Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Cooling

Quote from: Modern Panther on 20 June, 2017, 05:58:45 PM

DUP complain about the Conservative "lack of negotiating experience".  That bodes well for Europe.  Right Wing Unionists failing to sell right wing unionism to Right Wing Unionists, but don't worry about sorting out all those trade deals folks, that'll be fine.

What exactly could the DUP be asking for that the Tories, who happily out Ukipped Ukip, aren't willing to hand them to remain in power?

End to austerity.
Formerly WIll@The Nexus

Tjm86

The Guardian is reporting that they are not overly impressed with the tenor of some of the comments coming from the Tory backbenchers.  It's a scary place to be, in agreement with them on something.  First day of Brexit negotiation saw DD fold on parallel negotiations.  While Grenfell gave us a degree of respite from this Cluster Flob (for those who have seen the sanitised version of Heartbreak Ridge), it looks like we are back to the Chaos and Mayhem show.  Unfortunately  it looks like their event management skills are seriously lacking!

Professor Bear

What I'm not clear on is how the Tories can exercise the executive power of government if they haven't formed one?  Is this why they've cancelled the Queen's speech: because she can't yet acknowledge the government as legitimate?

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 20 June, 2017, 08:21:21 PM
What I'm not clear on is how the Tories can exercise the executive power of government if they haven't formed one?  Is this why they've cancelled the Queen's speech: because she can't yet acknowledge the government as legitimate?
I thought they'd cancelled next year's Queen's speech?

IndigoPrime

From what I'm hearing from lawyers, the Tories are fine in that they know they can pass the speech, but after that they could be in the shit if the DUP goes for broke. A smarter move would have been a more moderate QS and a cross-party Brexit, so Lab/LD may have supported the QS. Zero chance now.

Professor Bear

Quote from: sheridan on 20 June, 2017, 08:23:48 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 20 June, 2017, 08:21:21 PM
I thought they'd cancelled next year's Queen's speech?

Last I heard, the speech was postponed until after a deal was made, and as yet there's no deal.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 20 June, 2017, 09:47:34 PM
Last I heard, the speech was postponed until after a deal was made, and as yet there's no deal.

The 'deal' in question being 'forming a viable government'.  Bloody pig's ear, and I come from the land of dodgy coalitions.  The Queen should appoint Lord Buckethead as Arbiter of Succession, things will move along again once once all the ja'chuqs are complete.

Jim_Campbell

Amusingly, the constituency boundary review that was all about 'fairness' is now apparently dead in the water since the new electoral calculus suggests it wouldn't hand the Tories a 30-seat majority and might imperil the likes of Boris Johnson and IDS. Oh, and hand Sinn Fein a majority at Stormont.

So let's stop pretending that was ever about fairness, shall we?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

IndigoPrime

I'm surprised they'd kill the review. Electoral Calculus reckons it's still benefit the Tories, albeit not. Early to the level it would have done before the last election. It'd also knaxker the Lib Dems  and decapitate the Greens.

Mikey

Quote from: Modern Panther on 20 June, 2017, 05:58:45 PM

DUP complain about the Conservative "lack of negotiating experience".  That bodes well for Europe.  Right Wing Unionists failing to sell right wing unionism to Right Wing Unionists, but don't worry about sorting out all those trade deals folks, that'll be fine.

What exactly could the DUP be asking for that the Tories, who happily out Ukipped Ukip, aren't willing to hand them to remain in power?

No, no, no. You've got it wrong - protracted negotiations with no real progress that you blame Themuns for is a national fuckin sport for NI politicians. I suspect the Tories hadn't been paying attention and thought getting agreement from the DUP would be a cake walk.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 June, 2017, 09:13:39 AM
I'm surprised they'd kill the review. Electoral Calculus reckons it's still benefit the Tories, albeit not. Early to the level it would have done before the last election. It'd also knaxker the Lib Dems  and decapitate the Greens.

Yes, it would benefit the Tories (although not to the amount originally thought) but it would disadvantage every other party, and hand Sinn Fein a majority in Ulster, meaning not even the DUP would vote for it. They'd never get it through.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Theblazeuk

Tories spent £12m in the 2017 election . Astonishing levels of money in comparison to the other parties, closest of which was Labour on £4m. And do you really need to spend anything when you've got all that spin and propaganda from the press for nowt?

Every day that passes by, I just think of "CRUSH THE SABOTEURS" from the Mail, and I smile a little. Hanging on against the odds can be enough in the face of such ****ery.

(Sadly none of this stops the pound from falling again after that tiny, pathetic little attempt to claw back some value.)

IndigoPrime

Sterling is fucked. About the only thing that can save a long-term slide to $1=£1 is for the UK to miraculously keeps its place within the single market and possibly also the customs union.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Having seen Link Primes's soon to be home how many Britains will apply to live in Ireland since it is still in the EU? Could a big influx of foreign immigrants upset the Irish and the Northern Ireland Peace process?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla