Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Frank

Hawkmumbler

Dredd Head

Do you think Tharg would deliver to mars  :-*

Frank

Worryingly, that article explains how the suicidal settlers of Mars will eat, capture solar energy, and extract/recycle water; but not how they plan on breathing, on a planet whose atmosphere is mostly composed of carbon dioxide. I'll admit to sometimes setting out on long car journeys and winging it as far as where fuel and food stops are going to be found, but I'm always reasonably certain where my oxygen's going to be coming from.

Dredd Head

People live in the International Space Station and they seem to be ok, I think outside of buildings people would wear suits, Although don't know how that would work

Zarjazzer

Quote from: sauchie on 17 April, 2013, 05:24:59 PM
GET YOUR ASS TO MARS (one way only)

this is so cool. We need to do this as a species if we're serious about survival long term. The next giant leap on the way to the stars.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sauchie on 17 April, 2013, 06:29:02 PM
but not how they plan on breathing, on a planet whose atmosphere is mostly composed of carbon dioxide.

Umm... electricity + water = Hydrogen + oxygen.

Carbon dioxide + plants + water = bigger plants + oxygen.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dredd Head

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 April, 2013, 06:40:53 PM

That comment took me right back to science in school  :lol:

Hawkmumbler

but not how they plan on breathing, on a planet whose atmosphere is mostly composed of carbon dioxide.

Carbon dioxide + plants + water = bigger plants + oxygen + Carbon Dioxide

Cheers

Jim
FIFY. Let us not forget that the humble lily also respires. That will have to be factored in as far as quantity of plants goes.

Frank

electricity + water = Hydrogen + oxygen.

Aye, I know, and that's fine in theory and under Earth conditions, but they're planning on extracting and distilling what little water will be available to them from (as far as I'm aware) entirely theoretical deposits deep under the martian soil, and relying on the caprices of solar power for their electricity supply.

I'm not sure if even that crazy Russian experiment where volunteers spent two years breathing recycled air and drinking recycled water was so stringent that they completely sealed in and cut off their lab rats' supplies of oxygen and access to back-up power supplies - or that they demonstrated an ability to generate new supplies of oxygen under those conditions. The International Space Station relies on regular deliveries of O2 from Mama Earth and both the onboard oxygen generation system and the power go on the blink all the time, necessitating rescue/repair missions which wouldn't be an option on Mars.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sauchie on 17 April, 2013, 07:21:06 PM
Aye, I know, and that's fine in theory and under Earth conditions

Pah! You bother me with details?! Where's your sense of adventure, man?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 April, 2013, 07:29:26 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 17 April, 2013, 07:21:06 PM
Aye, I know, and that's fine in theory and under Earth conditions

Pah! You bother me with details?! Where's your sense of adventure, man?

You're right, Jim; I'm a paranoiac wimp. I'm still taking a wooly hat and gloves on my walk to work just in case, and every jacket I own has an emergency pound coin in one of the pockets.

Spikes