Main Menu

PC Down

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 31 October, 2005, 03:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

You got the drivers for the modem, etc. Ade?

Banners

You can access the Bios by pressing a key whilst the system boots - usually "Del" I think? You should see a quick glimpse of the options when you first get the old black-and-white MS-DOS screen.

M@

Funt Solo

I had a USB webcam that only worked on Win98 and is just a useless lump of hi-tech plastic as far as XP is concerned.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Adrian Bamforth

"You got the drivers for the modem, etc. Ade?"

Well I don't remember having one on CD when I first got the computer, as I say it's built-in rather than external.

The scanner should work with the PC since it's the same one I used with XP before the crash (though before I used Home edition, now I have Professional, might this be why it's not detected things?)

ADE

Noisybast

It's highly unlikely you'll find anything to do with your peripheral devices in the BIOS. I'd leave well alone if you're not sure.

I'd say your scanner problems are probably going to be caused by one of two things:

1. The scanner's not XP compatible.
   Mine's not. That's why I'm still using Win2K.
Or
2. Was the scanner left connected while you installed XP?
Some USB devices refuse to work at all if they're installed that way. It's something to do with the way Windows sets them up at install.
Best way is to install XP first, then connect any USB devices. XP will then detect 'em for you.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Steve Green

If you still have problems getting them to work, find out the make of the stroppy devices and google for XP drivers for them. What are the make/model of the modem and scanner?

Occasionally you may get devices which won't auto-install but will work if you get hold of the drivers yourself and install them manually.

Of course it is possible that they never got XP drivers written for them as Noisybast has said.

- Steve

Adrian Bamforth

Thanks, I've finally got my scanner working, I found the drivers on the scanner CD when I explored it (running it just lets you install some programs).

Think some way some the modem must hace stopped working when I opened the machine to put the hard drive in and blew the dust off, so I'm getting a new modem since it's quite cheap.

Hopefully this'll all pay off by learning how it all works in side.

Cheers,

ADE

Steve Green

Cool, glad you're nearly up and running again.

- Steve

Adrian Bamforth

Nearly there, got a new modem and I'm back online. Jyust one niggling thing though, whenever I plug my modem in (into an splitter plug), all the phones in my house for some reason let off a long ring tone - what's that all about?

ADE

Noisybast

That'll be the poltergeists that live in the modem. Just shout into the mic and they'll behave.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

WoD

I was thinking Ade is possessed, or at least his PC is.

Quirkafleeg

If I pull my internet connection from the phone socket (while it's still live) instead of disconnecting it via my pc when I reconnect the phone it'll occasionally ring a couple of times. It's a ghost.