It's quite brilliant.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 August, 2017, 10:48:13 AM
He's right, you know.
We never really die.

Max Headroom

Can anyone who has read Milligan's 'Egypt' confirm if it is as good as 'Enigma'? (Sadly, the former never made into a trade paperback, but I'm still hopeful that one day it will).

The Adventurer

Quote from: Smith on 04 August, 2017, 09:55:51 AM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 04 August, 2017, 01:02:48 AM
Them are fighting word.
Their TMNT and Transformes have both been amazing.I cant recommend them enough.

Regeneration One was pretty great (you really can't go wrong with Simon Furman), and I have read a good chunk of More then Meets the Eye/Robots in Disguise. And while I enjoyed those, I found their focus to be a bit all over the place.

As for TMNT, I can only say I read the first 6 or 7 issues of the ongoing, and the micro-series issues, and my feeling was; they were trying to strike a middle ground between the 90s show and the Mirage comic. And I just didn't feel it. I think I was just too much of a fan of Peter Laird's TMNT Vol.4 run to accept anything else as thee Turtles comic. Also the art wasn't so great at the time. I hear Andy Kuhn has been killing it lately though, I dig that guy's art a lot.

Smith

That's your opinion and not a fact.Thou,from what I noticed you cant really form a opinion and just parrot stuff you heard.

The Adventurer

Everything I stated was an opinion based on what I've read. I never claimed it to be universal fact. What are you talking about?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: I, Cosh on 04 August, 2017, 11:00:05 AM
He's right, you know.

Yep read this not too long ago and can only agree with our two learned gentlemen.

Fungus

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 August, 2017, 05:44:18 PM
He's right, you know.

Yep read this not too long ago and can only agree with our two learned gentlemen.

Everyone is right. There is harmony across this gruntled land.

I read it once on publication and it was nice. Fegredo is wildly good.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Fungus on 04 August, 2017, 07:10:03 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 August, 2017, 05:44:18 PM
He's right, you know.

Everyone is right. There is harmony across this gruntled land.

I read it once on publication and it was nice. Fegredo is wildly good.

Oh someone will come along soon and tell us we're wrong, or it shouldn't have a lady in it... not that they've read it ever... or something like that...