Main Menu

Prog 2081 - Homies under der hammer

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 May, 2018, 01:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: A.Cow on 18 May, 2018, 12:15:33 AM
Even 'U' certificate Star Wars has a fairly high body count.

Discounting Death Star destruction not as high as The Clone Wars (TV-PG) which feels closer to early 2000AD in terms of kill count plus the odd stabbing here or there.

JOE SOAP

And Rebels (TV-Y7) isn't much different; lots of killing there. Only difference is Ulysses 31 Ezra can only shock people with the blaster part of his lightsaber.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: A.Cow on 18 May, 2018, 12:15:33 AM
I'm a bit confused at that.  What age range is Regened aimed at?  The early progs were packed with people being shot dead by the hero; they were (presumably) targeting 7-12 year olds at the time.

The difference with Regened is they can't really show kids (Cadet Dredd) killing people.

Steve Green

I think the other main shift is that the characters should be the cooler older siblings or similar age to the readership (see last podcast)

With 2000 AD and Starlord it wasn't the case, the characters were mostly 30+. Bill Savage is a world away from the all-ages template of today.

I'm not sure if Dredd works as an all-ages strip other than the odd one-off, it just seems to have too many things to scare the parents, and end up having to naked Austin Powers it to avoid having Cadet Dredd shoot/stab/bludgeon someone.

Johnny Alpha to a lesser extent, but you'd probably be better coming up with new characters than trying to refactor existing killers.

Frank

Steve Green

Been listening to a lot of Space Spinner 2K.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 May, 2018, 01:52:58 PM
Quote from: A.Cow on 18 May, 2018, 12:15:33 AMEven 'U' certificate Star Wars has a fairly high body count.

Especially graphic too, if you consider BBQ Beru and strangled Captain Antilles...

The biggest issue at the time was the alien blood in the cantina.

A.Cow

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 May, 2018, 03:19:39 PM
The difference with Regened is they can't really show kids (Cadet Dredd) killing people.

Fair point; well made.

Richard

QuoteThe difference with Regened is they can't really show kids (Cadet Dredd) killing people

Why can't they?  Kids would love that.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richard on 19 May, 2018, 01:06:52 AM

I'll let you mull over that one.

Steve Green

QuoteThe difference with Regened is they can't really show kids (Cadet Dredd) killing people

They're doing well enough at that in real life.

A.Cow

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 May, 2018, 09:31:01 AM
They're doing well enough at that in real life.

Easily solved.  Forget the Cadet part.

Regened seems to be built on that flawed belief that kids will only consume stuff featuring other kids.  It's a popular misconception among focus-group-obsessed TV producers, who fail to notice the same audience flocking to watch middle-aged men in superhero films.

JOE SOAP

Or they just want to do something different with the character that hasn't been done as a series before i.e. we all ready have original Judge Dredd, Lawman of the Future, Judge Dredd Year One.

Krakajac

Surprised to find the rather glaring typo in the Strontium Dog strip hasn't been mentioned yet?

If I'm correct, the story is set on the planet 'Protoz', right?

However, when Johnny sets off the time bomb, it states, 'the time bomb sends the robot hurtling seconds into the future - by which time EARTH has moved on...'

Yes, technically EARTH would've moved on as well, but I reckon they meant 'Protoz'. :)

sheridan

Quote from: Krakajac on 23 May, 2018, 08:58:30 AM
Surprised to find the rather glaring typo in the Strontium Dog strip hasn't been mentioned yet?

If I'm correct, the story is set on the planet 'Protoz', right?

However, when Johnny sets off the time bomb, it states, 'the time bomb sends the robot hurtling seconds into the future - by which time EARTH has moved on...'

Yes, technically EARTH would've moved on as well, but I reckon they meant 'Protoz'. :)

I did wonder about that when it was mentioned on this thread - I hadn't thought it took place on Earth (what with mutant bounty hunters being banned on the planet and all) but haven't re-read the strip since.