Main Menu

New Dan Dare Series from Titan

Started by Tjm86, 07 July, 2017, 03:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Looks like Titan are having another shot with Dare.  Milligan on writing duties.  Weston on variant cover duties.  not familiar with the interior artist but it doesn't look too bad.

Greg M.

I was just reading about that too. Much as I love his work, Pete Milligan is not the most obvious choice for this. I will try it out though. Expect Dan to go a bit surreal and self-referential (or maybe we'll be treated to excerpts from Danny Dare's diary.)

Woolly

That interior art looks a bit .. bland to me.
Some great individual panels, but the designs are all a bit meh.

Daveycandlish

I'm such a huge fan of Frank Hampson's work that that looks a bit...

... well, not of the same quality.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Professor Bear

While Milligan is by no stretch a bad writer, he seems a leftfield choice.  Visuals aren't bad, but seem lacking in the kind of distinctive style one would usually associate with Britcomics.  I would have gone for someone like Brendan McCarthy, but God knows what might happen if you put those two together again.

Michael Knight

im looking forward to this. Loved Virgin Comics Garth Ennis Dredd. That really lived up to my expectations.

Colin YNWA

Well quite excited about this cos one way or another (and lets be honest Milligan isn't the obvious choice!) its going to be interested. Defo giving this a whirl and if its half as good as Ennis I'll be happy.

JayzusB.Christ

Aye, Pete Milligan will do well to match Garth Ennis's work on the last one.  My grud, I never thought I'd type a sentence like that back in Garth's Dredd days.

I also liked Grant Morrison's dark, twisted take on Dare - It definitely wasn't for everyone, I realise.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Eric Plumrose

Dan's use of owt deadlier than paralyzing gas was as rare as Treens' teeth, so looks promising.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

matty_ae

That looks horrible on every level except for Chris Weston's variant cover.

Dare needs a very specific standard of draftsmanship & detail and nether that cover nor interior have it.

Eurgh.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

The Weston cover is by far the best of the three, but I don't mind the interior art. Looks like the story might be fun.

I grew up in the 80s, when Dan Dare was as prolific as Judge Dredd, and I welcome any and all efforts to return him to prominence.

JLC

The interior art looks awful, especially The Mekon. I'll stick to the recent audio dramas which really capture the spirit of Dare well.