Main Menu

UNDT - Quarter Finals

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 September, 2020, 06:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Oh bugger I'm not ready... bear with me folks I'll get stuff sorted over the weekend and we'll be good to go early next week hopefully.

In the meantime admire your quarter finalists:

Mean Angel
Wuffy Malletchops
Nemesis
Torquemada
Nikolai Dante
Halo Jones
Judge Anderson
Johnny Alpha

Colin YNWA

Well there's litte point now being surprised by results and in Round 4 we were down to the big hitter and here its of cours even more so. That said one result stands out as one I was expecting. I fully expected Chopper to cross the line against Mean. Mean was a fantastic character from the outset but has become a bit of a caricature of himself these days. Mind he is a wonderful piece of design. Ol' Marlon has grown and developed over the years and I've really enjoyed watching him grow up and his steady and slow growth, in parallel with Dredd is testament to that strips and worlds greatest weapon, it real time progression.

There are also, of course, personal disappointments and the progression of Hammertime over the greatest beast of 2000ad ever, the Queen of all Villains and a surprisingly well realised character when her primary function was to eat cowboys is something it will take me time to get over.

Slaine got a tough draw, but for me went out at the right time. He has developed over the years in a way that would be quite satisfying I imagine, if I hadn't lost hope and involvement with the series some time ago.

I'll be popping the 'rules' up again later today and then the timetable at this time looks like this.

Quarters starting Monday and Tuesday this week ending Thursday, Friday

Semi's will be one a day Monday and Tuesday the week after (I hope) ending again Thursday + Friday of that week.

The 3rd and 4th place start the Monday after that and the Final running until the Friday from the Tuesday.

Somehow I've managed to make this one run into October. The a bit a break I think as you folks must be getting sick of all this and I have a couple of ideas of what to so next, if folks want more?

abelardsnazz

I've found these a lot of fun Colin so I for one am happy for you to do more if you have the time.

broodblik

I am on the same page, I enjoyed these the last few months. It was a good distraction from the planetary gloom-and-doom.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Greg M.

Observations and predictions: The big two here are obvious and always have been, their objective success as characters being twinned with near-universal support. Where it gets interesting is that Wulf and Mean – for me, the two weakest characters here – have had consistently strong support and are, in my opinion, massively punching above their (not inconsiderable, in Wulf's case) weight. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see either take out superior characters like Nemesis or Halo who've had much rockier roads to reach this stage. Unless she runs into Johnny or Tomas, Cassandra's broad popularity should get her through (no matter what you like in comics, there's an era of Anderson for you) but it's anyone's guess how the others will fare.

broodblik

My prediction is that it will most likely be a final between Alpha and Torquemada (except if they meet during the next rounds)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Greg M.

Probably the most interesting thing will be seeing how Nikolai Dante does. He's not a universally-beloved character - there are swathes of fandom who either can't stand him or are left cold by him - but that doesn't seem to be echoed by his results in this tournament, where he's run into little trouble to date.

broodblik

Nikolai Dante I do not think will go trough to the next round as you are saying a lot of people do not like the character.

Greg M.

But equally, a lot of people do. Particularly those who've been voting so far.

Colin YNWA

The telling thing about Dante's chances is he was only a runner up in the second round. Wulf took the group and Hammerstein was knocked out (with Aquila) it was a tough group. Since then he's not had push overs. I did wonder how he's fare against Devlin Waugh and definately Blackblood but made relatively short work of both. We'll see who he gets now (well I know) but regardless I think that second round has marked him as on his back foot.

Colin YNWA

Quick recap of the 'Rules' for what they are!

1. In each of the 4 face-offs there will be a thread. You vote for the character you'd like to go through to the Semi Finals between each pairing. To do that just type the name of the character you'd like to progress in a reply to that thread.

1a: There will be 2 votes launched a day so we'll get this round done in a neat 2 days and hopefully won't swamp the General Topics section too much. Each vote lasts 3 full days typically starting and ending early (before I start work) in the morning.

1b: Each vote or 'Face-off' (I still imagine the two characters facing off over shots of strong Mongolian liquor al la Karen Allen and that bearded bloke in Raiders) has been drawn at random, no restrictions anymore.

2. You can chat away to your heart's content - in fact I actively encourage you to discuss, dissect and debate why you like one character over another. All I ask is you try to make it clear who you are voting for.

3. After 3 days I will count up the votes in each vote and the character with the most votes will progress into the next round.

4. In the event of a tie I will have any casting votes needed (I will therefore not vote in the actual face offs)

5. What makes the best character - well that's up to you. It's not meant to be the best, or most stories a character appears in, it's how much you like the character. That could be best design, most interesting, heck you can decide it on who would win in a fight for all I care. All I ask is this is about the character not specifically their story.

So in Round One even though I love the strip Lawless above all others I actually gave a casting vote to Devlin Waugh over Metta Lawson as I think he's the better character, even if I prefer the story Metta appears (I do love you Metta I promise!)

6. As ever I'm making this up as I go along and might change things as I go on? Or add rules as they need to be added.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Keep going Colin- I've really enjoyed them so far and as a direct result of these, I've been coming to the forum a lot more than I have previously done, of late.

SBT

Magnetica

So is the draw random, or have you seeded it?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 20 September, 2020, 08:00:21 PM
So is the draw random, or have you seeded it?

Random draw all the way.

Bolt-01

It's the only way.

Really enjoying these, Colin. Thanks again.